American Idol 2012 Thread

When the show started, before anyone sang, I selected four that wouldn't kill me if any one of these four was booted tomorrow--Phillip, DeAndre, Colton, and Skylar. But there were some strong performances tonight.

I agree with the judges: DeAndre was pretty good tonight, by using a "regular" voice more than that falsetto. (His antics with his hair still bug me.) But if he had to leave tomorrow, okay with me. I still don't get the attraction with Phillip. He's nice enough, and apparently "true to himself," and has a lot of admirers. But, to me, he's just a B-grade Dave Matthews. If I heard him on my car radio, I wouldn't know it was him. Colton was okay, to my ears. But Skylar's performance tonight made me think twice; so, of the four that at the top of the show I wouldn't mind see leaving tomorrow, I've changed my mind about Skylar. I'd like to see her stay. So, I'd put Hollie in my Bottom Four.

Hollie and Elise got the worst reviews of the judges tonight. As folks know, I am partial to Elise. She has got that unique-sounding voice that would be recognizable on the car radio as you go down the road: "Oh, that's Elise." But I don't see voters taking her beyond the Top 3, if she even makes it that far. But, if that's the case, I hope she is one of those AI contestants who, with some good tunes, has a respected and successful singing career despite not making it into the AI top.

Last edited:
I think DeAndre can go now.

My favorite performance of the evening was the duet by Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez. But really, they were all so good.

I thought the judges were unduly harsh on Hollie.

I agree that the judges were harsh on Hollie. Hers wasn't the greatest performance but it didn't seem as pitchy as they indicated. I still like her voice and think she has great potential but I agree with the judges that she needs to let loose. Perhaps her nerves are getting the best of her.

+1 on hoping that Deandre is selected to go home tonight.

I like Elise but and hope she stays, but am afraid for her.

I don't see the guys as being very strong this year. I think I would like Joshua best if he would stop screaming and just sing the melody - the background singers upstaged him IMO.

My favorite performance of the evening was the duet by Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez. But really, they were all so good.

Me too..Deandre is odd and that hair and the way he thows it around...but then lopez says she real likes the way he flips his hair.......??

I think Ryan should come out with a wig....but really at this point they are all pretty close...but no super star.

I agree that the judges were harsh on Hollie. Hers wasn't the greatest performance but it didn't seem as pitchy as they indicated. I still like her voice and think she has great potential but I agree with the judges that she needs to let loose. Perhaps her nerves are getting the best of her.

+1 on hoping that Deandre is selected to go home tonight.

I like Elise but and hope she stays, but am afraid for her.

I don't see the guys as being very strong this year. I think I would like Joshua best if he would stop screaming and just sing the melody - the background singers upstaged him IMO.

I agree that Hollie wasn't as pitchy as what the judges said. To me, her song deliveries from notes to notes were disjointed (kind of always the case) and that made her siging sound less refined. (a bit of exaggeration, but kind of like when a computerized service call repeats back your phone number. Not smooth transition...)

I actually thought DeAndrea did a very good job.

Elise did a great job with Phillip on the duet, but I didn't like her solo at all, unfortunately. (I don't think Hallelujah would have been good either, which was her other choice...) (Phillip's solo wasn't as good either, but Elise was really no good in showing off her talent.) I hope voters overlooks it since her duet was SUPER good.

Jessica was, by far, the best. She did her duet so effortlessly.

My bottom two is Elise and Hollie. Phillip bottom 3 (but I don't think it will happen.)

+2 on DeAndre, same with Hollie IMO

I actually thought the duets were better than almost all the single songs. I never liked "Islands in the Stream" but it wasn't too bad with Skylar and Colton. Joshua and Jessica's duet was good too.

As of right now, my guess for the best post AI career would be Skylar. Country is big.

True - but I think that Colton could be a rock star a la Chris Daughtry
As some of you may remember, although Colton had auditioned for AI a couple of years ago, and was eliminated early on, this season he didn't even bother to audition. For this season's auditions, he merely came to support his sister, and the judges remembered him from the season before and asked him to come in from the hotel lobby to the audition room...and now, look where it took him. Into the Top Seven. Nice little story in itself.

Anyway, as for tonight's elimination show, when Ryan Seacrest asked Randy and Jennifer if the voters "got it right" by placing DeAndre and Elise in the Bottom 2, both answered that the voters were "half right." By her comments a bit later, when DeAndre was revealed as the one who could go home if not "saved" by the judges, it was obvious Jennifer thought DeAndre should stay, while Randy thought Elise, my fave, should stay. Elise has been in the Bottom 3 for some time now, and remains dangerously close to packing her bags and heading home any week now. My hope is that the judges will use their "season save" for Elise--the Perpetual Underdog. That might get her another week or two. I'd like to see her get into the Top 5, at least.

Who do you think should be in the Bottom 3 next week, without knowing how well they will perform? For me, it should be Phillip, Colton, and Hollie.

Last edited:
Nigel Lythgoe tweeted this week’s theme is “This Decade”. In other words, tweets Nigel, songs from the years 2010, 2011 and 2012. Also, this week’s mentor will be Akon.

Dang, I was hoping for a Zappa week with David Bowie as a mentor. Yeah, like that’s gonna happen ;-)

As some of you may remember, although Colton had auditioned for AI a couple of years ago, and was eliminated early on, this season he didn't even bother to audition. For this season's auditions, he merely came to support his sister, and the judges remembered him from the season before and asked him to come in from the hotel lobby to the audition room...and now, look where it took him. Into the Top Seven. Nice little story in itself.

Anyway, as for tonight's elimination show, when Ryan Seacrest asked Randy and Jennifer if the voters "got it right" by placing DeAndre and Elise in the Bottom 2, both answered that the voters were "half right." By her comments a bit later, when DeAndre was revealed as the one who could go home if not "saved" by the judges, it was obvious Jennifer thought DeAndre should stay, while Randy thought Elise, my fave, should stay. Elise has been in the Bottom 3 for some time now, and remains dangerously close to packing her bags and heading home any week now. My hope is that the judges will use their "season save" for Elise--the Perpetual Underdog. That might get her another week or two. I'd like to see her get into the Top 5, at least.

Who do you think should be in the Bottom 3 next week, without knowing how well they will perform? For me, it should be Phillip, Colton, and Hollie.

I was so glad to see DeAndre get the boot. He was dreadful.

While I am an Elise fan, she has been in the bottom three so many times I doubt that she would get the save. Though, IIRC the save can't be used once there are 5 contestants, so the window for the save is short.

My prediction for the bottom three is Elise, Hollie and Joshua. I really like Hollie's voice but if she doesn't let go this week and have a killer night, I'm afraid she will be packing her bags.

20 minutes until tonight's American Idol performances! I can hardly wait. I just wish they were singing older songs again this time. I won't know any of the songs tonight. Oh well. Got to have something for those who like newer stuff.

Man, is it just me? These judges are overly nice to everybody. But then Hollie walks onstage and they rip her badly. I just don't get it. I don't think she is the best one up there. But she is not that bad especially for a young girl of 16. The judges (especially Steven Tyler) are really rough on her. Seems unfair in relation to their praise of others and hesitation to crticize anyone else.

For her part Hollie seems to take it in stride.

Man, is it just me? These judges are overly nice to everybody. But then Hollie walks onstage and they rip her badly. I just don't get it. I don't think she is the best one up there. But she is not that bad especially for a young girl of 16. The judges (especially Steven Tyler) are really rough on her. Seems unfair in relation to their praise of others and hesitation to crticize anyone else.

Yes, I had exactly the same impression. To me it seems like they have her so scared and nervous due to their past comments that she can hardly function. And yet, neither Jimmy nor any of the others have told her to relax and realize that she is one of the top seven in the competition (or anything else to help her confidence). Personally I think she would do a LOT better if she had the level of encouragement that they have bestowed upon many of the other contestants. I don't think we have seen all she could do or be.

I expect she will be the next one to leave, as unfair as that may seem.

For some reason, I didn't really enjoy this week's performances much. Maybe it was the 2010-2012 songs. I hadn't heard Jessica's song about a stutterer before, so I liked it a little because it told a story of sorts. Other than that, nothing seemed too memorable to me. Skylar a pretty good job IMO but I think she is better without the guitar.

Last edited:

For her part Hollie seems to take it in stride.

Nope, not just you. Steven T is becoming an a_ _ clown.

The judges are just fawning all over Joshua, might as well just give him the crown now...........it's nauseatingly sweet. The guy is a good singer but give me a break, its like they think noone else even matters. Right now, I would but a Jessica, Colton, and Elise album. All the rest, no thanks.

Jessica ROCKED the Kelly Clarkson, Kelly is VERY HARD to sing. Of course, Randy had to say that Joshus was the best, really? In a Kelly Clarkson song? Randy may be the best of the three judges, but he gets caught up in the hoopla too..........:(

Sure enjoyed how the results worked out last night. Seems like voters are looking past the judges to make their own decisions. I'm glad they saved Jessica. But I'm also glad the bottom 3 was a shake up and surprise.

I do hope next weeks performances are more interesting as this past week was less than memorable all around.

