Annual review and raise, WTF!?

One good thing about a commission only job, you never have to worry or complain about raises. You get to make your own.

I got a 4.5% increase with a "great" performance appraisal, along with a bonus. But the raise is a once a year thing.

A raise % is only relative - the only sure way to tell if you are being underpaid is to test the market by floating your resume. As others said, keep in mind the big picture regarding benefits, working hours, commute, etc.

One thing that definitely keeps me in check is the commute. Usually takes about 5-7 minutes to get from home to the parking lot here at work, and on a bad day, it might take 10 minutes to get home. So my short commute time is definitely worth a few bucks, compared to a job that might pay better, but where I might have to travel 30 minutes to an hour or more each way.

Andre, you are right, it is a real benefit to live close, that is the one thing I would love to change about my job. The commute I have is normally 45 minutes each way. I loose 1.5 hours per day, 7.5 hours per week......

I got a 5% raise. I may get CPI like increases in the future years, but most of my comp is going to come from bonuses

No complaints here. Got a 4% raise back in October plus another 3% at the beginning of March right before I started my one year maternity leave. In addition, got a bonus which worked out to be 10.5% of my salary. :D

Good thing too since Erin loves to go through diapers!! :p

Personally, I think American business owners and exec's became spoiled by the buyers market in labor during the last five years or so. By the same token, competition is brutal, and labor is a major cost.

As the market continues to improve, I think it will take job-hopping to get significant increases, and once that becomes more prevalent, businesses will finally begin paying more.

CPI (if you believe it) was 3.6% in 2/06 ... you have to get more than that just to break even many times, considering tax consequences.

In the meantime, best of luck.  Most of your / our bosses think they have us by the short hairs.

Well, yesterday I began formally negotiating to take over the IT security manager position in another line of business within the company. If I can job hop internally, I would much prefer that. The commute, vacation, 9/80, 100% 401k matching etc. all make this a great company to work for, and if I can make just one more big jump in salary I think I can deal with colas from then on. We'll see, it will probably be a year long process for this to bear fruit, it's a matter if I can last that long. Tomorrow's my first Friday off on the new 9/80, maybe that will change my perspective...

I've been very fortunate this year - received an out of cycle 10% raise, an in cycle 5.1% raise and a 5% bonus this year--HOWEVER, I've done some significant things towards meeting a strategic goal and know that I'm compensated less than other people in other divisions who are responsible for less....

What's been the most fascinating, however, has been that the number of hours I actually work have decreased - I've become much more efficient and really focus on only those things that will truly make a difference - I'm thinking a lot more now and expressing those ideas to the leaders in our company - I'm also delivering on those thoughts in terms of producing results.

I think they are afraid of losing me......they didn't promote me to a management position a few years ago, but frankly, I like it where I am - and, with the rate of savings and the FIRE plan, I don't think that I'll be here too much longer.

I never thought I would get paid more for doing less, however - it's been true for me. Once I get quit worrying about political aspects and focused on getting results, I've been compensated well.

Deserat

We are in the middle of the annual disgrace process. The median increase looks to be around 4.2% unless you walk on water or have your head where the sun don't shine. The range is very tight so there is not much room to "reward" the better performing people vs those that just skate by. As usual, it is not much more than a cost of living adjustment but is sold as a merit increase....yeah right!

The next waste of time process is the Performance Evaluation game followed by the Stock Option granting game followed by the incentive bonus aware game. It is such a farce! We grant options that will be worthless and give bonuses that have been "adjusted" due to the company's poor performance that was obviously caused by an individual's lack of working hard enough even though they had no effect on the sales or profits of the company.

Ok, end of vent.

Andre1969 said:
One thing that definitely keeps me in check is the commute. Usually takes about 5-7 minutes to get from home to the parking lot here at work, and on a bad day, it might take 10 minutes to get home. So my short commute time is definitely worth a few bucks, compared to a job that might pay better, but where I might have to travel 30 minutes to an hour or more each way.

i have you beat....2.9 miles. it takes about 4.5 minutes in the camaro

thefed said:
i have you beat....2.9 miles. it takes about 4.5 minutes in the camaro
...And I have you beat by more than "a mile"...about 8.5 feet.  Takes me about 10 seconds in my boxers, perhaps 12 if there are any hazards, like Barbies or plastic toys  :LOL:

what bothers me most is how boss's want you to be their partner and share in the bad times with no raises but when the business is doing great they dont need any partners

My company had its normal ups and downs. Sometimes these swings wern't predictable and didn't manifest themselves until year end. A Christmas bonus often made more sense than a raise in salary. Everyone got a raise sometime, except me. I never got a raise... just my way of stickin' it to the man!

mathjak107 said:
what bothers me most is how boss's want you to be their partner and share in the bad times with no raises  but when the business is doing great they dont need any partners

That's why I have a history of job-hopping for a whopping fat raise in good times.

Back
Top Bottom