Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

I believe that airlines have been allowing what are termed "emotional support" animals to fly with their humans. There is a definite distinction between the emotional support designation and "service animals". Service animals have been trained to to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability.

DW & I know several acquaintances and even a family member that have been able to get their M.D.'s to declare their dogs as "emotional support" animals for the sole purpose of taking their dogs with them on trips. I take it then that Delta will no longer permit "emotional support" animals on their aircrafts.

Last May, when flying home from Paris - we had a lengthy conversation with a flight attendant. She inferred that animals had greater rights than paying customers. Further, she explained to us that if no additional seats were available on the flight and an animal was the nuisance (neighboring passenger was allergic) - the animal gets to stay and the passenger would need to be rebooked on the next flight.

We did not like the policy, BUT it gives us an understanding to Delta Airlines corporate mindset.

I'm glad that they now have retracted that condition and are formalizing a process to handle the transportation of pets.

I

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sf...tes-get-US-do-not-travel-warning-12488170.php

Mazatlan is in Sinaloa but it was fine when i was last there. It also has Baja Ca on alert (Cabo) ... neither dangerous IMHO
Anyone that follows the BS out of the state department deserves to miss out. Yes Sinaloa is a drug state, but Mazatlan is a tourist mecca.

We met some people from WA state who decided that Hawaii was safer. They paid the big bucks for 3 years. Then they returned to PV and discovered that nothing had changed!

(I believe that the State Department consists of people who have never left home!)

Last May, when flying home from Paris - we had a lengthy conversation with a flight attendant. She inferred that animals had greater rights than paying customers. Further, she explained to us that if no additional seats were available on the flight and an animal was the nuisance (neighboring passenger was allergic) - the animal gets to stay and the passenger would need to be rebooked on the next flight.

We did not like the policy, BUT it gives us an understanding to Delta Airlines corporate mindset.

I'm glad that they now have retracted that condition and are formalizing a process to handle the transportation of pets.I
I would like them adopt a policy that emotional support animals are subject to being bumped if any passenger objects. There is too much abuse of that policy, including bogus doctors reports. I would also like to see the doctors held accountable.

Anyone that follows the BS out of the state department deserves to miss out. Yes Sinaloa is a drug state, but Mazatlan is a tourist mecca.

We met some people from WA state who decided that Hawaii was safer. They paid the big bucks for 3 years. Then they returned to PV and discovered that nothing had changed!

(I believe that the State Department consists of people who have never left home!)

DW & I recently spent 2 months in Chapala/Ajijic, Jalisco which is also on the U.S. State Dept. list for travel warnings. We walked the streets at night and felt safer while in Mexico than we have in some U.S. cities, including the Phoenix area.

Just spent an amazing few days in Singspre. We fly to Thailand tomorrow for some beach time on the islands.

US state dept .......their pronouncements are strictly CYA.

Eastwestgal: I travel frequently to Vienna and Salzburg. In Salzburg I always stay at the Bergland: index Wonderful, friendly accomodation, walk to everything, reasonable price. In Vienna I usually stay at one of the many pensions on Mariahilferstrasse, such as the Hargita. I've also stayed at the Donauwaltzer: https://www.donauwalzer.at/
P.S. I'm not sure why the link I included above says 'index,' but it does go to the Bergland.

Thanks. We are going to cement our plans next week.

Doing a snowshoe trip in a couple of weeks and staying at our favorite lodge in Sisters, OR.

Spending the month of July and first two weeks in August in northern Washington State to escape the heat, then going on a kayak trip in the San Juan Islands. Hoping to travel to Vancouver and Victoria since we'll be close.

The month of September starting in Galway and doing a few other places in Ireland, then Edinburgh, four day hike around the Lake District in England, then to Oxford, followed by Vienna and hiking near Hallstatt, Austria, a few days in Dublin, then back home via a few days in New England.

DW and I are scheduled to go to LAX late March, hoping to do a side trip up to Solvang and Santa Barbara wine country, but 101 was shut down because of mudslides. Can anyone suggest a alternate trip? We do like to hike and eat!

Booked a cruise yesterday. Leaving for the port town today, sailing tomorrow. Joining family.

Not a plan yet, but I now have a plan for a plan. Dubai this year end, along with a few days in India. Now all I need is to run this by DS to see if he agrees - we would be visiting him.

Just another circumnavigation? ;)
Not quite so bold. It's just an "I need out of the cold" trip. 5 days to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It's not the "where" that's driving this one. Right now I'm wondering St Pete on a Sunday. The bus is $2.50 and I can ride all day. Google maps making it easy to know when to get off to see my next wander point.

I'm wandering St Pete on a Sunday. The bus is $2.50 and I can ride all day. Google maps making it easy to know when to get off to see my next wander point.

Buying transit passes, and just riding around, is something we try and do in almost every city we visit.........the realist's HOHO bus.

Road trip to and back from St Louis to Yellowstone. Trying to figure out how many days to spend/stay in the East Wyoming/western South Dakota area. (Devil's Tower, Black Hills, Custer State park, Wind Cave National Park, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, etc). Any advice would be welcome.

We do plan to use the Just Ahead app at many of our stops. We got a free trial of it at Bryce Canyon a couple years ago and found it really fun and helpful. (It is an audioguide on your smartphone that uses gps to determine what to say depending on where you are)

Last edited:
Doing a snowshoe trip in a couple of weeks and staying at our favorite lodge in Sisters, OR.

You will be glad to hear we finally got some snow. We got a good dump around Thanksgiving. Then nothing until this last week. Only snow was at the highest elevation sno parks. And "some" at Bachelor. But after 2 months that was more ice than snow. This last week maybe 3' or so.

Looks like small amounts most of this week. Are you at 5 Pines? Never stayed there. Looks really nice

We are big fans of Wanderlust Tours in Bend. Moonlight snowshoe is probably my fav

Working on Southern Spain in May after the late April tulips and family visits in the Netherlands. Bit of a scramble to get it all figured out and things booked. Just didn’t have time to do anything over Xmas except the more time critical Netherlands part.

Just back from Florida yesterday. The next trip is Alaska in June. We just booked the tickets and hotels. Hotels seem pretty pricey considering what you get. You have to spend at least $200 per night to get something decent or considered average in most states. I guess they make their money June through September.

Santa Fe in June, part work, part vacation. I've never been to New Mexico. Any recommendations?

You'll love it. How long are you going to take? Last October we spent 2 1/2 weeks to do Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase Escalante, Capital Reef, Bears Ears, Canyonlands, and Arches.

+1
My home turf, and highly recommended. Actually worked in all of them as an archaeologist over the last twenty years.

Myself, we're going north, leaving on friday for Whistler/Blackcomb for ten days of skiing. Understand they're doing very well with snow this year :cool:

We are planning a walk on the South Downs trail in southern England. Anyone done either a tour or self directed walk, booking your own accommodation, luggage transfer etc? We may do 5-7 nights (52-80 miles total). This will be part of a longer trip, the rest to be spent in London or visiting friends in and around London. Main driver for the trip is DH’s desire to see the band Camel at Royal Albert Hall on 17 September. He’s a long time fan, since the 70’s.

Santa Fe in June, part work, part vacation. I've never been to New Mexico. Any recommendations?

We visited Santa Fe (our first time) last November.

Meow Wolf and a trip to Taos Pueblo were the highlights for us.

The food around Santa Fe is awesome. A couple of restaurants we enjoyed were Blue Corn Cafe and Cafe Castro (which we visited after Meow Wolf). A good friend of mine sent me NM Hatch chile powders for my birthday. That stuff is really good.

Hope you let us know how you liked/loved Santa Fe. :)

Back
Top Bottom