Anyone use CarPlay Technology in Vehicle

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with connection from iPhone to CarPlay technology for use of maps, music, or phone use?

The research I have one is that no DATA is used from cell phone provider, when using maps or music when connected to CarPlay.

Anyone know if that is true or not?

What is your review good/bad about using CarPlay Tech?

I use Apple CarPlay with an old iPhone to listen to podcasts while I drive. The interface is still a bit clunky, although that could be a Honda issue. No idea if it is transmitting anything, although with Apple's recen for us in privacy I doubt they would do this.

Not an I-guy, but Android Auto uses no data if I use google maps I downloaded, and YouTube Music that I have downloaded to my music library. Bet ya I stuff is the same. You may miss out on currant speed traps and traffic delays without data. Not a problem where I live and probably not a problem where you live.

CarPlay just extends the user interface of your phone to the car's dashboard. So if your phone is drawing data (music, maps, etc.) then it will keep doing that and play/display it to you in the car. Anything already downloaded on the phone won't draw new data, of course.

So essentially your data use doesn't change when CarPlay is in use; it's the same as if you were walking around with your phone. CarPlay usage doesn't add any new data draw.

Personally, I love it, and car makers are now starting to include it with Bluetooth so you don't have to plug the phone in with a cable. That's a big improvement, although it's not generally adaptable to older model cars.

Outstanding information once again. Thank you!

I've been using Android Auto for two years in our 2019 Subaru Forester. For navigation, I think Google Maps and Waze are significantly better than my past experience with Garmin or stock systems mainly because of the real-time traffic data as well as points of interest and other information, like speed limits, speed traps, and potholes, to name a few. But of course it's also updated regularly for the latest road and map data at no cost. But all this does use mobile data. Of course, it works with downloaded maps if you don't need/want all those other features.

It also allows hands-free messaging, which is quite convenient. I also like to listen to podcasts and Pandora. But again, almost all of this uses mobile data. For me, it's worth it for things like starting and stopping exactly where I left off in a long podcast, etc. I do sometimes listen to my own music or downloaded podcasts, but honestly, it's just audio and doesn't seem to consume much data at all. So I don't sweat the data usage.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Android Auto. I'm sure Apple Carplay is similar. It makes no sense for each auto manufacturer to develop and maintain their own proprietary in-car experience. So I like the concept. The only problem I've ever had is with connectivity drops. These are easily solved by using an OEM cable or another really good quality cable. I'm looking forward to more cars having wireless connectivity, but that's pretty limited right now.

I've been using CarPlay in our Subaru as well and very happy with it. Much better than the integrated Navi systems on our Honda or Hyundai. Use Waze mainly for traffic. Hands free messaging is great. Waze does use some data over downloaded Google Maps but a small price to pay for the info provided.

I use CarPlay a lot, I really like it - enough that I probably wouldn’t buy a car that didn’t support CarPlay. I use Apple Maps or Waze for most trips, both much better than the NAV systems in our Subaru and Honda. And I’d rather listen to my music library and playlists than radio any day. Text and call automation is also very nice, better than the Subaru or Honda integrations. Siri understands voice commands 10-times better than Subarus AWFUL, USELESS voice command feature that returns ‘I didn’t understand’ 9 out of 10 times whether it’s me or DW talking.

Last edited:
So essentially your data use doesn't change when CarPlay is in use; it's the same as if you were walking around with your phone. CarPlay usage doesn't add any new data draw.

I'll confirm this. And if you're not careful, it can eat up a ton of data without your realizing it, depending on what apps you're using.

Edit to clarify: this isn't a CarPlay thing; it's just whatever the phone is using for maps, music streaming, etc.

I'll confirm this. And if you're not careful, it can eat up a ton of data without your realizing it, depending on what apps you're using.

Edit to clarify: this isn't a CarPlay thing; it's just whatever the phone is using for maps, music streaming, etc.

Maps for GPS navigation doesn’t use that much. But if you are streaming music or podcasts it sure can use a lot of data. We listen to music already on the phone. If I’m going to listen to podcasts I usually download them ahead of time.

I download large chunks of the local maps and also mountainous areas with no coverage, when I am home on WiFi. IF you grab 100MB of map once, it is more efficient than just hitting the online source over and over again on your data plan. That is what happens, it is like downloading the same PDF over and over again.

I download large chunks of the local maps and also mountainous areas with no coverage, when I am home on WiFi. IF you grab 100MB of map once, it is more efficient than just hitting the online source over and over again on your data plan. That is what happens, it is like downloading the same PDF over and over again.
I have done that on foreign trips to find my way around cities and have done it in remote locations in the US. When you download a local map will the phone still download fresh data if the cellular data connection is enabled?

As a note, we use carplay alot.

We only use google maps, not apple maps as apple maps downloads map as you travel, and google will download relevant maps when you select your route.

We regularly take trips where cell phone coverage is spotty, and apple map will inevitable be a blank screen - when we get to that area, whereas google maps will illustrate the downloaded map.

I've noticed this too. I can be on a lonely highway somewhere with no data coverage for 20-30 minutes. But Google Maps continues to display map data with no interruption. I always assumed it buffered map data based on the route I entered. I have no experience with Apple Maps but I'd be surprised if it didn't do something similar.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm a first time user of CarPlay as of yesterday. I just used the map that on my iPhone when I bought it. I did some navigation and used Siri with voice locations/addresses and worked like a charm.

Next will be figuring out the phone hands free and text messaging.

My big concern and question was if I would be using DATA while CarPlay was activated. All indications say it shouldn't use additional DATA.

Yes, your phone data will be used when you use car play. I do not find that is uses very much data. I use it for Apple Music, and it works great. I use it for maps also. I have Ford Sync 4, but i prefer the car play navigation myself. Plus my new truck has wireless car play, which is a game changer.

Back
Top Bottom