Amazon Prime at Whole Foods

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is it worth signing up for Amazon Prime just for the discounts at whole foods? I realize it depends on how much we spend at whole foods, but we would buy more there if the discounts were significant. It bothers me that the discount is just on 'sale' and 'selected' items at whole foods.

We have minimal contact with Amazon otherwise, and usually get free shipping on most of their items anyway.

In my very limited experience shopping at Whole Foods, the discount is on only very few items.

I doubt I would save the cost of the Prime membership just at WF. I have Prime for the included streaming first and shipping second so any WF discounts are nice but not essential for me.

The discount is not that great, and it's on a few things and rotates. It's more like, here's 6 things on special this week. You'd have to be a very dedicated WF shopper to break even on Prime alone that way.

I do recommend though the amazon credit card, as you get 5% back at WF as well as all your amazon purchases, prime or not.

Took me awhile to realize I need to install the Whole Foods app to get any discount. I thought just using my Chase Amazon prime credit card would work, but no. App is the new credit card :(.

IMO, Whole Foods still costs a lot. I only buy a few things where prices are reasonable.

I would say 'No'. There's a Whole Foods near us, but I much prefer Trader Joes.

A couple of weeks ago, I needed a couple of things and happened to be next to the Whole Foods and so ran in there. I showed the Amzn app when I checked out but was in a hurry and did not check until I got home. I did get a discount on one item, but got sticker shock on a couple of others - much higher prices than I expected.

As mentioned, there are relatively few items discounted for Prime members while Whole Foods prices seem higher than other grocery stores. I am a long time Amzn Prime member, but the Whole Foods discount is not a factor for me.

We have the Amazon 5% cash back visa which we use exclusively for Amazon and Whole Foods; otherwise we use the Fidelity 2% cash back on everything. For us, the 3% cash back spread pays for a large chunk of the cost of the Prime membership. We only buy sale items at Whole Foods as they are generally more expensive than other options. Also, we do enjoy the Prime Video and other benefits.

Amazon having difficulties with WF on-line deliveries per WSJ today.

Fortunately Prime is a business expense for us, but we purchased 15 organic whole chickens for $2.19/lb with the Amazon/WF relationship. If we had the Amazon CC, would have been a greater savings, but we were happy with the poultry shelf in freezer full! I read the weekly email from WF, and if worth savings, we make the trip. YMMV

Even with the Amazon Prime CC 5% discount and when I am in a "Blow the Dough" mood, I can't bring myself to pay WF prices for most of what I buy. I would feel like a sucker. If I am going to willfully over spend by $20-$40 I would rather give the money to the local food bank.

There biggest problem is that Trader Joes is just down the road.

OTOH, WF has a few things that the other local markets don't have so I do occasionally shop there. I really like their version of baked BBq beans with no sugar.

Now, if we could only get Aldi or Lidl in my area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom