Anti Virus Software......

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What anti virus software do you use? I have been using McAfee, free through AOL but I noticed the program is not being updated. When I try to update it manually, it just runs and runs and never concludes the update. I was using it through AOL when I used their dial up services but changed to dsl through At&t. Maybe the updates stopped when I changed internet providers, don't know. The daily scans work, just no updates of the program.:(

Any free stuff you guys use? Or do you pay for a service?

Trend Micro, online, free scan. Always up to date.

I use Norton. I could get McAfee for free from my ISP (Comcast), but I've been happy with Norton, so I just pay the $35 annually for updated definitions.

I use Norton Internet Security (which has their antivirus and more) and have no complaints.

But then, bear in mind that I like it so much I haven't tried any of its competitors! I have no basis for comparison, and it is definitely expensive $$$$$$$$.

I was unhappy with Norton.

I was happy with AVG for years.

Now I am using ZoneAlarm's suite. It has their firewall and an AV package, is unobtrusive and does seem to work well. Not free, though.

Good free = malware bytes

Also free = clamwin

AOL is no longer offering Mcafee for free. I received an email a few months ago to either pay $38 for a one year subscription or they will stop their updates.

I think it's risky to be running with an outdated definition files.

AVG seems to work well for me.

I also run Adaware and Spybot antiadwares periodically.

AOL is no longer offering Mcafee for free. I received an email a few months ago to either pay $38 for a one year subscription or they will stop their updates.

I think it's risky to be running with an outdated definition files.

I guess that explains why it just runs and runs but never ends the process. Never got the email. Oh well, time to move on to something else.

using avast now too, used to pay for mcafee and all they did was charge me a bunch and bug me for more money!

Going to give AVG a try. Also downloaded Malwarebytes to run once a week. The AVG scan did run for a long time. Will have to see how it goes. :blink:

Avast seems to work really well and it is free, updates many times.
Old Mike

Avast seems to work really well and it is free, updates many times.
Old Mike

I have Avast running on my laptop with a vista operating system it seems to work fine. it did not do as well on my desktop with XP.

I was infected with a virus so I went back to Mcafee.

BTW I also run Spybot and adaware as an added protection.

I just put avast onto desktop running XP since Mcafee for some reason went south after I restored to an earlier date. Works great with Vista I will watch to see how it works on XP. It would be strange for it to not work well on Xp since Avast has been around since
Old Mike

We used to have Norton and it seemed to really slow down my XP system. I switched to AVG (paid version, to get all the features) and was much happier with it. I just bought a new computer with Vista and bought AVG again and I'm plenty happy with it.

The free software form Roadrunner (Comp Assoc?) locked up Vista, reminiscent of the Win95 "blue screen of death".

All three systems in mi casa are running Norton, with no issues that I'm aware of... One XP, two Vista.

I go to UGA so i get a free copy of "F-Secure" which is pretty good

but by far the best anti virus I've used is Kaspersky (might be a german company) ...at least it was 4 or 5 years ago...other people probably caught up

Do you get updates for any period of time? Or do you buy the program and then pay a fee for the first year of updates?
I have no idea, just saw the item in their ad.

But if you're interested, for a small fee I'll update you weekly on whether or not it's safe to look at your portfolio balance... :)

Back
Top Bottom