Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year -

Been: Southern Caribbean cruise, 3 weeks split between Sedona, AZ and Kanab, UT, Southern England.

To Do: Myrtle Beach, Glacier NP, and Acadia NP.

Wow! Beautiful pictures!!

If you haven’t already done so, read every one of the “Bruno” books by Martin Walker!

Lol! That series is the reason I'm interested in visiting the area. In the process of finishing the last book.

Just got back from a trip to Southern Italy with the family. Visited my husband's many 2nd and 3rd cousins in eastern Sicily. My sister came with us, so we revisited some sights we'd previously seen - but also saw new stuff too.

This trip we made a point of going up to the top of Mt. Etna. Drove to the bottom of a funicular - took that up most of the way - then hopped on a big 4wd bus to one of the main craters... The guides then take you around the crater. It was so windy that part of hike around the crater was off limits... But it was still spectacular.

We then headed over to Puglia - new to us. We had an awesome vacation rental with a pool in the middle of an olive grove. Mornings spent exploring towns like Lecce, Ostuni, Monopoli, and Alberobello, then afternoons at the beach or poolside. We did a cool e-bike tour of the Valle d'Itria - that was definitely a fun outing.

Major conclusion of the trip... We are not paying to bring the kids (teenagers) with us going forward.... They wanted to be at home (in California) playing video games... and had less than wonderful attitudes. They did perk up at mealtime... The food was amazing, but older son's mantra for sightseeing was "No mo' Duomo!". He was *over* checking out the beautiful churches.

I enjoyed the trip - even if the teenagers didn't

Just got back from a trip to Southern Italy with the family.

Major conclusion of the trip... We are not paying to bring the kids (teenagers) with us going forward.... They wanted to be at home (in California) playing video games... and had less than wonderful attitudes. They did perk up at mealtime... The food was amazing, but older son's mantra for sightseeing was "No mo' Duomo!". He was *over* checking out the beautiful churches.

Based on our observations while visiting Italy this past spring, you were not alone when it comes to teenagers being less than enthusiastic about visiting historic sites. The worst of which was a teen who had a public hissy-fit in the Tuscany hilltop town of Certaldo Alto. The kid was probably 13 years-old and made a spectacle of himself while Mom tried to placate him. We couldn't help but wonder how much longer his parents would have to try and bear up under those circumstances. Typically though, what we saw mirrored your experience. Most teens want to hang with their friends and play video games. Visiting ancient churches elicited sighs and eye-rolls from most.

We then headed over to Puglia - new to us. We had an awesome vacation rental with a pool in the middle of an olive grove. Mornings spent exploring towns like Lecce, Ostuni, Monopoli, and Alberobello, then afternoons at the beach or poolside. We did a cool e-bike tour of the Valle d'Itria - that was definitely a fun outing.

Rodi, sorry to hear about your challenges travelling with teenagers. We can empathize having done that with 3 girls. However, now it is just DW and I.

I would be interested in hearing more about your travels in Puglia. We are spending a week there in September with another couple, and will be using Monopoli as a base. Any recommendations on what to see or what should'nt be missed? We will have a car with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a trip to Southern Italy with the family. Visited my husband's many 2nd and 3rd cousins in eastern Sicily. My sister came with us, so we revisited some sights we'd previously seen - but also saw new stuff too.

This trip we made a point of going up to the top of Mt. Etna. Drove to the bottom of a funicular - took that up most of the way - then hopped on a big 4wd bus to one of the main craters... The guides then take you around the crater. It was so windy that part of hike around the crater was off limits... But it was still spectacular.

Our kids were enthusiastic about Ireland two years ago, but we're leaving them at home for our trip to Malta. Leaving tomorrow. Going with my parents who are our usual babysitters for trips like this. Farming kids out to friends and SIL. Sending the PlayStation with the kids as it's a pretty good babysitter too. [emoji16]

Rodi, sorry to hear about your challenges travelling with teenagers. We can empathize having done that with 3 girls. However, now it is just DW and I.

I would be interested in hearing more about your travels in Puglia. We are spending a week there in September with another couple, and will be using Monopoli as a base. Any recommendations on what to see or what should'nt be missed? We will have a car with us.

Rodi, I’m curious to hear how old your kids are. I’ve upped the vacation budget in the years our kids are older, but you have me rethinking that! Do you think renting a house for the summer would have helped? Just wondering if that might let you travel a bit from a home base to see the sights and the kids hang back and do their own thing on occasion.

ETA, I remember being miserable on vacations when I was 12 or so. I *think* it got better in my mid teens, but we may have just stopped going on vacations! :)

Would love to hear thoughts on Curacao and Bonaire after you’re back. We’re spending 3 months in the ABC Islands this winter.

We've been to two of the A B C's. Some of the great scuba diving of the world, although we didn't dive there. We've also been to The Caymans.

I have mostly dived Cozumel over the years--at least until I took up snow skiing.

Based on our observations while visiting Italy this past spring, you were not alone when it comes to teenagers being less than enthusiastic about visiting historic sites. The worst of which was a teen who had a public hissy-fit in the Tuscany hilltop town of Certaldo Alto. The kid was probably 13 years-old and made a spectacle of himself while Mom tried to placate him. We couldn't help but wonder how much longer his parents would have to try and bear up under those circumstances. Typically though, what we saw mirrored your experience. Most teens want to hang with their friends and play video games. Visiting ancient churches elicited sighs and eye-rolls from most.

When traveling Tuscany 3 years ago, we stayed on an agriturisimo between Certaldo & San Gimignano.

We're now traveling with our 8 year old granddaughter that we're raising. She loved the Eiffel Tower but was completely bored in D'Orsay and other art museums. But she told everyone that asked she loved the Eiffel Tower and especially the art museums--the little lying dog.

My problem child when it comes to tablets and gaming is my wife. She seldom looks up when traveling to great places of the world.

We once brought our teenagers kid's friends to go with us. It worked, they seem to have good time with each others. Luckily, it did not cost us much (using airlines/hotels perks/points).

On our last trip with our children we split up. My son wanted to go to Europe, my daughter to Hawaii.

I took my son to Europe for three weeks. Italy and France. It was spontaneous to a point however it was built around several areas that he wanted to visit. My spouse took my daughter to Hawaii. It worked well.

My son backpacks. One of his last trips was going through Greece and the Stans. Daughter...resorts in Mexico and Cuba does it for her. They are all different. We are in between. Lots of spontaneous international travel with some AI's in between.

Last edited:
On our last trip with our children we split up. My son wanted to go to Europe, my daughter to Hawaii.

I took my son to Europe for three weeks. Italy and France. It was spontaneous to a point however it was built around several areas that he wanted to visit. My spouse took my daughter to Hawaii. It worked well.

Now this is a cool idea.

Just give them smartphones with data?

The real dedicated ones are couples who take toddlers along with big strollers around.

Yeah they won’t appreciate is as much until there older. By late teens many of them may want to backpack through Europe or Asia.

We stayed outside Ceglie Messapica. A smaller town, but the castle has been converted to an art museum - which is free. And a few nice churches.

My sister and I did a trip to Monopoli - which looks like a great base. The old part of the city, by the port and castle, is classic old Italy with windy alleys and cool churches. I've suggested to DH that we use Monopoli as a base in future visits. We found out the hard way the castle is closed on Mondays. Locals go swimming just south of the castle... we saw them walking down with sun mats through the narrow streets - and popped out at a break in the wall along the water.

Do go to Albarobello... aka "Trulli Town".... It's full of tourists but a neat place to visit - even one of the churches has a trullo top. Market day is Thursday. We combined it with a visit to Grotte Castellino - some cool caves. Literally cool - a constant 63 degrees. They have tours in English.

Other towns we visited and enjoyed were Ostuni (Market day Saturday) and Lecce. Lecce has one church that looks like a robin's egg inside- beautiful blue walls.

And I mentioned the e-bike tour earlier (booked through tripadvisor).... With electric bikes you never have to pedal hard and it was cool being on these tiny (mostly carless) roads between Martina Franca and Albarobello, with a stop at I Pastini winery for a tour and tasting. The bike guide was nice, spoke great english, and we had a great 4 hours in the farmland in the Valle D'Itria.

Rodi, I’m curious to hear how old your kids are. I’ve upped the vacation budget in the years our kids are older, but you have me rethinking that! Do you think renting a house for the summer would have helped? Just wondering if that might let you travel a bit from a home base to see the sights and the kids hang back and do their own thing on occasion.

ETA, I remember being miserable on vacations when I was 12 or so. I *think* it got better in my mid teens, but we may have just stopped going on vacations! :)

Kids are 16 and 18. We did a 9 week trip through Europe 4 years ago and they were great, and appreciated it. So ages 12 and 14 are still doable.

Went to Puglia in late April and early May. Had some cold days but they seem to be trying to ramp up tourism.

Actually tried to cover a lot of ground, going up to Vieste and then a day trip out to Matera.

Lecce is called the Florence of the South. They have renovated a lot of churches and were renovating more still.

I based on Lecce for day trips to other towns in the Salento. The B&B where I was only hosted one guest at a time. In the other towns, you saw tourists but nothing like the more well-known parts of Italy.

Definitely a departure from other destinations.

We only took the kids that wanted to go. We went to DC for 2 weeks and the 18 years old stayed home. The 11 and 14 years old were thrilled to go. No cell phones back then:))

We booked our flights. In to Athens in mid Sept, home from London at the end of October. We have a general idea of where we are going but always subject to change.

Made the first plan to change planes and head north to Ioannini and Meteora for a few days. Maybe Albanai and Saranda for a day or two. Then to Corfu, and down the Ionian islands. Then to Piraeus to hop on a ferry to TBD Cyclades islands. Maybe Crete, then either Cyprus or Morocco. Or maybe somewhere else if we see an attractive air fare to somewhere we want to go. It might seem like a crazy way to travel. We have been doing this for eight years. So far it hasn't got stale. Lonely Planet guide arrived a day or so ago so we will be fine.

We chose London as a return gateway because we can always get to London from where ever we end on any number of airlines. One night booked so far...our hotel room in Gatwick the night before our flight home. Have to get busy on hotels for our first few days in Greece.

Last edited:
There are a lot of business class air fare deals opening up now. We just booked our trip back to Florida in December (LAX - FLL) for $892 each /RT/business class. The departure from LAX is on a 787 Dreamliner with lie flat seats.

ANA had return flights from LAX to Tokyo for $1957 /RT/business class on their 787 Dreamliner for September but I was too late for that one. I'm looking out for more flight deals to Asia for a two week getaway in September or October. Air New Zealand with British Airways is offering flights from LAX to multiple cities in Europe with a stop at LHR for $2498 RT/Business Class on their Boeing 777 to LHR.

Just finalized a Greece/Cyprus trip in Sept/Oct. Ionian Islands/Cyclades for a month. Then Cypus for two weeks and home through London.

We did the transatlantic flights first when we saw an attractive price. Just did flights in Greece and to/from Cyprus for the same reason.

Got back 2 weeks ago after 3 weeks in Ireland. 11 days hiking the Kerry Way (140 miles), and a week in Dublin.

Highly recommended--and prices were reasonable.

Last edited:
We just got back from Madrid, Granada, Barcelona & Paris. The credit card statement beat us home. I've about had it with the expensive European cities like Paris.

The wife booked another trip to London, Paris & Barcelona for November with her daughter. I'm not invited.

Then today, we spotted a end of March round trip to Berlin for just over $400. That's essentially a gift. Berlin is the only major European city we've not been to. All the online websites are showing $1100 for the same route--nonstop to LHR and on to Berlin in 2 hrs on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom