Recumbent bikes and lower back problems

Physiologic Responses of Cardiac Patients to Supine, Recumbent, and Upright Cycle Ergometry

Body position can have a differential effect on cardiovascular function in patients with coronary artery disease..These differences have been observed in most studies that compared supine to upright exercise. These differences include higher left ventricular end-diastolic pressures...and volumes...higher stroke volume (SV) during rest and submaximal exercise...lower maximal oxygen uptake...lower arteriovenous oxygen difference...and lower heart rate (HR) at rest and during submaximal exercise...in the supine compared with the upright positions. Also, there is more frequent angina at the lower workloads...caution is warranted when prescribing an exercise intensity for a patient desiring to undertake recumbent ergometry...the supine position is a potentiator of myocardial ischemia...

Back problem guy here.

I tried a recumbent stationary once. Never again. Lower back disaster with sciatica.

My hybrid, in which I can keep an upright posture, does the best for both low and upper back issues. It is not an optimal racer, but I don't need that.

I guess it really matters on the person and their issues. I could see how someone with only cervical issues would find a recumbent much better. But I can vouch for the fact that lower back suffers need to proceed with caution.

I think it also matters what your back issue is. Just muscles or true structural issues? It makes a difference.

Last edited:

Blowing me away! I have been in cardio rehab the past 4 weeks at the hospital. Wired up, monitored. I noticed that even at seemingly greater exertion than on my home upright bike my heart rates are suspiciously lower on the recumbent bike. I have been using the the recumbent bike almost exclusively because it's something different. I have a normal bike at home and walking I can do anywhere so why use the treadmill?

So, the upshot is, using a supine style bike can cause a heart attack?

Nobody has said anything about this at the rehab center! I have two more rehab sessions next week before I'm done. I'm using the treadmill!

In fact last week & this week I had some scary episodes of irregular heart beats on a day I had been on the supine bike. Wed I went to ER just to be safe. When I workout at home on weekends, usually with higher heart rates, I have no such episodes either during or after the session.

Seems the body is optimized to work in an upright condition.

Interesting thread - thanks!

I'm a lifelong cyclist and have owned several high-end recumbent bikes (Bacchetta titanium, Easy Racer, Cannondale) as well as many conventional road and mountain bikes.

I've dealt with arthritis, hand and wrist numbness and neck issues for years, no doubt in part to a decade+ in my early 30's of high-speed, long-distance riding on racing bikes when we lived in Boulder CO with the seat set way higher than the handlebars as racers still do.

I can't afford high-end bikes anymore but keep up with them and wanted to point out that "endurance" geometry bikes like the Specialized Roubaix and Trek Domane offer recumbent-like comfort with upright bike performance and feather weight in the higher-end models. The geometry is such that you can have a comfortable position with the handlebars not a whole lot lower than the seat and moderate top tube length, while still being stretched out enough to engage the glutes and lower back along with your quads. These bikes have sophisticated suspension (part of the frame in the Trek, integrated into the headset and seat in the Specialilzed which I prefer) and are pretty mind-blowing to test ride (but beware - the higher end models cost as much as I've spent on a used car).

The only recumbent I've ridden that didn't cause foot numbness is the Easy Racer which has a huge wheelbase and puts your feet below your hips. It's like riding a giant sofa yet surprisingly fast and aero but those bikes are a giant PITA to store and transport, don't climb worth a damn and weigh 2-3x what a high-end road bike like the ones I mentioned does.

I stay stick with the best upright bike you can afford until you reach an age where balance is an issue, then terrorize the bike paths on a high-end recumbent trike in your dotage. That's my plan, anyway.

Interesting thread - thanks!
I stay stick with the best upright bike you can afford until you reach an age where balance is an issue, then terrorize the bike paths on a high-end recumbent trike in your dotage. That's my plan, anyway.
Oh yesssssss.....high-end trike.....depends on where you are riding of course.

I damaged my knees a long time ago. About 5 years ago my left knee was replaced due to arthritis and lack of any cartilage which was 4 years after my lower back had to be fused. Running was a contributing factor for my knees. Balance is sometimes an issue and walking has its limitations. Spinal nerve damage has resulted in neuropathy, sciatica, and loss of some motor control in my right leg. A recumbent trike has been a life saver for me.

I have owned and ridden all styles of bicycles until a few years ago. I gave away all of them except my handbuilt Klein road bike that I used for triathlons. I can't seem to let that one go even though I won't be riding it anymore. I also ride a recumbent trike road "bike" I bought 30 years ago. I bought an indoor stationary recumbent for rainy or very cold days. I ride my recumbent trike outdoors everyday for 12 to 15 miles and sometimes longer if the weather is particularly nice. I have never had an issue from riding my recumbent and actually it was a great help during recovery and physical therapy. I'm not sure what the problem is for some people but if your initial rides are as long as you might take on a bicycle I am not surprised that there is some discomfort. It is a different posture and uses a few different muscles that takes getting used to. Like any physical activity it is wise to go slow at first and work your way to longer rides.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom