Apple AirTags

There must be a huge demand for these things. I ordered yesterday and delivery is set for late May.

It seems like the perfect thing to attack to a suitcase.

I ordered one yesterday along with a Belkin key chain fob for another $13 or so. I'll use it to track my keys. I'm not prone to losing my keys, but one never knows. I'm mostly curious about it and wanting to play with it.

There must be a huge demand for these things. I ordered yesterday and delivery is set for late May.

It seems like the perfect thing to attack to a suitcase.

Yeah, DH didn’t quite make the opening bell. Ordered maybe 45 mins later and got 3 to 4 weeks.

He ordered the engraved 4 pack.

Clearly huge demand. We’ve been hearing about these for years!

If you personalize them it adds significantly to the lead time. You can still get non-engraved ones delivered May 4. You can also order them from Amazon or Best Buy but they are not guaranteeing any particular delivery date, and no engraving.

I’ve had a chance to set up and test the Air Tags for a bit today. It seems like a very nice piece of technology so far. I have my Air Tag in my wallet, stored inside a gym bag, inside my car in the garage. If I’m not near the garage I just see a general location of the house address. Once I move closer to the garage it picks up a signal and begins tracking the device to an exact location.

I can see why they came out with all of these keychain and luggage tag accessories. I think the Air Tag works best when it’s out in the open and your Iphone can pick up a strong signal. The more things you have it enclosed in the weaker the signal becomes.

But overall, for $25 a piece, this seems like a very nice product with all of the typical apple polish to make it effortless to set up and use.

I just put one in my wallet. Needed to update my 2 week old iPhone 12 to iOS 14.5 before activating. After 14.5 install, my wallet Apple tag works great. Gave one to DW. I have 2 more to install. And I’m getting the keychain tag also.

The only use I can imagine for myself is my keys, but I’ve never lost them (yet). DW and I subscribe to the everything in it’s place method and it seems to help a lot. If we had dogs, we’d probably want Airtags in them if that works. Never lost a dog either, but we did have a couple scares, and other peoples dogs wander off in our neighborhood almost every day (and get reunited through FB).

I think I'm gonna put one on my iPhone, because I'm always misplacing it.... :) :)
I wear an Apple Watch. I don’t lose it as it’s on my wrist or nightstand charging. It can make my phone beep - so I can always find my phone. My phone can be just about anywhere!

The Apple Watch also displays when your phone is out of range. “Oh, no, did I leave it behind?!?” Quickly looks at watch face.

Then, of course, there is the where's my phone app that I can run on my mac or other iOS devices.

Last edited:
Our engraved Apple airtags showed up today even though they gave us a May 11 delivery date!

One clever lady used Airtags to get her belongings back when the movers claimed they were having issues locating them.

https://www.newsweek.com/army-wife-...ers-they-lied-about-their-whereabouts-1672350
Prior to making the cross-country trek, Valerie felt inclined to track her family's possessions in case something happened during the moving process. She had an Apple AirTag that she inserted into a box of her son's toys.
The family's household goods were all packed up in mid-December in Colorado, with the intention of receiving all their possessions on January 5 in New York. While they received most of their items on January 8, Valerie said they "were still lacking a few of our high-value items left in Colorado."
On January 7 the couple saw that their AirTag was moving, and was later contacted that their items would be delivered on January 8. However, a moving guy reportedly told Austin that he "just picked up the stuff" and would take another day or two.
Because of the AirTag, the couple knew the moving guy was not in Colorado but was just less than five hours away in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

DD placed an air tag on our dog in the event he escapes from the backyard. I am not sure myself whether this is a good use for this device, as its associated with her iPhone.

DD placed an air tag on our dog in the event he escapes from the backyard. I am not sure myself whether this is a good use for this device, as its associated with her iPhone.

I think it's a fine use for it.
Just be sure it has an innocuous name if you're concerned about it.

I saw this first hand when I was on a trip last week. I had taken the suitcase that DW normally uses, and one of her Airtags was in it. So I got notifications on my phone that "DW's Airtag is following you, and DW can see your location."

That was fine with me, of course, but it shows how they have built a pretty good safeguard into it.

I think it's a fine use for it.
Just be sure it has an innocuous name if you're concerned about it.

I saw this first hand when I was on a trip last week. I had taken the suitcase that DW normally uses, and one of her Airtags was in it. So I got notifications on my phone that "DW's Airtag is following you, and DW can see your location."

That was fine with me, of course, but it shows how they have built a pretty good safeguard into it.

I was thinking that was a great way to use the airtag. Say goodbye to lost/stolen bags.

Bag thieves may even NOT steal bags they think or get warned have an air tag.

Here in Chicago, with car jacking up to record levels, it would help in the recovery of a car. Saw on the news, some lady was car jacked, and the thieves were trading up, they left the old stolen car and took hers. Now she has no idea where her car is. Police say they use license reader cameras to find the abandoned stolen cars, but they only cover small areas.

I keep my tag on my person (double sided taped to my keyless car fob which is lanyarded to my belt) and alarm it to go off if I drop my phone in public for any reason.

But wow, the holder cost almost as much as an airtag.
Very hard to find one that is both very secure and 100% waterproof and our dog is a total water dog. Well worth it for our pets!

Back
Top Bottom