Any 2% Cash Back Credit Cards that Don't Have Foreign Transaction Fees?

freedomatlast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Planning a trip to Scotland and found out the Citi Double Cash Card charges Foreign Transaction Fees.

Anyone have or know of a credit card that gives at least 2% Cash Back on all purchases with no annual fees and doesn't charge Foreign Transaction Fees?

I don't know of one (other than what Sunset posted just above). I'm content to use my Capital One Quicksilver Visa, which gives 1.5% and has no FTF. It also gives me the current spot rate, with no surcharges, etc., for every transaction. I feel like this is good enough. For example, if I were to spend $3,000 on foreign transactions, using the Quicksilver card would only result in a $15 difference in cash back vs. a 2% cash back card. Not enough to worry about or to carry an additional card for, IMHO.

I don't know of one (other than what Sunset posted just above). I'm content to use my Capital One Quicksilver Visa, which gives 1.5% and has no FTF. It also gives me the current spot rate, with no surcharges, etc., for every transaction. I feel like this is good enough. For example, if I were to spend $3,000 on foreign transactions, using the Quicksilver card would only result in a $15 difference in cash back vs. a 2% cash back card. Not enough to worry about or to carry an additional card for, IMHO.

It also features the ENO virtual number system. Each online business can have its unique CC number. You can even turn the virtual cards ON and OFF, delete them at will, and you can set a kill date for the card after which it is no longer valid. If bad guys get hold of the virtual number it is not of much use.

Capital one venture x 2% back. The annual fee is 395 but 300 back on travel reserved through their portal plus 75000 points after 4k of spending. Even if you only have the card for one year you are plus 655. Plus one free global entry.

The Fidelity card has a 1% foreign transaction fee, which gives you 1% cash back after the fee. I use it as my backup card when traveling internationally.

PenFed has a credit card that is 1.5% cash back and then if you also have a checking account the rate gets bumped up to 2%. We were already set up with PenFed so this was easy.

No yearly fee and no foreign transaction fee.

I use my Costco Anywhere Visa card when traveling. No FX fees and since the major charges are hotels and restaurants, I get 3% cash back rather than the 2% on my Fidelity Visa card in those categories.

I did a quick check and one site noted that you need to be cautious about the actual conversion rate they use; I suppose they get you one way or another. It might be interesting on my next trip abroad to see which is higher- the FX fee on Fidelity or the difference (if any) in the conversion rate between the two cards.

I use my Costco Anywhere Visa card when traveling. No FX fees and since the major charges are hotels and restaurants, I get 3% cash back rather than the 2% on my Fidelity Visa card in those categories.

Thanks for the info on the Costco Anywhere Visa. I'm going get one of these.

Capital one venture x 2% back. The annual fee is 395 but 300 back on travel reserved through their portal plus 75000 points after 4k of spending. Even if you only have the card for one year you are plus 655. Plus one free global entry.

I have a different Capital One card that receives 2% discounts that can go against charges when traveling--flights, rooms, etc. It doesn't have the big fees, however. I get full value on the currency exchange day by day and there are no fees to use the charge card internationally.

It includes rental car physical damage insurance except in Ireland & Italy where CDW is mandatory. In North America, their insurance is secondary to your personal car insurance if applicable.

I only use an ATM to obtain day to day walking around cash. And we seldom spend much cash when traveling. But we put everything possible on the Capital One card--flights, rental cars, hotels, etc.--whenever we travel.

Barclays cards don't charge fees. That's what I used as my main card when I was living in Europe.
My day-to-day card is a Barclaycard arrival+. 2% on everything, no FTFs, and a true chip and pin card. I was going to recommend it to the OP, BUT it does charge an annual fee and when I tried to find current details/bonuses I found that Barclaycard no longer offers it to new clients. I must be getting too good a deal ;)

"I don't know of one (other than what Sunset posted just above). I'm content to use my Capital One Quicksilver Visa, which gives 1.5% and has no FTF. It also gives me the current spot rate, with no surcharges, etc., for every transaction. I feel like this is good enough. For example, if I were to spend $3,000 on foreign transactions, using the Quicksilver card would only result in a $15 difference in cash back vs. a 2% cash back card. Not enough to worry about or to carry an additional card for, IMHO."

+1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom