Amazon Prime price increase to $139/yr

I was offered 30 day free Prime. Don't really use to get full benefit but for people who buy frequently on Amazon, it's a good deal.

It was inevitable because of higher shipping costs.

Here's an interesting strategy I read about:

If you already have the service or want to sign up for the first time, you can lock in the current price of $119/year. All you need to do is purchase a “Gift of Prime” membership for yourself, which essentially allows you to buy a one year Amazon Prime membership at the current rate. After you’ve done this, set your subscription to not auto-renew. Once your membership expires, you can apply your purchased one year membership to your account.

I haven't tried this, but it looks like it should work.

It’s a smaller increase percentage-wise than those that have happened since I joined at $79/yr.

[ADDED] Looks like my membership was just renewed for a year in late January. But I’ll update my annual budget going forward.

Last edited:
Hopefully, anyone concerned with the $20 hike in prime also owns a few shares
29143-albums238-picture2540.png

Still a good deal if you use some of the "added stuff" like Prime movies, Prime music, and the free Prime-Twitch subscriptions. I happen to use those and for me, it might well make sense to have Amazon Prime even if I never used the shipping angle (which actually, I do use a lot). So for me, lots of bang for the buck, even at $139

I agree on the added stuff aspect although I couldn’t care less about Whole Foods. Nothing against them but their local store is a nightmare and I never go. Poor location choice.

I finally got around to opening a Prime Rewards credit card and that’s nice too. No idea why it took me so long.

Just saw the announcement. You knew it was coming!

Amazon Prime cost is on the rise

A price increase for Amazon Prime was announced during Amazon’s earnings report on Thursday. The price change will go into effect on Feb. 18, 2022, and for current Prime members, the new price will apply after March 25, 2022, on the date of their next renewal.
My prime membership [-]is about to renew in a few days[/-] just renewed as it happens!

Last edited:
No point for us. All we ever do is buy stuff, none of the other add-ons. We always buy enough to qualify for free shipping, and more than half the time we get the product within 3 or 4 days anyhow. Last time I bought chocolate it was late in the afternoon and I got it delivered the next day.

Hopefully, anyone concerned with the $20 hike in prime also owns a few shares
29143-albums238-picture2540.png

Could not agree more. Started buying today at 2790 and was hoping for a nice earnings release. If it didn't pop I was OK holding. Expect several analyst upgrades tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ownyourfuture
0.054 pennies a day.........Good God No!
0.055 if you round up, actually............
Dollars, not pennies, actually. $0.055 or 5.5 pennies a day.

Originally Posted by ownyourfuture
0.054 pennies a day.........Good God No!
Dollars, not pennies, actually. $0.055 or 5.5 pennies a day.

I recall a pitch made by a mortgage broker trying to sell a variable rate mortgage to us back in 2005. "Even in the worst of times, it will only go up mere pennies..." We didn't go with that product but figured that over the 9 years we would have had that loan, the monthly payment would have "only gone up 18,700 pennies" a month. :cool:

It's a win-win for Amazon, recall reading somewhere that as the cost for Prime goes up people end up buying more to justify the cost and maximize the benefits of Prime, and very few drop it.

My recent renewal was charged to the Prime card and, according to the statement, qualified for the 5% reward. Hey, I’ll take it. :)

I agree on the added stuff aspect although I couldn’t care less about Whole Foods. Nothing against them but their local store is a nightmare and I never go. Poor location choice.

I finally got around to opening a Prime Rewards credit card and that’s nice too. No idea why it took me so long.
Same here!

No point for us. All we ever do is buy stuff, none of the other add-ons. We always buy enough to qualify for free shipping, and more than half the time we get the product within 3 or 4 days anyhow. Last time I bought chocolate it was late in the afternoon and I got it delivered the next day.

Same here. I try to minimize/consolidate orders anyway. Also, I was annoyed that I was getting lousy shipping early in the pandemic so I dropped prime and haven't missed it.

Still a good deal if you use some of the "added stuff" like Prime movies, Prime music, and the free Prime-Twitch subscriptions. I happen to use those and for me, it might well make sense to have Amazon Prime even if I never used the shipping angle (which actually, I do use a lot). So for me, lots of bang for the buck, even at $139

One of the added features of Prime is that DW can store her photos on their cloud. Combine that with the free shipping for something we use frequently, then there’s still a lot of value. Of course no increase is a good increase but it’s still a good value.

I had cancelled Prime when they raised the price to $119 (from $99 I believe).

I'm usually 5-6 years ahead of trend. To give an example.. When majority of people associated Amazon with just Books.. I was purchasing most of materials, supplies, merchandise for my wife's startup shop at that time, on Amazon. When our then accountant saw the yearly amount we spent on Amazon.. she asked, suspiciously: "How many books are you buying from Amazon for your Business" :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom