Anyone with traffic patrol experience?

I live in a one block gated community, and for 2 years the HOA attempted to address the complaints of some very vocal members who campaigned for installing 4 sets of speed bumps on our street. The speed limit posted at the entrance gate is 15 mph. First, the HOA sent out a survey and found a majority did not want speed bumps. The vocal minority demanded more action. So the HOA paid for 2 sets of speed strips set in place for 1 or 2 weeks and took an average of the speeds. The average speed was 17 mph, and the HOA dropped the issue. Now I admit, whenever I passed over the speed strips, I slowed waaay down to decrease the average. I really did not want speed bumps.

The vocal minority continued to express outrage. So the HOA posted really big speed limit signs on every lamp post on our street (about 8 signs). I admit the signs did help me to check my speed and probably did help.

I don't understand. How can a "one block" community have traffic issues?

Usually the residents that demand speed bumps have kids that ride bikes, and play in the street. It always amazes me how many of these parents refuse to spend time teaching their kids how to be safe riding their bikes or playing outside. In many cases, I see the adults standing around while their kids ride or run out right in front of cars and yet the parent says nothing. When I grew up we played in the street all the time, and when a car came, everyone would yell car and then all moved to the side of the street. Common sense seems to be outdated nowadays.

I don't understand. How can a "one block" community have traffic issues?

There is a gate at both ends of this single private street, and some homeowners complain that there are speeders going through the street.

Usually the residents that demand speed bumps have kids that ride bikes, and play in the street.

Yes, I believe the vocal minority are parents of children that are allowed to play in the street. The parents successfully convinced the HOA to provide any homeowner who requested them a free yellow pedestrian statue "children at play" to keep inside their garage. Then, annoyingly, they would place these signs right in the middle of the street in the afternoon so cars would have to maneuver around them. Sometimes, I would see the sign in the street, but no children or homeowner in sight.

In our 55+ community the golf carts are allowed to go the legal speed limit of 20 mph on the same streets as autos. So perhaps the 15 mph speed limit is unrealistically low. With so little traffic and so few that are "excessively" speeding i wouldn't bother with speed bumps. Besides they are really rough on a golf cart suspension.

I detest speed bumps that force you to go slower than the posted speed limit. Near me, there are speed "hills" that force drivers to drop to 10-15 mph in a 25 mph zone, so everyone slows way down, and then those drivers speed up to 30 or so after the hill. Before they were installed, most folks went 25. And trucks and trailers make a ton of noise going over those things. I hope the residents love it.

Need to view those little bumps in the road as a driving challenge. If you time it right you can hit the brakes to get a nose dive, then release and accelerate while the nose lifts just as you hit the bump. Done just right there is a real feeling of accomplishment and you float right over the intended impediment.

Need to view those little bumps in the road as a driving challenge. If you time it right you can hit the brakes to get a nose dive, then release and accelerate while the nose lifts just as you hit the bump. Done just right there is a real feeling of accomplishment and you float right over the intended impediment.

Used to do that all the time with my employer's car. When I try it with DW she panics at the (to her) impending crash.

And I find that the ones they have here have very little effect on the 4WD GMC pickup. I guess it's some combination of suspension travel and wheelbase length. The Honda Accord, with it's more limited suspension travel and shorter wheelbase, feels them a lot more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom