Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Bought tickets for 5 to Hawaii with island hopping for October. Also booked Airbnbs. We took the children to Oahu when they were under 10, and now in their 30s, they do not remember much. They are pretty excited about this family trip.

Still debating whether to book the Panama Canal Cruise at the end of the year. That would make it 3 trips for ourselves this year. I dunno if that's too much. I am getting old.
Go for it!
I attached the story of our partial transit cruise.

Attachments

• PANAMA CANAL 2010.pdf
    521.8 KB · Views: 22
Go for it!
I attached the story of our partial transit cruise.

Thanks for sharing your story.

The one I am thinking about is a 10-night cruise of 1/2 transit similar to yours. I do not remember the ports, other than Cartagena.

Still debating...

Last edited:
Headed to Mauii and Kona tomorrow for 10 days. We are continuing our search for a condo and looking at a few more prospects.

In between time spent looking at real estate, also celebrating our 32 anniversary.

Looking forward to some downtime with my lovely bride.

Headed to Mauii and Kona tomorrow for 10 days. We are continuing our search for a condo and looking at a few more prospects.

In between time spent looking at real estate, also celebrating our 32 anniversary.

Maui no ko oi! There is a little taco stand near Kam III beach, it's a Taco Truck next to a service station. Fish tacos are amazing! Jorhitos or something like that.

Our plan is to spend 4 months in Maui for the first few years of retirement until we get bored.

Headed to West Palm Beach in a month to check out the area.

The Greece countdown has begun. heading out to Athens, Mkyonos and Santorini soon. can't wait.

Greece for us as well. Spending the next few days in Ontario before flying to Athens.

Ioannini, then Corfu, Cephalonia, Zakynthos for three weeks, then on to Cyprus for two weeks. Home through London.

Last edited:
St. John, USVI (just got back), Seattle (3x), Lisbon Portugal, Singapore. Maybe London and Israel.

Most is for work, and while it sounds great, it can be a grind.

Greece for us as well. Spending the next few days in Ontario before flying to Athens.

Ioannini, then Corfu, Cephalonia, Zakynthos for three weeks, then on to Cyprus for two weeks. Home through London.

I don’t remember if I asked you this. What do you think you will be doing a high percentage of the time there. We enjoy warm weather site seeing , museums but hardly do any swimming except in Hawaii. Are Greek beaches a lot more inviting then Hawaii?

We do both. We like the beaches in Crete. Never been to the Ionian islands so we do not know. We expect to do more beach time in Cyprus.

Our fav. wintet beach spots are Australia, Thailand, or Costa Rica Pacific Coast. We have not spent much time in Hawaii-only a few times in Maui and Waikiki.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my elderly Dad’s health suddenly declined last month and he started hospice. I’ve had to cancel most of our planned European fall trip - still holding onto an October section although who knows if we will be able to do it. The good news is this time I bought trip insurance as we had prepaid for two expensive tours. I’ve been flying back and forth - he lives several states away.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my elderly Dad’s health suddenly declined last month and he started hospice. I’ve had to cancel most of our planned European fall trip - still holding onto an October section although who knows if we will be able to do it. The good news is this time I bought trip insurance as we had prepaid for two expensive tours. I’ve been flying back and forth - he lives several states away.

So sad to hear about your Dad . Take care !

Thanks all. Dad has been quite frail for a while and kept losing weight, so we knew this could happen sooner rather than later. It’s just unfortunate timing that it finally snowballed right at the moment we planned to go on a major trip that I’d been planning and looking forward to for 6 months. I’m sure it seems somewhat unfeeling that I’m expressing my frustration rather than concern and loss. As far as my Dad’s health decline - no shocks there, this is expected.

Thanks all. Dad has been quite frail for a while and kept losing weight, so we knew this could happen sooner rather than later. It’s just unfortunate timing that it finally snowballed right at the moment we planned to go on a major trip that I’d been planning and looking forward to for 6 months. I’m sure it seems somewhat unfeeling that I’m expressing my frustration rather than concern and loss. As far as my Dad’s health decline - no shocks there, this is expected.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's situation.

I know how you feel. I think most of us have had to cancel or cut short a vacation due to a family illness. It's part of life.

Well, this kind of things happens. You must have some apprehension to buy travel insurance, because it is not something people routinely do.

Visited Maui for the first in April and loved it. Five days each in Kaanapali and Paia. Highly recommend the crispy opaka with green mango salad from
Thai Food by Suri at the food truck court at the south end of Kaanapali. I had it two nights in a row.

Well, this kind of things happens. You must have some apprehension to buy travel insurance, because it is not something people routinely do.
I am sorry, but I disagree. At our age, we take out insurance on every trip, because you never know.
We have to use it twice, once when DW broke her foot a week before a cruise, and another time when she was hospitalized with a severe lung infection after a cruyise.

For many years, I rolled the dice, but now we take it out on every booked trip.

I'm heading to Connecticut later this month to visit my only remaining sibling (younger sister) and her family. I am not taking DW as her COPD and other ailments are not easy to manage on a trip. We went to Wisconsin for a week in August to visit her sister and that trip was very hard on her.

Then that's it for the travel this year as my hip replacement surgery is scheduled for mid-November.

I am sorry, but I disagree. At our age, we take out insurance on every trip, because you never know.
We have to use it twice, once when DW broke her foot a week before a cruise, and another time when she was hospitalized with a severe lung infection after a cruyise.

For many years, I rolled the dice, but now we take it out on every booked trip.

I am not there yet, but in a few more years perhaps.

I should start to look into how much the premium costs, but I have been thinking I could eat the loss if we had to cancel a trip. So far our trip has been under $10K total. The committed and prepaid cost is of course less than that.

Last edited:
Our Europe trips the last few years have been mostly cancelable with fairly short notice as they were mostly lodging reservations and a small amount spent on tickets a few weeks to a couple of months in advance. Airfare would not have been refunded, but we would have been able to reuse it for a different trip.

This trip however involved two expensive tours that had to be paid with significant deposits well in advance, and no refund after final payment months ahead. For those reasons we purchased trip insurance or the first time - especially not knowing what might happen in 6 months.

As my Mother got older I bought trip insurance on all my trips and I had to use it several times .

Sorry to hear of your father’s health, Audrey. You bring up a concern that I’ve never given much thought to before. That failing health of loved ones or ourselves could thwart travel plans. I have never considered getting travel insurance. Thought I would never need it. But I’ll consider it in future plans.

Sorry to hear of your father’s health, Audrey. You bring up a concern that I’ve never given much thought to before. That failing health of loved ones or ourselves could thwart travel plans. I have never considered getting travel insurance. Thought I would never need it. But I’ll consider it in future plans.
Like I said, it was the large non-refundable prepaid costs that convinced me to buy it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom