Anyone else investing/saving with USAA?

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will have the opportunity to invest between 50 and 100K near the end of 2007 ( :D) Should I stick with USAA - max out on the ROTH and then go with the USAA fund family?

If you are a USAA customer, please let me know how you feel you investments are performing. Thank you

JeninNJ said:
If you are a USAA customer, please let me know how you feel you investments are performing. Thank you

JeninNJ,

Both DW and I had small IRAs invested in USAA for several years and their performance was less than stellar. Not only are USAA expense ratios high when compared to companies like Fidelity and Vanguard, but fund management has seen a lot of turnover. That's why I chose to go elsewhere when I rolled over my 401k at retirement.

JeninNJ said:
I think that as a financial investment company USAA is a darn fine insurer.

I wouldn't buy my car insurance from Fidelity or my liability insurance from Vanguard, either.

Jen, if you're getting to that point in your ER plan where you've accumulated six-figure investments, then you may want to look into consolidating your accounts with Fidelity or Vanguard. Both treat their higher-net-worth customers a little better than the rest of the unwashed masses. Others like Schwab & T. Rowe Price may have similar deals.

I do my general banking (checking, CCs) with USAA and LOVE them. Also use them for all types of insurance.

That said, I do my investing at Charles Schwab (but any brokerage is fine). If you're talking about a one time investment of $50-$100K, you can create a diversified portfolio with 4-6 ETFs at very low cost. I'd go to a broker for the asset management work...

- M

milmoose said:
I do my general banking (checking, CCs) with USAA and LOVE them. Also use them for all types of insurance.

That said, I do my investing at Charles Schwab (but any brokerage is fine).

Same here, except that our investments are with Vanguard and T Rowe Price.

Funny, I was just looking at this myself the other day. We've banked and insured at USAA for years ourselves, but I'll agree with the other posters. Expenses, management and diversity of fund choices look better at Fidelity and Vanguard (and others I'm sure).

AV8

My very first mutual fund purchase was with USAA--their "Cornerstone Fund." I've learned a lot since then, and I don't have any $$ in USAA funds any more. Almost everything is with Vanguard, except for a small amount with Fidelity (because Vanguard doesn't offer Solo 401ks yet).

As others have mentioned: USAA is a super bank and insurer (life and auto). They have all my banking and almost all of my insurance business. They just can't match the cost structure and expertise of Vanguard when it comes to MFs.

REWahoo! said:
JeninNJ,

Both DW and I had small IRAs invested in USAA for several years and their performance was less than stellar. Not only are USAA expense ratios high when compared to companies like Fidelity and Vanguard, but fund management has seen a lot of turnover. That's why I chose to go elsewhere when I rolled over my 401k at retirement.
Could not agree more. Moved it from there into Vanguard.

I use USAA for my insurnace, checking account, and two mortgages. I also looked at them for investments.

The insurance and banking are great :)

Their mortgage services suck :mad: (which are actually contracted out)

I didn't invest with them for the expense ratio and performance reasons mentioned by others.

I agree with the others about USAA. I have moved all of my USAA funds to Vanguard as the ER at USAA is not, will not ever be, as low as Vanguard except for the S&P 500 which is still competitive. DW still has a size able chunk of her investments in the S&P 500 fund at USAA (still has a .18% ER) but if it jumps back up to .32% or so I will again suggest/insist that she move it to Vanguard.

I have all my insurance with USAA and love them for that. I also have an Amex card through them which is a good, no-fee rewards card. I love that their credit cards actually support direct download of transactions into the Mac version of Quicken -- most don't and make you download an entire QFX file at their website first.

All of my investments are elsewhere, and I don't find any of their offerings, services or commission rates so superior that it's worth moving all my assets over to them.

Well, I guess I'll just move the pittance from my MF to my MM account for my short term savings (which is my next priority)...and look into VG. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom