Are Dell Laptop Batteries That Finicky?

Do a google search on: Dell Latitude E5430 capacitor

Look at the videos and links for the issue.

The Dell model you have was made in 2014. You can buy another for $159 at Amazon or do a search there or at google for: refurbished computer laptops

Many to choose from.

Tried a search like you said but really didn't turn up anything pointing mentioning capacitor as the culprit for the laptop's symptoms. I do know where you are going though as a capacitor self discharge with laptop shutdown does seem to make sense.

If I was to buy a refurbished, I'd prob not buy the same model (though I like the easy access to service) as what's not to say I'd hit this issue again.

I've done the Dell diagnostics before on the laptop. With the current hardware, the diagnostics says all is well. In otherwords, won't pinpoint why the no POST situation. Thanks anyhow.
There's a long list of troubleshooting and isolation steps in my mind.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...t-logs-and-diagnostic-logging-on-dell-laptops

Are you recording everything you try in a logbook? If not, that can be helpful.

What BIOS do you have? Is it the latest?

There's a long list of troubleshooting and isolation steps in my mind.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...t-logs-and-diagnostic-logging-on-dell-laptops

Are you recording everything you try in a logbook? If not, that can be helpful.

What BIOS do you have? Is it the latest?

I admire your enthusiasm :).

Yes, latest BIOS. I think A21 is the actual BIOS version.

No logging.

I've been chasing my tail on this issue for probably over a year, thinking the issue was something else (software, regular battery, cmos battery, bios setting).

It's to the point where unless I come across an internet describing the exact symptoms and solution, I'm pretty much putting on back burner.

Looks like I'll just declare my laptop a vampire sucker (like my printer) on all the time, using a little energy in sleep mode.

One reasoning for this [-]coward's [/-] approach is on sleep mode, I calculate, at about 1 watt, will only cost about $1/year. I can afford that rather they continuing trying to pinpoint what's going on or sending into a place to fix (probably over $100).

One thing I may try (not now, but on back burner) is stepping down to a prior Bios to see if any better luck.

You know how if you bring an umbrella, the weather outside doesn't seem to rain?

Well, my Dell adapter arrived in the mail as I intend to, once the laptop not starting symptoms show up again, I'll try the Dell adapter to see if any change.

The pattern was I leave laptop alone overnight and in morning laptop can't boot. But of course, now that I'm observing, laptop has booted fine without hitch even after leaving off overnight and shut down a few times today :blush:. I had expected a no post situation first thing in the morning.

Electronic poltergeists are just like that.

Electronic poltergeists are just like that.

Yes they are.

The laptop didn't cure itself though as eventually, had the same no post happen again.

My next theory is maybe the Dell OEM adapter works a bit better as after plugging in for about 10 mins, the laptop posted again. With the non OEM adapter, had to wait until battery about fully charged.

I may still be just shooting in the dark. Regardless, at least I still have the just keep laptop on suspend mode, plugged in if comes to that.

Ha!, you have had way more fun trying to get that laptop to work consistently than you would have if it worked properly in the first place:)

Ha!, you have had way more fun trying to get that laptop to work consistently than you would have if it worked properly in the first place:)

Still doing some digging around.

I read where someone posted on a Dell forum with similar situation. Ended up the person fixed by changing the motherboard. Guess that may be one way. Whether exactly the board itself or a part on the board as the root cause.

Bit The Bullet

I went ahead and bought a used motherboard (MB) for my laptop.

Just finished installing :blush: and turning on laptop. Seems to work fine.

I'm confident as I even ran laptop on A/C alone with no battery and laptop posted and booted fine. Never got that far when things weren't working.

I'll let the laptop sit overnight then turn on again in the morning.

If works then , will conclude fixed! :dance:

Cost of used MB from ebay $32.95.

Had I gone the send in to repair route, would've been around $200 for parts and labor.

Guess the old axiom does hold true sometimes ... when in doubt, change the MB :cool:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom