An idea worth concidering

d0ug

Recycles dryer sheets
Being able to have a good life stile on a small pension is everyone dream. This dream is possible if you concider moving to a third world country where the cost of living is much reasonable. I personably live in the Dominican Republic where I built a house with pool while living on a small pension. I have more now than when I lived in Canada and worked. There are probably many other countries that you could do the same if your willing to make the change. Retirement is never been so good.

Three coconuts and a bunch of bananas. :D Per site.

Just joking. I've certainly considered something like that, but it's a big change. With Mom, DD and DGD and other extended family still living around here I doubt it will happen. Much easier if you're on your own. I suspect I'll be living in the third world country of DC (area) for a while longer.

How much does the DR govt. pay you to advertise for them on discussion boards?
I don't have anyone paying me. I only want to help people who are on a limited pension like me live in a good life stile. I also said there is probably many other countries that you can do the same thing.

I don't have anyone paying me. I only want to help people who are on a limited pension like me live in a good life stile.
I'm always suspicious when a Google search turns up almost identical DR chamber of commerce posts by you on other forums.

My first and only stint as a jobshopper - we had a female engineer from Belize - who I swear was was on the payroll of their 'greater Chamber of Commerce' - talking up low cost retirement - plus starting a side business - to 'keep busy.'

Circa 95, 96.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I'm always suspicious when a Google search turns up almost identical DR chamber of commerce posts by you on other forums.
And when his only posts are on the subject of living in the DR...

I think you jumped on doug a bit too quickly. He only said he found a great way to retire well on a small pension, by living in a 3rd world country. Not for everyone but, hey, it really is an alternative to areas where everyone flocks to and become very expensive.

Besides, his story has been consistent. Here is an older post of his:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/living-like-a-king-on-pennies-25660.html

Besides, his story has been consistent. Here is an older post of his:
You've been reading 'em longer than I have.

At some point, pounding the same tune on your one-key piano on multiple discussion boards begins to smell like spam...

At some point, pounding the same tune on your one-key piano on multiple discussion boards begins to smell like spam...

Fair 'nuff

D0ug: Do you still have your sailboat? Where in the caribbean did you sail before becoming a land lubber? I have a friend who sailed the Mona passage a month ago from PR to the DR and back, and lucked out on the weather. As you probably know, that's one of the most dangerous stretches of water in the world.

D0ug,

Would you tell us more about life in the DR?

What do you do to pass the time?

The electricity can be unreliable, I understand. How does that affect you?

Are you happy with the medical services available?

Any security concerns?

Thanks.

One of the nice things about this forum is it's OK to disagree... :)

It's also one place where it's OK to have very short memory. I see that in the link above that you guys also welcomed him to the board two years ago. :)

Fair 'nuff

D0ug: Do you still have your sailboat? Where in the caribbean did you sail before becoming a land lubber? I have a friend who sailed the Mona passage a month ago from PR to the DR and back, and lucked out on the weather. As you probably know, that's one of the most dangerous stretches of water in the world.

I sold my sailboat some years back I found it was getting too expensive. I sail the east coast of the US, Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Turks and Cacaos and finally end here in the DR. I never crossed the Mona Passage but know you need a good weather window.

Ed the Gypsy

Would you tell us more about life in the DR?
I live in the countryside where it is very peaceful. I stayed away form the tourist areas where the prices are a lot higher

What do you do to pass the time?
I have lots of vegetables and fruit trees. I have taken the swimming pool and made it a fish pond. Also help the locals with electrical problems.

The electricity can be unreliable, I understand. How does that affect you?
I have inverter and generator so never without power but the electrical here is very unreliable it seem to be an ongoing problem.

Are you happy with the medical services available?
The medical has to systems one is the hospitals bare equipped but free. The second is the clinics who seem to be able to handle most any normal problems. I have used both. Medical insurance is cheap but it dosen't cover total.

Any security concerns?
We have chain link fencing around the property and a rottweiler and do not invite total strangers into my house. I personally have not any problems but have hear of foreigners being taken advantage of. The tourist areas seem to draw people that want to make a quick dollar at your expense.

Dawg that might interfere with the effectiveness of your meds or vice versa.

Dawg that might interfere with the effectiveness of your meds or vice versa.
I think he's willing to risk a few sacrifices for the sake of furthering the quality of the world's respository of scientific knowledge...

Three coconuts and a bunch of bananas. :D Per site.

Just joking. I've certainly considered something like that, but it's a big change. With Mom, DD and DGD and other extended family still living around here I doubt it will happen. Much easier if you're on your own. I suspect I'll be living in the third world country of DC (area) for a while longer.

In the same boat here harley. Family ties will keep me in VA. May make a break out of Fairfax County, but not too far away.

Doug, out of curiosity, how do you start looking for property there?
There are many real estate dealers here. If you want a cheap piece of land be willing to stay and look around. Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own. Be very careful. there is a law coming into effect in April that makes it that you have to get a survey to buy land. Before just a bill of sale was enough.

Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own.

OK, I already had no intention of looking for land there. Even if I did, this statement sure would have convinced me otherwise.

Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own.
OK, I already had no intention of looking for land there. Even if I did, this statement sure would have convinced me otherwise.
Boy, it's a good thing we don't have that problem in (as Gallagher says it) Amurrica!

There are many real estate dealers here. If you want a cheap piece of land be willing to stay and look around. Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own. Be very careful. there is a law coming into effect in April that makes it that you have to get a survey to buy land. Before just a bill of sale was enough.

REWahoo,

So much for DR advertising, huh?

Back
Top Bottom