It seems that America spoke last night and the judges failed to listen. With respect to this week's songs I think the bottom three were the correct selections and the reason I say that is because they all sang too many notes. They need to learn that "less is more" and that is probably why I like Hollie's singing the best. I can close my eyes and her voice carries me away.

I think Joshua had his best showing this week because he did dial it back but to me he just screams too much and my ears don't appreciate it.

Jessica should win this season because to me she is by far the most talented singer but she needs to dial it back and just let the beauty of her voice and her stage presence lead the way.

Elise should just go away. The judges were fawning over her duet with Phillip but I thought her singing was out of tune through most of the song. Her behavior has led me to dislike her. I'm not very perceptive but to me she seems to think that she is better than what the show has to offer. She definitely lacks grace. Maybe if she would demonstrate some humbleness or being thankful for achieving what she had already achieved then I could change my mind.

Skylar was was pretty awesome this week. I seldom listen to country but she seemed to have nailed the song this week.

Phillip has a unique voice that is nice to listen to once in a while but I'm starting to get tired of it now although I did really enjoy his singing earlier in the season when it was really unique to me.

Colton is just middle of the pack for me. Depending on the song his voice either irritates me or I really enjoy it.

Now to the judges. If they are going to piss and moan about America's selection then maybe they need to review the voting mechanism. The voting used on the show demonstrates to me why our political representatives suck so much in this country. The voting should be based on who you want to leave the show and therefore the cream will rise to the top.

Now to the judges. If they are going to piss and moan about America's selection then maybe they need to review the voting mechanism.

Totally agree. It is so weird to complain about the results, when the show set the rules. You are gonna get what you you are gonna get. Anyone can vote any number of times? That's stupid, so the results are likely to be stupid. That should not be a surprise. But as long as their ratings stay up, they won't change.

The voting should be based on who you want to leave the show and therefore the cream will rise to the top.

I think this was brought up in the 'Ask Marilyn' column, and I agree. If one is going to leave, they should vote for who leaves. Voting for the favorite only (should) mean that the favorite stays, but not that the worst goes. Those votes can get too thin to really be representative. But w/o some control of the voting, it makes no sense anyway. And it opens the door to the 'votefortheworst' crowd. That would be harder to pull off if the big votes went to the worst, but a relatively small group can save the worst with just enough votes to keep them from the bottom.

I wouldn't try to compare this to the political process. Most people only get one vote, and they actually have to put some effort into it, and be of age.

-ERD50

This week was so typical for American Idol. Lots of angst with Ryan Seacrest and the judges playing into the drama. Don't know why I watch this crazy show at all. Yeah, on second though I do. Every now and then someone blows me away plus it's a great distraction from politics and so many troubling things happening on our little planet.

Interesting. I don't watch the show, but when Sarah posted back in the beginning that there was a Charleston girl (Elise Testone) competing I watched a few videos of her (since I know Sarah has great taste in music). I thought she kicked butt, had a great bluesy voice, and so thoroughly expected her to wash out early. From reading this thread it sounds like she's still there. I'm shocked! I thought AI was all about the pop star voices. If she makes it to the end I may have to watch an episode.

I think it would be mean to vote for who you want voted off. While it would make it much easier for us, think of the psychological damage to a 16 year old kid knowing that America voted you off. It would be a lot easier to take not getting as many votes as another contestant.

I thought it was ridiculous that Jessica ended up on the bottom and wasn't surprised that the judges saved her. I was surprised that they even made her start singing to begin with.

... Don't know why I watch this crazy show at all. Yeah, on second though I do. Every now and then someone blows me away ... [/FONT][/COLOR]

Exactly. Gotta love it for what good there is, or just ignore it. I don't allow myself to get worked up about the voting anymore than I allow myself to get worked up about the latest on Paris/Britney/Kar-whosian/whoever-is-in-the-'news'-these-days.

Interesting. I don't watch the show, but when Sarah posted back in the beginning that there was a Charleston girl (Elise Testone) competing I watched a few videos of her (since I know Sarah has great taste in music). I thought she kicked butt, had a great bluesy voice, and so thoroughly expected her to wash out early. From reading this thread it sounds like she's still there. I'm shocked! I thought AI was all about the pop star voices. If she makes it to the end I may have to watch an episode.

I'm surprised she's still there too. Just seems way too 'mature' for that crowd. I'm not blown away by her, but I do like her voice and style. If she were appearing in a small club around here, I'd go see her.

-ERD50

AI alumnus Jennifer Hudson performed on this week's "elimination" show. Dang! I need to research what she's done to shed weight recently. I know that she had lost some weight over the past few years, but on the AI show the other night, she was looking the best I have ever seen her. It's a wonder to me how the loss of weight can sometimes make some people's faces look better. Jennifer looked beautiful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom