Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

For those of you that like Viking River cruises Vacations to go just sent me an email that the cruises are buy one and get one free through the 31st of jan only.

Gayl, not sure you will have to look. We love the big cruise ships so not interested in river cruises but I know there are people on this site that love them.

Ready for my annual trek to Colorado. DW gave up skiing a few years ago and is down with a cold anyway, so I'll be on my own for a week or so. Hmm, let's see how much trouble I can get into …

DW and I are scheduled to go to LAX late March, hoping to do a side trip up to Solvang and Santa Barbara wine country, but 101 was shut down because of mudslides. Can anyone suggest a alternate trip? We do like to hike and eat!

The 101 is open and you shouldn't have any issues driving up the coast. If you don't mind making a long trip up the coast, the drive from Santa Barbara to Big Sur is amazing, and the drive through Big Sur will make you wonder if you are on a different, and spectacularly beautiful planet.

Check out Hearst Castle (take the Grand Rooms tour)... Home - Hearst Castle

The high road to Taos is really lovely. Should be a good time of year to do it.

I love Santa Fe - did a trip last summer - do the high road one way, and the low road the other. What are your interests? There are galleries, hiking, driving roads all over.....

We visited Santa Fe (our first time) last November.

Meow Wolf and a trip to Taos Pueblo were the highlights for us.

The food around Santa Fe is awesome. A couple of restaurants we enjoyed were Blue Corn Cafe and Cafe Castro (which we visited after Meow Wolf). A good friend of mine sent me NM Hatch chile powders for my birthday. That stuff is really good.

Hope you let us know how you liked/loved Santa Fe. :)

+1 Meow Wolf was really fun, and very different from anything else you will ever do.

Gabriel's has amazing food - it is a bit north of the town, but if you have a car, it is worth the drive - lovely outdoor patio.

The 101 is open and you shouldn't have any issues driving up the coast. If you don't mind making a long trip up the coast, the drive from Santa Barbara to Big Sur is amazing, and the drive through Big Sur will make you wonder if you are on a different, and spectacularly beautiful planet.

Check out Hearst Castle (take the Grand Rooms tour)... Home - Hearst Castle

Thanks, we will be making that trip in September with my mom. Two years ago we flew to LAX and visited some of the Missions from there to San Jose and flew home. Mom had a late brother who lived in Goleta; we used to visit the Missions from Capistrano to Inez. Last year, we flew to Sacramento and visited the Missions down to San Jose. We started down to Big Sur but made so many stops, we had to turn around to be able to make our trip back home.

I renewed our March reservations to Solvang earlier today. But thank you again for letting me know.:)

One winter month in FL
All spring in WNC
Two summer weeks in AK
Two fall weeks in Canada and New England

You'll be leaving as I get there (Sydney 2/26, Hobart 3/4, Melbourne 3/9)

I'm at the end of my trip, returning 2/8.

Drove the Great Ocean Road and visited the Grampians for a couple of days.

DW and I are scheduled to go to LAX late March, hoping to do a side trip up to Solvang and Santa Barbara wine country, but 101 was shut down because of mudslides. Can anyone suggest a alternate trip? We do like to hike and eat!

101 is open now from LA to Santa Barbara/Solvang. We were just there.

Thanks, we will be making that trip in September with my mom. Two years ago we flew to LAX and visited some of the Missions from there to San Jose and flew home. Mom had a late brother who lived in Goleta; we used to visit the Missions from Capistrano to Inez. Last year, we flew to Sacramento and visited the Missions down to San Jose. We started down to Big Sur but made so many stops, we had to turn around to be able to make our trip back home.

I renewed our March reservations to Solvang earlier today. But thank you again for letting me know.:)

Given your name, I imagine you already know which wineries you want to visit, but if you want any ideas, let me know. Also if you are going north of Santa Ynez, consider staying in Cambria and tasting in Paso Robles in addition to Solvang/Santa Ynez. Such a beautiful area!

Heading south tomorrow ,overland to Malaysia (Penang), after three great weeks in southern Thailand Islands.

Working on a day trip to Cádiz and Jerez from Sevilla in May. It turns out that week is Feria del Caballo in Jerez so things will be a little crazy.

Wednesday’s are el día para mujeres, with a lot of women in traditional costume.

It’s going to be tight. Walking around Cádiz in the morning - great strolls around the perimeter gardens and walls overlooking the sea, and then heading for a sherry tasting in Jerez in the afternoon, see a few historic sights and maybe observe an hour or so of the fair before sundown (which is around 9:15pm). Should be possible and enjoyable. Probably should get train tickets in advance - a lot of people moving that day.

Thanks! A big motivation to visit Cádiz is the historical aspect of the city - just to be there. Oldest city in Western Europe founded by the Phoenicians 1100BC. Major port for the Spanish Navy - the Armada that attacked England sailed from there. Sir Francis Drake sacked Cádiz in late 1500s and also made off with barrels of sherry, introducing England to one of its all time favorite drinks. The great naval battle of Trafalgar was fought nearby - a naval defeat for Napoleon and saving England from invasion.

Last edited:
Thanks! A big motivation to visit Cádiz is the historical aspect of the city - just to be there. Oldest city in Western Europe founded by the Phoenicians. Major port for the Spanish Navy - the Armada that attacked England sailed from there. Sir Francis Drake sacked Cádiz in late 1500s and also made off with barrels of sherry, introducing England to one of its all time favorite drinks. The great naval battle of Trafalgar was fought nearby - a naval defeat for Napoleon and saving England from invasion.

We loved Cadiz......wandered around initially in the pre-dawn darkness....a nice little city.

If you enjoy the book you might want to check out the Alatriste series by the same author.......DW & I both loved them.....(and all his other works for that matter).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/90411.Captain_Alatriste

I loved CadiZ .We took a taxi tour around .That driver whipped down all these tiny side streets and showed us all the highlights . He dropped us off at the main square and we ate and shopped for quite awhile .A glass of wine was 2Euro and a coffee was 1.50 Euro .

I loved CadiZ .We took a taxi tour around .That driver whipped down all these tiny side streets and showed us all the highlights . He dropped us off at the main square and we ate and shopped for quite awhile .A glass of wine was 2Euro and a coffee was 1.50 Euro .

Cool! Thanks.

I never got to take side trips from Sevilla, other than to Córdoba, which is on the AVE line.

I don't know about the coast but I've been meaning to get to Ronda and the white villages.

I never got to take side trips from Sevilla, other than to Córdoba, which is on the AVE line.

I don't know about the coast but I've been meaning to get to Ronda and the white villages.
We are going to attempt a long day trip to Rhonda from Sevilla. It's a long bus trip - ~ 2 - 2.5 hrs each way, but should be very scenic riding over the mountains. 7am departure gets there at 9:45am and then there are departures at 15:30, 17:00 or 18:00 back to Sevilla, so some flexibility in terms of how long to stay.

We also found a cool mini-van guided day trip from Sevilla to visit those famous Iberian black pigs that get to roam in the mountains under shady oaks and eat acorns all day. We tour a pig farm up in the mountains of Sierra de Araceno National Park and visit a mountain village, have lunch in a traditional tavern there, and they throw in a famous cave visit before returning. DH says but he doesn't really like pigs. I pointed out that he loves jamón ibérico and who wouldn't want to see happy pigs who roam in wide open spaces free eating acorns?

We're staying in several other cities in Andalusia and many transfers will be by bus. One coast city we'll try is Nerja for few nights, then on to Granada, and Úbeda, and finally Córdoba.

The high road to Taos is really lovely. Should be a good time of year to do it.
+!.

Five things in/around Taos besides Pueblo:

- Millicent Rogers jewelry museum
- High bridge over Rio Grande north of town 5-10 miles
- "Earth ships" development west of town of homes built into hillsides
- Basilica & its spiral staricase
- Georgia O'Keefe Museum
- Food!
- Territorial architecture downtown

Going on Baltic cruise first of June. Not a big cruise fan, but goes places I probably wouldn't go to on land.

Back
Top Bottom