Anyone with multiple Melanomas?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the past 6 years I have had multiple skin cancers removed, including 4 or 5 melanomas. The last 2 within 4 months (I still need to schedule this surgery).

All have been stage 0. All on top of the skin. Surgery should resolve it.

I was in the sun a lot as a kid (68 now).

Just wondering if others have had this.

DW 3 times, stage 3 still with us. My cousin once. She died 6 months later.

Take it serious. Best wishes to you, it is much more serious than any financial discussion.

I had melanoma once at age 40. Stage 0 too.
I wear lotion every day and a hat while playing Pickleball. I don't make any special effort to avoid the sun, but don't lay out anymore.
I see a Dermatologist 2x yearly and have had some moles removed before they developed further.

There is a guy in my golf group in his late 60's who has 18 removed. Some on his head and the rest on his back and arms. He was in the Navy and said many times he would go shirtless on the ship. I saw him after having one cut off his head and he looked pretty rough. But he heals and keeps on playing golf.

Wow, some of those numbers are depressingly high.

I grew up in the 60's-70's in Arizona without sunscreen, and didn't do a good job of covering up in the 80's and 90's while living in Arizona either. Much more attentive in the last 30 years, but the damage is mostly done.

I've been on the up escalator for skin cancer for the last 10 years. Squamous->basal cell->melanoma. Mostly arms and scalp, but the melanoma was on my back. All superficial (Stage 0?) with no re-occurrence. Very fortunate to have caught them early, and none have been on my face or ears.

Now on a 3 month schedule with the dermatologist, and they are extra cautious. Biopsied 4 spots a few months ago, all benign. I expect that will be the routine for the rest of my life.

Suppose that's the consequence of being able to live much of my life outdoors and not have to shovel snow;)

Have had a couple of melanomas on my chest (stage 0) and also 3 or 4 squamous/basal cell on back/chest removed in the last 2-3 years. As others, I grew up in the sun without sunscreen. My first dermatologist visit was at age 65 (will soon be 68). I see the derm doc every six months now.

This is a timely post. I saw my dermatologist 3 weeks ago, had a spot on my arm biopsied which showed a small melanoma. It was removed 2 days ago using a burn and scrape procedure which can be done in office.

He also has me on a 28 day Fluorouracil treatment for my face. It’s a cream that is applied every night which kills off pre-cancerous cells. As you use it, your face gets progressively redder and looks like you have a bad sunburn. Once the treatment is stopped, new healthy skin grows in to replace the old skin. It’s not the most pleasant experience, but it was highly recommended and well worth it. 7 more days to go! :D

I just had my yearly skin check this week, 6 spots treated/frozen.
I have had multiple spots removed in the past, thankfully all benign.
At risk due to Light skin tone, multiple freckles and tiny moles, and no sun screen many sun burns as a child--the "baby oil" suntan generation!. My father had skin cancer.

OP here. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I am not alone.

The irony is I first went to a dermatologist about 6-7years ago, because DW said I had an ugly mole on my back. That mole is still there, but it likely saved me from more serious bouts of skin cancer since it made me see a doc.

FWIW, I am also now on the 3 month schedule, and likely will be for the rest of my life.

I've had three, one squamous cell and two melanoma, thankfully all caught early. Nothing in the last six or seven years, I see a dermatologist yearly. That was cut from six months at the five-year mark.

This is a timely post. I saw my dermatologist 3 weeks ago, had a spot on my arm biopsied which showed a small melanoma. It was removed 2 days ago using a burn and scrape procedure which can be done in office.

He also has me on a 28 day Fluorouracil treatment for my face. It’s a cream that is applied every night which kills off pre-cancerous cells. As you use it, your face gets progressively redder and looks like you have a bad sunburn. Once the treatment is stopped, new healthy skin grows in to replace the old skin. It’s not the most pleasant experience, but it was highly recommended and well worth it. 7 more days to go! :D

That is why Fluorouacil has earned its nickname, The Mean Cream.

Remember it only takes one. My friend had a spot on his leg that he let get to the size of a quarter before seeing a doctor. Surprise! It was melanoma and they had to take a large chunk of muscle to get it all.

Or so they thought. Two years later, he funds a lump in the lymph nodes above that leg. It's back!

Treatment 1 was experimental and failed with the mass growing. Additional imaging showed spots on lymph, liver and lungs, Stage 4. Treatment 2 was immunotherapy and also failed with a new melanoma on his face and a golf ball size mass on his back. Treatment 3 is now working and they still give him a good chance to beat it, but melanoma is a nasty foe.

Back
Top Bottom