Alpha-gal

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Had a recent tick bite looked at for possible Lyme disease. The doc had a bunch of blood tests done including for Alpha-gal Syndrome (AGS); result was a high positive. So no mammalian meat or dairy for me, at least for a while. I'll be seeing an allergist for further evaluation, but for now I'm looking at a big change in lifestyle.
Anybody else dealing with this? It's getting more common as tick populations grow and spread. Beware!

A few years ago I started breaking out in hives and had mouth swelling for no apparent reason. Doctor tested me for many things including Alpha Gal. Fortunately I was negative for Alpha Gal but the tests show I had developed an allergy to diary (allergic to a protein in dairy). So no milk, cheese or butter for me. Avoiding dairy is very difficult --it is in so many things that you would never suspect. Eating out is very difficult (for example, McDonalds fries have diary in them). No more dinners at friends houses (unless I take my own or closely determine all ingredients), no more covered dish suppers etc. The silver lining is that I have lost weight without trying. Good luck to you Bobot, you have my sympathy.

DW is allergic to the protein in milk also. It is indeed difficult to eat away from home. Thankfully her allergic reaction is limited to a GI response vs anything life threatening but still a very uncomfortable next day and certainly not something one wants to deal with on a trip.

My son was tested a few years ago for Alpha Gal long before many had heard of it. He tested hi positive as well. We don't think he ever got bit by a tick so maybe from an animal that was bitten by tick. We did special diet for a couple of years and have slowly gotten away from it. He doesn't eat a lot of meat and no dairy. Mostly chicken. Not an easy diet to follow. So far so good with his limited meat intake

There was not much interest when I started a thread about this in 2015.

Not sure if she has this or not but a 10 year old niece has been battling Lyme disease for a few years now. Last year she spent all summer and most of the fall at a clinic in Florida that specializes in Lyme treatment. She is doing better but still has a long way to go to be a normal kid again.
Her family is raising rabbits and quails and that is their main source of protein.

Very sorry to hear that. I got bitten by two Lone Star ticks a few years ago and learned about this. Best of luck in managing this.

After a couple of days feeling sorry for myself (no bacon? no cheese? waahhh) I've grudgingly come to accept that this may actually be a positive thing in terms of health. But I'm taking every opportunity to be self-indulgent -more mayo on that turkey sandwich!
Thanks for your kind responses.

DH was bitten by a tick a few days ago and went to Urgent Care. The doctor there gave him a prescription to protect against Lyme Disease, but I don't know the extent of any blood tests. That might be something to discuss with his doctor when he comes home.

Feel better Bobot!

Back
Top Bottom