Another Cataract Surgery Thread

Kat: I will be interested to hear how your Vivity works out. 11 days in mine is good for reading and intermediate but blurry for distance. That isn’t a bad result for me since the other eye has a mono vision distance lens. But it isn’t what I expected.

Good luck, Katsmeow! I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome. :)

Kat: I will be interested to hear how your Vivity works out. 11 days in mine is good for reading and intermediate but blurry for distance. That isn’t a bad result for me since the other eye has a mono vision distance lens. But it isn’t what I expected.

FWIW, the information from the doctor's office says it can take 1 to 3 months for everything to settle. I know that particularly early on there can be inflammation or dryness that can be a factor.

If it is not that then the lens power may be off a bit. If you can see well near and intermediate then that implies you may be slightly near sighted. Once your vision has settled down a bit, ask what your vision is in that eye in terms of diopters.

Sometimes, if the lens power is off they can surgically correct that by doing a small amount of LASIK so you may want to ask about that. Another option would be to have a pair of light distance glasses that you use for driving or other tasks where you need very crisp distance vision. But, if you don't want to distance glasses and it doesn't get better I would explore the possibility of a little LASIK. There are situations where they explant the lens and replace it but there are risks with that and is easier to do sooner rather than later. The doctor would probably prefer some other solution. However, given the time constraints I would address it with the doctor ASAP.

That said, if your other eye is a monofocal lens set for distance and is at plano (0 diopters) then you may effectively have monovision with your Vivity eye a little more myopic than the other eye which may let you see at all distances. That is a trade off I would personally make. Many people can adapt to monovision particularly if the difference between the 2 eyes is not so great. But, not everyone can adapt so, again, I would talk to my doctor to get their feedback.

That said, if your other eye is a monofocal lens set for distance and is at plano (0 diopters) then you may effectively have monovision with your Vivity eye a little more myopic than the other eye which may let you see at all distances. That is a trade off I would personally make. Many people can adapt to monovision particularly if the difference between the 2 eyes is not so great. But, not everyone can adapt so, again, I would talk to my doctor to get their feedback.
This is essentially the situation I have. I am quite comfortable with it since I wore monovision contacts for 15 years. I was just curious about what it would be like to have crisp, clear binocular vision along with the ability to read my desktop, phone, and iPads. I was willing to take a chance that I would need readers for extended reading. The doc says I am getting better intermediate vision with the Vivity than I would have with a standard monovision reading lens so maybe this is a win.

Good luck. The light adjusting lens seems like a great thig for people who have had refractive surgery. I am going for a toric monofocal optimized for distance for my dominant eye. Doc thinks I should consider monovision but we'll see how I like the intermediate range in the first eye. I don't mind wearing readers. Having no contact based monovision experience I am a little hesitatant.

Why not have a toric lens to correct for the astigmatism?

I was told by my MD that it depends on how much astigmatism you have. i had a small amount in one eye and he did the relaxing incisions. I had more in the other eye and he used a toric lens.

I was told by my MD that it depends on how much astigmatism you have. i had a small amount in one eye and he did the relaxing incisions. I had more in the other eye and he used a toric lens.

Oh, ok. I didn't know that there was a severity criteria

I had cataract surgery in August this year. They did my non dominant eye first and the other eye 2 weeks later. I got the multi focal lenses. In one eye I also received a Toric multi focal lens to correct astigmatism. I do not have 20/20 vision because I also have nystagmus. But I don’t need glasses anymore. The doctor said I could get glasses for distance which would probably get me one more line down on the eye chart if I wanted them for driving.

Instead of 3 eye drops prescriptions after the surgery, they have a special compound eye drop that incorporates the three into one formula that I paid them $40 per eye.

I need to to go back to the DL bureau for a duplicate DL so I can get the restrictions off my license. I am limited to daytime driving right now because I had to renew before I had my surgery and couldn’t pass the eye test even with my old glasses because of the cataracts.

Thanks to all who shared their experiences.

A year ago I had flashes in my left eye and the ophthalmologist diagnosed it as Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Over a week they decreased and a month later they were essentially gone except for maybe one a month.

She also said I have cataracts just beginning and will need lens replacement in two or three years (now one or two years) so this is quite timely.

My eyes are a tad unusual because my left eye is nearsighted (20/400?), my right eye is farsighted (20/70?), and both have astigmatism. I've worn glasses since age 2 or 3 according to my parents and I'm now past Medicare age.

I will not go with monocular vision because you lose depth perception but that's all I know right now. I've used progressive glasses lens for almost 30 years now. I've never used contacts.

For people who don't know how they would do with one eye farsighted and one eye nearsighted, I can tell you that nearsighted blurry is just like farsighted blurry. :)

Right now I can still read without my glasses by relying on the left eye so I'm hesitant to do anything that will affect my nighttime reading ability. But, yeah, the magnifying glass now has of come out for some of those medication bottle labels. :(

Ray

Curious about lens choices for those who do a lot of detail work, like beading, sewing, painting, etc. I'm nearsighted and I've never done the monovision thing because I need my depth of field. So, I've turned into one of those people who can't see with or without my glasses. I definitely need correction for distance but can't stand the fixed focal length when I'm working on projects. I worry about the day I'll need cataract surgery and have to choose lens for each eye. To complicate things further, I have severe eye allergies which include preservatives so my drops will have to be compounded.

I don't understand the discussion about mono vision and "depth of field" issues. I have done mono vision for at least 40 years--first by contacts and then by lasik and I see great--especially at a distance and medium distance. Just in the last few years have I needed reading glasses (I am now 70). I have never noticed any depth of field issues.

For those who are unsure of monovision, many years ago, I went through the same concerns. My doctor did cataract surgery on my strong eye for distance, and then wrote me a prescription for a contact lens on my other eye to test the monovision for a few weeks. I was comfortable with the monovision in just a couple days. While YMMV, the contact lens option was a great way to make an informed decision.

All kinds of interesting discussions today while I was on the road and getting into my hotel. It is now after midnight so surgery is today. Hoping I can see well enough on my iPad to post tomorrow but not sure. My left eye (the one not getting surgery until next week) is very bad and my current reading glasses don’t allow me to read with that eye. I actually see near better without reading glass than with them although that isn’t very good.

I suspect I will need to go get some drugstore readers so I can read with my right eye until next week but that won’t happen for a couple of days when things have settled down a bit after surgery.

For those who are unsure of monovision, many years ago, I went through the same concerns. My doctor did cataract surgery on my strong eye for distance, and then wrote me a prescription for a contact lens on my other eye to test the monovision for a few weeks. I was comfortable with the monovision in just a couple days. While YMMV, the contact lens option was a great way to make an informed decision.

The contact lens option works great for people whose cataract in the unoperated eye is not so bad that the vision can’t be corrected. My eye that I will do next week is seeing at 20/180 and so putting a contact lens on it would be utterly useless. At the end of August that eye was seeing 20/40 (cataract progression rapid due to vitrectomy). Anyway, yes, this option works if a contact lens can still correct the eye but often vision can’t be corrected with a cataract.

I had the same reaction to monovision contacts as hardlee and levindb, as did my wife. We have been wearing them for about 20 years. To us, it felt like normal vision. I decided to try the Visity lens because I was curious to see whether having better binocular vision would seem better. Because of a problem in the first surgery I got a standard distance lens in the right eye. I got the Vivity lens in the left. It ended up being good for both near and intermediate and blurry for distance. The final result is I am still getting monovision, possibly with better intermediate vision than I would have gotten with standard monovision lenses in both eyes. I am comfortable with the results. I was out on the bike yesterday seeing better than I can remember.

So I had worked on a longish post about my surgery today but then I clicked out side the box and it went away. Sigh. (I am using iPad app).

So this will be briefer and I will probably write more tomorrow.

Long story short, my surgery went fine. Biggest issue was that my eyes burned a lot for about an hour after surgery. I had DH stop at the pharmacy on the way back to the hotel so I got Tylenol and that helped.

I mostly napped off and on all afternoon. Was just exhausted.

I am typing this at about 19” distance on my iPad and not using glasses which I would have needed pre surgery. So that is good. I still have a lot of eye dilation so I think that is one reason I am still blurry at most distances.

I am able to use the old reading glasses if I hold my iPhone 6” from my face (normally I read at about 14”). I probably will get some drugstore readers once I know how I will see after the dilation is gone. Anyway, I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning and then we drive home (4.5 hour drive). Will post again tomorrow.

Katsmeow, I'm so glad that apparently all went well! Take care, get some rest, and don't worry about the post that disappeared. We have lots of time to find out all the details. The important thing is that it appears you are OK, and you can see. :D

Yes, so far, so good, Katsmeow! You are getting through this. My aunt says the same thing happens to her iPad posts all the time---very frustrating.

So, I'm back home now.

Current Vision

I had my post op appointment this morning about 24 hours after surgery. My doctor was very happy and so was I for this point.

With my right eye (Vivity Lens implanted), I saw 20/20 distance. For near vision I was J2 which is equivalent to 20/30. That near vision was amazing to me, much better than I expected.

I am now writing this on my computer at home (about 24" distance) without using glasses at all. I couldn't do that two days ago.

As I've mentioned the Vivity lens is an extended depth of focus lens. From what I understand from my research, a regular monofocal lens (the one that costs no extra money) will give you distance vision. But, for most people won't focus for anything closer than about 3 feet (if that).

Computer distance for me is about 21" to 32" depending on my monitors. So a regular lens would still require me to use glasses for computer distance. The Vivity lens extends the depth a bit so that you see well to about 2 feet away which is in range of a computer or other intermediate tasks.

The Vivity lens will help with near vision but usually glasses are still required for extended reading. I've found I can read more stuff now that before needed glasses. But, for books I would need glasses.

The Surgery

The surgery was pretty straightforward. I went to the doctor's office beforehand and they repeated a few measurements from June. I met with the optometrist who was amazed that two different machines by different manufacturers had measured my astigmatism exactly the same which he said was unheard of. Usually the two machines will come out a little different. More about this later.

I explained to him my only real apprehension was that the lens power would be "missed" and I would end up farsighted which would compromise the near vision. I said that if there was a miss I would prefer it on the myopic side.

He felt confident there would not be a significant miss. My surgery is more complicated to get the power correct because of prior LASIK surgery. However, he said that if there was a significant miss on power there was a 3 to 6 month window when they could explant the lens and switch in another one. Of course, that is extremely rare and he did not think that was going to occur. Still, it was nice to know that option could exist.

I then went to the surgery center. I was there for only 2 hours and 15 minutes. They had told me to prepare for 3 to 4 hours. A lot of it was waiting for the eyes to get dilated.

I did do the laser first for the early part of the surgery. I understand that the traditional way also works but the laser was very quick. I then had the surgery. They did give me some "happy" medicine but I was totally awake for all this. I remembered it all vividly at the time but within an hour afterwards I had forgotten a lot of it. I do remember at one point the surgeon asking me to look at something and be still. The whole thing was so fast.

At one point before they started, someone actually marked a place on my eye related to my astigmatism. They had put in numbing drops by then so I didn't feel it.

Afterwards, when we left, I wore sunglasses they gave me. My eye was not patched although I was told to sleep with the shield for 2 to 3 nights.

By the time we left, I was starving so we stopped to pick sandwiches on the way back to the hotel. My eye was burning terribly. That was the only really uncomfortable time.

When we got to the hotel, I took some Tylenol which helped. Then at 2 hours after surgery I started all my drops. I have an antibiotic, then Prednisolone (which is a steroid for inflammation) then Prolensa which is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory. I had had a lot of drops for my vitrectomy so this was old hat to me.

I felt fine once the Tylenol kicked in. All of the drops burn me more than the drops did for my vitrectomy in the other eye. Not really sure why. The burning doesn't last but a couple of minutes though.

I was super tired yesterday and ended up resting for a few hours.

By evening I was able to use my iPad without glasses. I used my old reading glasses for reading on my phone but they are too strong. I plan to get some lighter drugstore readers to use until I get the next eye done and then I will either continue or reassess.

Astigmatism

Something that I did not realize was going to happen was that I received a toric lens. I should perhaps have realized it when the optometrist was talking about my astigmatism measurement but I had assume my astigmatism was so small it would not require correction.

Pre-LASIK I wore Toric lenses. But, after LASIK most of my astigmatism went away. In my right eye (the one I had surgery on yesterday), I have been between .25 to 5 astigmatism. Normally, that would not be large enough to use a toric cataract lens. Also they told me the laser machine could correct minor astigmatism.

However, I did get the toric lens so I asked the doctor about that. The answer was interesting to me. Apparently, when they measured my vision in my right eye my astigmatism was .5. However, what those machines measured was what my astigmatism would be without my natural lens being present. They measure it that way since, after surgery, I would not have that lens any more. Both machines found that when you measure my astigmatism that way, I have .99 astigmatism in that eye so they used a lens with 1.0 astigmatism correction.

To me, this was the most interesting thing.

Current and Future Vision

The surgeon feels my vision in the eye will sharpen some. Today I still had a little dilation and I'm sure I still have some swelling and inflammation in the eye. So, theoretically, my vision should only improve. I saw theoretically because I would think that if vision can get better, it can also get worse. I could imagine a situation where I shifted slightly more farsighted as I heal and my distance vision improves and my intermediate/near gets worse. Of course, I hope that doesn't happen. I would be very happy with where I am now.

I wore sunglasses while we drove home today. When I came in my house, the lights just seemed so bright. Everything seemed very bright. This surgery was on my "better" eye so I was surprised to see so much difference. My computer screen seemed so much brighter and more vivid.

Next Week

Next Thursday I have my left eye done. My left eye was the one worsened by the vitrectomy so it is extremely blurry right now. The blurriness of my left eye is really not helping me with my computer vision. I am very eager to get that eye done. Of course, it is a different situation since I am getting a different lens (Light Adjustable Lens) and I still have healing of my retina that needs to occur.

Oh-- one other thing -- the post-surgery restrictions for the cataract are nothing compared to those for the vitrectomy.

So, I'm back home now.

With my right eye (Vivity Lens implanted), I saw 20/20 distance. For near vision I was J2 which is equivalent to 20/30. That near vision was amazing to me, much better than I expected.

I am now writing this on my computer at home (about 24" distance) without using glasses at all. I couldn't do that two days ago.

As I've mentioned the Vivity lens is an extended depth of focus lens. From what I understand from my research, a regular monofocal lens (the one that costs no extra money) will give you distance vision. But, for most people won't focus for anything closer than about 3 feet (if that).

Computer distance for me is about 21" to 32" depending on my monitors. So a regular lens would still require me to use glasses for computer distance. The Vivity lens extends the depth a bit so that you see well to about 2 feet away which is in range of a computer or other intermediate tasks.

The Vivity lens will help with near vision but usually glasses are still required for extended reading. I've found I can read more stuff now that before needed glasses. But, for books I would need glasses.

The surgery was pretty straightforward... I

I explained to him my only real apprehension was that the lens power would be "missed" and I would end up farsighted which would compromise the near vision. I said that if there was a miss I would prefer it on the myopic side.

By evening I was able to use my iPad without glasses. I used my old reading glasses for reading on my phone but they are too strong. I plan to get some lighter drugstore readers to use until I get the next eye done and then I will either continue or reassess.
I'm glad this went so well. You did far more research than I did and apparently have a doctor who is a better communicator. My doc has an excellent reputation for skill but he is a lousy communicator. He doesn't get into details, just listens and says lets do this or that.

The key difference for me is that I was unaware that the Vivity lens can be powered differently for different eyes (your section that I bolded). I thought they simply delivered the result you got. In fact, luckily for me, my doctor appears to have "missed" on the myopic side. My left (Vivity) eye is a little blurry at distance but fine for computers, phones, newspapers, etc. The right eye has a standard distance lens which, as you describe, is crystal clear at distance and in to about 5 feet but not useful for computers or closer work.

Since I was happy with monovision contacts I am good with this result. But, if a monovision reading lens would provide good reading AND good intermediate (computer distance) I would have been better off with the cheaper alternative. I haven't been able to find out whether the monovision reader lenses cover the intermediate distance well but hope to do so before DW gets her cataracts removed. She will opt for monovision if she can read her phone and ipad.

Kat--so glad all went well with that first eye and you are safely home. Keep us updated as most of us will need cataract surgery sooner or later.

This morning I woke up and I could read on my phone without any reading glasses at all. I was quite surprised by this. I would not want to read without any reading glasses at all, though, as that feels a little stressful. I was also reading a food box and realized that I could read all but the smallest print.

The good part about this was that if I was at the computer, say, and needed to read something quickly on my desk I could do it without glasses. Extended reading I would need reading glass.

Pre-surgery I was wearing +3 reading glasses. Today I went and bought a pair of +1.25 drugstore reader which were totally adequate for me.

If my vision stays at this level, I will be extremely happy as it is giving me better reading vision than I expected. And, I am hopeful that in the long run the left eye will give my some more help since I plan to set it to help on the intermediate/near vision end. Of course, how much it helps depends in part of how well my vision comes back after my macular peel. I may not really know on that until January or so. I may still improve after that but most will come by the end of January.

I haven't been able to find out whether the monovision reader lenses cover the intermediate distance well but hope to do so before DW gets her cataracts removed. She will opt for monovision if she can read her phone and ipad.

One thing I read up on was defocus curves.

As I understand it a standard monofocal lens will have good vision for about 1 diopter from the lens power selected. So, let's say you are shooting for plano vision (neither nearsighted nor farsighted). You can focus well to about -1 diopters from that focal point. So, you should see pretty clearly from about 3' out.

The problem is that intermediate tasks are a little closer than 3'. My computer monitors are located in that range from about 22" to 34".

So with a purely monofocal lens set for "plano", I would need glasses to see my computer monitors. Other tasks which might fit in the intermediate range would include things like looking at the dashboard of a car or cooking.

Near vision is the vision that is more about 12" and 24".

The Vivity lens extends the depth of focus over a monofocal lens to 1.5 D. So, if set at plano I should be able to focus to about -1.5 diopters. Theoretically, I should be able to see in focus to 2' rather than 3'. That is a big difference for me since intermediate distance is so important to me.

But the Vivity lens won't give me that near vision range. Hence, my buying 1.25 readers as opposed to my old 3.0 readers.

My understanding is the PanOptix lens will focus to 2.5 D. So that can cover the full range from near to far.

With monovision, they achieve the ability to see by where they set the focal point. So, for distance vision you might set it for plano which is great distance vision. On the other eye, they might set it for -1.0 D and then the person could see well to -2 D. So that person gets more near vision.

There is also mini monovision and even micro monovision that set the differences of the 2 eyes differently.

The Light Adjustable Lens is a monofocal lens like a "traditional" monofocal lens. The difference is that you can adjust the power after surgery. So, if you need a little more near vision they can just adjust it for that or vice versa. Of course, this lens requires specific equipment for the adjustment so a lot of doctors don't have the ability to use that lens.

This is a link to an article talking about defocus curves and a link to a video that analyzes the Vivity lens. You might find it interesting:

https://cataractcoach.com/2021/01/07/extended-depth-of-focus-alcon-vivity/

Thanks for the benefits of your research Katsmeow. DW talked to her eye doctor who told her she could expect to get capabilties similar to the monovision contacts she wears now. Both of us have used one distance contact and one reading contact for 20 years with no problem. Some people have a hard time adjusting. We adjusted instantly. I even swapped them back and forth and was immediately able to see fine with the distance and reading lenses reversed. She is very likely to stick with the solution that has been working.

It sounds like your vision is resolving to what I was expecting with Vivity. Excellent distance, very good computer, and just OK for briefly reading phones, menus, papers, etc. Pull out a pair of readers for settling down with a book or to dig into the newspaper.

Great!

In a way I’m hoping I miss needing this. I read about strong associations between high carb diets and cataracts. I guess we’ll see.

On the other hand I have severe myopia, so in a way I do need new lenses.

I have some questions for my optometrist.

Katsmeaow, thank you for sharing all of this information. I need to go over it in detail.

DW is facing cataract surgery in both eyes. I have not yet gotten all the details of the options (she just received them today and is still nervous about the choices). From what she has told me, she has two surgery options: (a) eliminate the need for glasses or contacts, except for reading, or (b) eliminate the need for reading glasses but require glasses for everything else.

Currently she is very nearsighted. She can read books or work on a tablet without glasses, but for everything else she needs glasses. She reads a lot (one reason we have 5000+ books in our home :)), and one concern she has is having to now use reading glasses. She is used to wearing glasses to get around.

We will be discussing this in more detail, I should get a better understanding. While the doctor had told her for a couple of years she would likely need cataract surgery, now that she has to face it she is very nervous about it. She has some other things going on (nothing serious, just keeping her busy, recovering from thumb surgery, etc.) so another thing to deal with is stringing her out... at this time it is best for me to keep quiet and let her think through things.

Back
Top Bottom