Appliances

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
Just looking to see if folks have any recommendations on best brand(s) of appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc.) in terms of both reliability and feature/function?

Thanks

There are many good brands out there. We have been very happy with Viking (coooktop, oven, microwave, built in counter depth refrigerator and wine fridge). We have a relatively new Miele dishwasher. These two brands are pricey, but I have found that you get what you pay for. They also contribute to resale value when selling your home. YMMV.

Just looking to see if folks have any recommendations on best brand(s) of appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc.) in terms of both reliability and feature/function?

Thanks

LG and Whirlpool are good for washer/dryer sets. We like Samsung for our refrigerator because it has two ice makers, but we did replace our last one after only ten years. We paid less for the new one than we paid for a similar one ten years ago in actual dollars. For dishwasher we went with Bosch. It’s very quiet! We have an Electrolux gas range that has been around for eleven years.
None of these have and WiFi or are very complex in their features. They get the job done.

Up north we have a 40's - 50's era gas range with griddle. Got it well used at a church yard sale 20 years ago and it continues to make hot when we put a match to the oven. I live in fear of the time we have to replace any appliances with the latest smart/AI enabled whiz-bang new motherboard wearing LED flashing tom-foolery jimcrack from the appliance store.

LG and Whirlpool are good for washer/dryer sets.
+1
I have been very happy with my oversized LG washer/dryer set, which was top rated by Consumer Reports at the time. Some people here do not like Consumer Reports, but I have had nothing but good luck with their recommendations. So, I'd recommend getting something they like that fits your needs.

As for my frig, I have a $699 Sears Kenmore freezer-on-top refrigerator. It meets my needs and keeps the food cold without needing repairs, but otherwise is nothing special. I am of the opinion that the fancier and more fashionable the frig, the more likely it is to need repairs. So, I chose to keep it simple.

Our dryer died the other day and the washer is also ancient, so I am in the market for a new washer/dryer pair and have been reading up on them. I found that our public library has an online subscription to Consumer Reports that I can use from home, and that's been really useful. Currently LG is at the top of their recommendation lists for both washers and dryers. Costco and Best Buy both have a bundle of the highest recommended ones. Delivery times are about a month out though, so I'll be making a few more trips to the laundromat before we can get the new ones.

We purchased Bosch when we reno'd our kitchen 4 years ago. 2 of the 4 appliances needed repair within the 1 year warranty period. The 3rd, several months after warranty ran out :mad:. The dishwasher is still going strong :LOL:. I chose Bosch as I was very pleased with their dishwasher and gas cooktop I had previously. Working with Bosch on the induction cooktop was a nightmare. I was told by their repair person that I needed to learn how to cook properly :(.

We purchased a highly rated (Consumer Reports) LG washer and dryer. The washer leaked intermittently and LG refused to replace it after 4 service calls and videos of the leaking. They couldn't replicate the problem therefore it didn't exist and they only replace after 4, count 'em 4, repairs. No more LG products for us ever. No more LG products because of how they deal with problem units. You want a company that has your back when things go wrong.

Last edited:
Buy a 25 year old Kenmore that hasn't been used. My opinion, appliances have gotten worse* over the last 20 years.
*Re: lifetime and repairs needed.
Sorry I have no real recommendation.

We just did some research on a new fridge. Spoke to dealers, friends, and looked at Consumer's Reports. It all pointed to LG

For the fridge we went with LG. Avoided domestic brands and Samsung. We had some challenges in getting the fridge that we wanted. Stock was low...apparently some manufactures have parts problems for the build. But there was lots of stock if we had wanted Whirlpool or Samsung. Only had the LG fridge for a month so it is early days.

Have not replaced the dishwasher but plan to. It will be Bosch. Not interested in the domestic brands. They have awful reviews.

Our home came with Frigidaire Professional series gear in the kitchen. Gas stove is perfect. The fridge and dishwasher are/very poor to the point where we would not even consider another Frigidaire product of any sort.

We would rather pay more upfront and get a dependable brand. Service calls are expensive and a hassle. Shopping for appliances is not a joy. We want to avoid both for as long as possible.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with LG, GE and Samsung products....

When we bought a new house 18 years ago it came with all GE appliances. Within six years we had to replace all but two of them, and one of those needed an expensive repair (motherboard for the refrigerator).

Under no circumstances will we ever own anything made by GE again. Some have said "But those were builder's appliances." I say BS. GE puts their name on crap products, I don't buy anything from them ever again, and am more than happy to share the story whenever I can.

There are many good brands out there. We have been very happy with Viking (coooktop, oven, microwave, built in counter depth refrigerator and wine fridge). We have a relatively new Miele dishwasher. These two brands are pricey, but I have found that you get what you pay for. They also contribute to resale value when selling your home. YMMV.

So much to read, so little time. Oh, wait, you are retired and have the time.
https://blog.yaleappliance.com
Very useful information.

Personally, I am a fan of Sub-Zero (fridge, wine cooler), Wolf (hob), Miele (speed oven, convection oven, vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, washer, dryer).

The brands mentioned are in a completely different class than the typical middle income, frugal buyer would entertain. I like high end stuff, and if you can afford it, I’m sincerely happy for you. Personally, I can’t imagine spending that kind of money on an appliance. Just rough numbers, a Sub-Zero is going to come in around $10K and a Viking stove over $5K. Pretty much double to three times what an LG or even a BOSCH would run. In practical terms, I can’t see how they’d be worth it. In “put a smile on your face” terms, I’m sure they excel. I guess if you’re going to go that route, better be one of those gifts one buys themselves at the beginning of retirement so you have time to get the years out of them that will bring their total cost down.

In my last remodel, I went with LG for fridge, stove, washer and dryer. BOSCH for the dishwasher (very quiet). I’m happy with everything but the fridge. There’s a class action settlement on the compressor. I did not experience the failure so I’ll get the extended warranty out of the settlement. Funny though is that about 4 years in, I have noticed the compressor starting to make louder operating noises. I think the warranty is for 5 years.

The only thing I’d like on the stove that it doesn’t have is a better pull out mechanism for the oven racks. When there’s a lot of weight on the rack (large Dutch oven), it doesn’t pull out real smooth. The high end stoves have a roller bearing mechanism that would be very nice.

I did get a Miele canister vacuum and it’s very nice. Easier to splurge on a hundreds of dollar item than a thousands of dollar item.

So far my new LG washer has been fine. Our new-ish KitchenAid dishwasher has also been fine, except it takes several hours to finish a cycle (there are settings for quicker cycles but they are supposed to take more water/energy, so we run it overnight).

We have a Samsung gas dryer and a Samsung refrigerator that I bought 10 years ago. They have held up, but the dryer doesn't always "dry" completely the first time, and the fridge makes a horrible LOUD cracking sound at random intervals. Current models might be better. Internet research showed that Samsung disavowed that anything was wrong with this common complaint of that model fridge, which was apparently caused by thermal expansion of something inside as the temperature cycled. Otherwise, all has been OK. Again, that was 10 years ago.

I had a Maytag I bought in the 80s that lasted years until I left it behind in a house sale, and Dear Old Dad still had his Maytag washer from 1973 when he died in 2017. However, I bought a Maytag Neptune in the late 90s that was horrible! Just Google it and read about the class action suit. Maytag ain't what it used to be - I think there's a reason you don't see a lonely repairman on the TV anymore.

When we bought a new house 18 years ago it came with all GE appliances. Within six years we had to replace all but two of them, and one of those needed an expensive repair (motherboard for the refrigerator).

Under no circumstances will we ever own anything made by GE again. Some have said "But those were builder's appliances." I say BS. GE puts their name on crap products, I don't buy anything from them ever again, and am more than happy to share the story whenever I can.
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with GE. (Do you fly? You know they make jet engines too.:)

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for GE, never have and I don't know anyone who does...

Now to my story.... My newest home came with all GE appliances. Electric stove/oven, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and "two" microwave ovens... I do recall the the water line to the freezers ice maker did "pop off" (careless installation) within the first few days, but since then, after 12 years everything is still working fine.

EDIT: I just remembered, we also replaced the original GE washer and dryer we had with the new house about 2 years ago... They were still working but the DW wanted the new fancy Samsung machines.:cool:

We did buy their upgraded appliances so I don't know if there is anything to that... Still they shouldn't build/sell crap at any model levels!

Last edited:
As one person in the appliance business said to us about fridges....there is a reason why dealers have so much Whirlpool product in stock. It moves because of price, not quality.

Our GE Professional series were supposed to be an upgrade. It they were an upgrade, I would hate to experience their builders grade products.

We put on a kitchen addition in 2005, which included the following

Subzero refrigerator/freezer
Wolf gas cooktop
Broan Best range hood
Wolf double electric wall ovens
GE Monogram microwave/convection oven

They have all performed flawlessly ever since and have as many features as we could ever use. (although I would prefer larger, separate fridge and freezer because we always lack space in them)

The dishwasher we went with originally was an ASKO. It needed a new circuit board after the first three years, but then worked well for 10 years after that. When the racks started to rust out in early 2018, I found it was not much more to get a new dishwasher than to buy replacement racks. We went with Miele this time. The circulator pump in it just crapped out last month and we had to get a replacement. As far as function, I think the Miele is better. It doesn't dry the dishes with an electric coil heater. You just open the door when it is done and they air dry. That means you can put the plastic stuff anywhere in the dishwasher. It also seems to clean a little better than the ASKO did. It is also quieter.

We had an LG front loader washer and dryer for about 11-12 years and had no complaint, although they had way more features than we ever used. About 3-4 years ago, we went with a SpeedQueen top load washer and dryer set. They are simpler, but adequate in terms of features we actually use, and we've been happy with them.

Last edited:
For high end kitchen appliances, we bought Kitchen Aid 2 years ago (new home) and have really enjoyed them with no issues....

For basic kitchen appliances, we bought Kenmore for the beach condo and we've had Kenmore our entire life prior to Kitchen Aid....all good and reliable.

For laundry, it's been Kenmore forever! No issues and they are workhorses.

Dishwasher: Go for a Bosch

Washer/Dryer: Go for mid line Speed Queen's with the long warranty.

Stove: My last was a GE Profile with double convection ovens. My current appliances are designer Kitchenaid, and they're too expensive for what you get.

Note that many appliances are far less in quality than in years past. And I've noted that many Samsung and LG appliances are on sale on F/B Marketplace. I would shy away from those brands--no matter how good looking they are.

we have a kitchen aid dridge, cooktop, microwave and trash compactor plus a bosch dishwasher and a maytag wall oven. 9+ years later 1 service call on the bosch, 0 on everything else.

the clothes dryer is a 32-yr old Kenmore with one or two service calls. we replaced the 21-year old Kenmore washer 11-years ago with a speed queen. the kenmore was becoming unreliable. no service calls on the speed queen. we chose the speed queen as it is totally mechanical with less than a dozen moving parts.

very happy with everything.

Last edited:
Buy a few local appliance repair folks some beverage of their choice and ask them what brands they have the least repair calls on!

I live in an entry level home that came equipped with entry level appliances. Home was built in 2000, I bought in 2008 and it came with a Magic Chef fridge and gas range/oven. Dishwasher is an entry level Maytag. All are running strong to this day with 0 service calls. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but if they all died tomorrow I would say that I got more than my money's worth out of them.

Parental units have a Bosch dishwasher that I am envious of due to it being so darn quiet and no service issues that I know of. If my cheap Maytag fails me, I'll go to the Bosch brand.

The other thing that my parents have that I covet, is a fridge built in the later 40's ( I believe it is a Frigidaire) that they picked up in the 60's. While I was growing up it was the beer/soda fridge in the garage. They still have it. I asked them about it a bit ago and they have never had it serviced or had the refrigerant replaced/refilled.

Short, stout and ugly, but if that thing is still running solid some seventy years later, I'm a believer.

Best of luck in your purchases!

And as I recall, you are hard over on Speed Queen for laundry.

So much to read, so little time. Oh, wait, you are retired and have the time.
https://blog.yaleappliance.com
Very useful information.

Personally, I am a fan of Sub-Zero (fridge, wine cooler), Wolf (hob), Miele (speed oven, convection oven, vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, washer, dryer).

When planning for an appliance purchase I now include the price for the extended warranty. It's so disappointing that major appliances are no longer made like in the old days, when a refrigerator or washer lasted 20 years or more.

We got a new kitchen last year and I've been happy with the Whirlpool refrigerator and dishwasher and I got a new GE gas range a few months ago that we really like. But I've learned not to get attached to these things, although I do love the dishwasher!

Quite happy with my GE Induction range/convection oven and dishwasher. Also Whirlpool fridge and clothes washer and dryer.

I buy low end stuff and toss it when it breaks. And that ain't often.

And as I recall, you are hard over on Speed Queen for laundry.

It depends.
Speed Queen would have been my laundry choice except our replacement timeframe was during a 2-year interval when their products were crap.
So, Miele it was.
Today, Speed Queen front loader would be be an excellent choice.
Dryer is another issue as I am a condensing heat pump aficionado.
Speed Queen and Miele washers are comparably priced. However, I think the Miele TwinDos system is amazing and very useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom