Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

I really want to do either of these trips:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/glacier-express.htm

I can't decide if Winter or Summer would be better. There are some youtube videos too that show the views. I think the Bernina trip has a corkscrew going up

Man in Seat 61 is a great site for train travel. He goues into great detail on routes & how to buy tickets & transfers

We did both of those routes (also the Gotthard Panorama express and part of the Golden Pass) in September of 2019 during a 3 week trip to Switzerland and western Austria. The Bernina Express is absolutely spectacular and was one of the highlights for me.

The weather was beautiful in September with very little rain, and since it was shoulder season I gather it wasn't as crowded as it usually is in high summer or in winter, though there were still plenty of people around.

Just cancelled our trip to Napa/Sonoma in mid September. Waning vaccination protection, area hospitals over capacity, smoke from wildfires and water shortage all lead to us cancelling for the second time! Wish the whole country took this seriously. At this point, no idea when we will be able to travel safely again.

DW and I just returned from Napa, we had a great time. All tastings were done privately with appointments, although we had special meetings/tastings with owners and winemakers. We don't think our treatment was different than anybody else. We did encounter smoke in Almador County which curtailed our usual hiking, so we just visited wineries. We had a blast!

We are currently in S. Africa heading to Botswana then back to S.Af. Delta was very upfront about "we will gently remind you to pull up your mask if it accidentally falls down" and seemed to follow that. NO real issues on any of the flights and everyone here in S Africa is taking this VERY seriously--gloves and sanitize at buffets, mask unless eating, etc. What has turned out to be most frustrating is the frequent number of PCR tests we have to take and the chances of a false positive. WHich happened to us today. We paid for a Rapid Response test (results in 2 hours) which cleared our person but what if it happens again? And we can't get back to the US for two weeks? It's very nerve wracking. Another person in our group had breakthrough COVID but cleared it and got a dr.'s note saying she was okay "to return to work" which the US honors as a way to return to the US, even with another positive test which she had yesterday. I guess the virus remnants hang around for awhile but it is not an active case. Anyway, the RR test today was again positive so she's skipping the Botswana section so she doesn't have to test again--she'll be allowed back into the US in 10 days, which is fine, no test needed. But what if another of us tests positive so is told to quarantine? So my point is that I know we'll love our trip but the testing stress (we're all vaccinated--7 months ago--and CAREFUL) is zapping some of the fun. It's not Covid that's kicking our butts, it's the testing and different protocols of each country.. So think about crossing borders often. THAT part of our trip was a mistake.

Travel on hold

We were planning to take my younger autistic brother on his "dream" trip to Disney this year - we're in Canada and we've decided to put that on hold. I'm not even 100% sure about out of country travel next year. With emerging variants we don't want to catch Covid and be stranded in another country. Seems we'll keep on stay-cationing and keep the travel funds socked away until we can feel like a trip will be fun and lighthearted.

The EU looks like it's going to change the rules (again) for Americans:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/eu-travel-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

"The European Union is expected to recommend on Monday that member states reinstate Covid-related travel restrictions and halt nonessential travel from the United States and five other countries, a diplomatic source told CNN. The EU would reestablish coronavirus travel restrictions such as quarantine and testing requirements for unvaccinated travelers from those countries, according to the source."

Of course the details matter a LOT, but it sure makes travel planning difficult or at least less certain.. :(

So my point is that I know we'll love our trip but the testing stress (we're all vaccinated--7 months ago--and CAREFUL) is zapping some of the fun. It's not Covid that's kicking our butts, it's the testing and different protocols of each country.. So think about crossing borders often. THAT part of our trip was a mistake.

And it's not just country borders. As I noted earlier, two people on our cruise ship in Alaska were removed from the ship and had to quarantine after they tested positive.

The PCR tests make me edgy because, according to a Ph.D. virologist on another board I'm on, the test doesn't distinguish between live and dead viruses. So, even if your vaccinated immune system does the right thing and fights off COVID when you're exposed, you could test positive because you're shedding dead viruses. I was SO relieved when the PCR test required at most 4 days before embarcation came up negative even though I had no reason to think I was infected. I would have lost the cost of the cruise.

No worries! The final word is out. It is a recommendation that is not legally binding on the member nations - from MSN.com/Washington Post:
The recommendations are not legally binding, and it is up to individual members to decide whether to implement them.

Officials also maintained that if European countries accept proof of vaccination, they should continue to admit inoculated travelers, regardless of where they are from, as long as they have received a full regimen of an approved vaccine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ccinated-americans/ar-AANUj5l?ocid=uxbndlbing

^^^^^
That's better news on EU. We are still planning a trip to Vancouver Island end of Sept and hoping Canada does not follow suit. They already have universal masking in BC (and we mask in many places anyway).

Just saw this news about an hour ago when it came out. DGF is beside herself as she is the TA making all cruise arrangements and many of the pre boarding tour reservations as well as pre and post cruise hotels. We have 6 couples traveling excluding the couple from the UK and the calls will start anytime today as they all start hearing about this. Right now it looks like all should be OK as vaccinations are required to board our cruise. With 45 days to go, we'll see how it rolls out.

I am still trying to get my money back from Air Canada (or extend the deadline for credit) for my cancelled flight from June 2020. The automated phone message says the wait time is between one hour and 25 minutes and two hours and 15 minutes. I think they make the wait time so long in hopes that some of us will eventually give up! (I did. I will have to try it again sometime...)

I am still trying to get my money back from Air Canada (or extend the deadline for credit) for my cancelled flight from June 2020. The automated phone message says the wait time is between one hour and 25 minutes and two hours and 15 minutes. I think they make the wait time so long in hopes that some of us will eventually give up! (I did. I will have to try it again sometime...)

I know this should go in the rant of the day, but your post got has me spun up, so here goes. We are supposed to go to Mexico in October...traditionally a low season. We have booked travel via American Airlines...who I HATE with a passion. I would not fly on them, but have travel credits from a previously cancelled trip.

ANYWAY....they would not allow me to use my travel credit to book both DW and me (I could for domestic, but not international) together. So, she created her own account and we booked separately. Well, the flight has changed 3x so far and today they now have us on separate flights (almost a 4 hour difference). AA will not let me change the flights online...I have to call...a one hour to one hour and 30 minute wait...on hold right now. I totally understand how AA gets called "THE WORST AIRLINE" over and over and over again....it's infuriating to me.

Look...I WANT to travel, but they are making it almost impossible.

/rant over. :mad:

Edit: After a little over 2 hours on hold, I was able to get us both on the same flight. The agent had no idea why they changed the flight like they did as both flights had plenty of seats available nor why I couldn't change the flight online. Oye. Glad I am retired...who has time to sit on hold for TWO FREAKING HOURS?!?

Last edited:
With people cancelling travel, some destinations may have some openings this fall. I may attempt a road trip to a national park for some fall color.

With people cancelling travel, some destinations may have some openings this fall. I may attempt a road trip to a national park for some fall color.

That seems like the best bet right now - travelling domestically, and as long as the weather holds, in the outdoor environment.

I hate the long phone waits as well. DW is calm about it, she just calls and puts it on speaker phone while doing something else instead of waiting like I do :(

I hate the long phone waits as well. DW is calm about it, she just calls and puts it on speaker phone while doing something else instead of waiting like I do :(

What I do is call back and then "press 2 for Spanish". While I don't speak a lick of Spanish, my experience has been 1) the line/wait is almost always shorter and 2) the person on the other end speaks perfect English, if maybe with an accent.

I agree that Air Canada can be difficult at times. It took me over two months to get a refund from them last year. Keep at it!

Sharp declines in air travel. Not too surprising, really.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tr...a-variant-continues-derail-vacation-n1278008?

Domestic online flight bookings in July fell to $5.26 billion, a 13 percent decline from the previous month and 16 percent below 2019 levels, according to data from Adobe’s Digital Economy Index.

And August numbers are falling even faster: In just the first three weeks of the month, August 1-21, $2.9 billion was spent online for domestic flights. That’s 33 percent below the same period in 2019.

yuck, surprised you didn't get an email from them offering the travel credit / refund. We opted for an indefinite travel credit but AC emailed us several times offering a refund. I hear that there are a variety of experiences that folks are having.

yuck, surprised you didn't get an email from them offering the travel credit / refund. We opted for an indefinite travel credit but AC emailed us several times offering a refund. I hear that there are a variety of experiences that folks are having.
I got my tickets through a third party, so no emails from AC, although now the third party us telling me to contact AC...

What I do is call back and then "press 2 for Spanish". While I don't speak a lick of Spanish, my experience has been 1) the line/wait is almost always shorter and 2) the person on the other end speaks perfect English, if maybe with an accent.
I will try this!

So difficult for you, needing to see your father like this. I hope it all goes well. I think your planned approach of self isolating and testing is a good one.

Thanks Alan

DW and I just cancelled this trip today [emoji20]. We felt the travel risk was too high for us. We will monitor the Covid situation for the next few months and if we see a drop in infections we will try to go to UK.

Regarding flight cancellation and refund process I was able to use the Delta app to cancel our seats and it seems the refund will be straight to my cc. Thats $4400 back to us [emoji57]

We will drive out west for a week or two and then MI for a week.

ETA: added the name of the airline [emoji51]

Last edited:
We are currently in S. Africa heading to Botswana then back to S.Af. Delta was very upfront about "we will gently remind you to pull up your mask if it accidentally falls down" and seemed to follow that. NO real issues on any of the flights and everyone here in S Africa is taking this VERY seriously--gloves and sanitize at buffets, mask unless eating, etc. What has turned out to be most frustrating is the frequent number of PCR tests we have to take and the chances of a false positive. WHich happened to us today. We paid for a Rapid Response test (results in 2 hours) which cleared our person but what if it happens again? And we can't get back to the US for two weeks? It's very nerve wracking. Another person in our group had breakthrough COVID but cleared it and got a dr.'s note saying she was okay "to return to work" which the US honors as a way to return to the US, even with another positive test which she had yesterday. I guess the virus remnants hang around for awhile but it is not an active case. Anyway, the RR test today was again positive so she's skipping the Botswana section so she doesn't have to test again--she'll be allowed back into the US in 10 days, which is fine, no test needed. But what if another of us tests positive so is told to quarantine? So my point is that I know we'll love our trip but the testing stress (we're all vaccinated--7 months ago--and CAREFUL) is zapping some of the fun. It's not Covid that's kicking our butts, it's the testing and different protocols of each country.. So think about crossing borders often. THAT part of our trip was a mistake.

Hi bzribee,

Yes we have wondered about this, too.

Just to clarify one of your comments, you said "... what if it happens again? and we can't get back to the US for two weeks?"

I think you we referring to a local quarantine restriction, which would make it impossible for you to travel to the airport to return correct?

Or is a negative covid test required to return to the US from where you are?

Thanks.

About long airline flights and rental shuttles

We are considering a trip to British Columbia, flying into Seattle which is about a six-hour flight from here in the Washington DC area. We have travelled a good bit in Covid times but always by car.

We know that air travel is relatively safe but I still feel a little squeamish about a flight of that distance.

Also, those crowded shuttle busses to the rent car facility make me a bit nervous. I tend to trust spacing to stay healthy.

Any recent travellers on long flights who wish to put my mind at ease or heighten my concern? I am specifically seeking comments from people who have traveled. I'm pretty sure I know the views of folks who have chosen not to travel.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom