Amazon Prime vs Netflix

Well, around here Amazon Prime orders are delivered by UPS, I've never had a lost package or had one delivered at odd hours or had boxes left in the rain.... Deliveries are the same way after I got Prime as before.

Sounds like Prime's delivery service depends on area. I requested Amazon ship via UPS, but they claimed they had no way to do that. I reported the troubles with the substandard, non-UPS delivery service employed for Prime in my area, but except for credits for lost packages, that resulted in no improvement. I ended up cancelling Prime. I'd probably have kept the streaming if that could be had without the problematic Prime shipping, but Amazon refused to unbundle the two.

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have been too lazy to try to figure out which one really has more of the stuff I like to watch (mostly British series). But that's a good idea to make the comparison!

I definitely make use of Prime's free delivery, so the question would be: is there content on Netflix that's not on Amazon that I can't live without?

Today's happy discovery: Hulu has all the old Inspector Morse episodes! :dance:
Netflix only has them on DVD (not streaming), and they're not free on Amazon.
I don't mind the commercials on Hulu...

+1 I have both as well.

I'm also a big fan of British series. If you like Morse, you might like Midsomer Murders on Netflix. Recently discovered it and am enjoying it very much. Also enjoyed Murder in Suburbia on Netflix.

As far as the common thread of it being hard to find free content on Prime streaming, I've never had an issue. There's the option to only show prime eligible content both on the 360 and PS3, which are my two viewing methods of choice, and I imagine there are on others :)

How do you like Chromecast? I have one backordered.

Shamefully, its still in the box. I have two main screens (family room plasma and rec room projector) that both have multiple streaming devices attached. My plans for it are to use it on our "sick tv" (a 22" LCD w/dvd player which we move into bedrooms when the kids get sick) and in hotels. I bought a highly portable travel router to pair with it that should be arriving today.

When I get a few minutes I do want to play with the "casting" feature. My machines are a $249 chromebook and dated Macbook pro. I am not sure either have the horsepower to cast hulu or the like, but that would be awesome. I will update once I get some play time.

Either one is less than $10 a month. Which is really impressive compared to the outrageous fees of Cable TV.

Just try both for a while, and see what goes... It's really a matter of personal preference and personal circumstances... In our case, we settled on... using both! :LOL:

How do you like Chromecast? I have one backordered.

The youtube app works perfect with both my nexus 7 and with my chromebook. Hulu "casted" from the chromebook was a little choppy. I haven't had a chance to try it with a real computer. But the key issue is the free hulu can be technologically cast to the tv, and can't yet be blocked by hulu itself.

Thanks for all the advice. We will probably stay with Netflix and cancel the Prime. I have been using the Amazon free shipping over $25.00 when it's available for many years and can still live with that. Netflix has a much better interface on my TV, too.

Mike D.

Back
Top Bottom