Are you circumcised?

So what is the most important item in the Israeli pilot's survival kit? Answer - A Snap-on foreskin.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I saw this little mushroom statue in the park and it made me think of this thread. :D

img_780913_0_bd0e27c617cae682c425df5a2b9f19d7.jpg

From this link (updated Jan 2009)

In accordance with WHO/UNAIDS normative guidance, the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) supports safe medical male circumcision (MC) for HIV/AIDS prevention based on requests from host governments and in keeping with their national policies, guidelines and cultural norms.
PEPFAR recognizes that medical male circumcision can be an important part of HIV prevention programs.

I've been asking when the new administration was going to start making needed cuts, now I know.;)

Two Jewish guys in the restroom:

"Were you circumsized by Rabbi Swartz?"

"Yes, how'd you know?"

"Cause he always cut on the bias, and you're pi$$ing on my shoe..."

What did you and your wife decide to do, Trek?

Was clipped here as I was also born in the 70's in the US when it was all the rage, but I do think the decision should be left up to individual when he can make an informed choice for himself.

This thread definitely does not need pictures.

Interesting topic! I'm female but from my experience with the men in my life:

First husband was born prematurely and they decided it would be risky to circumcise such a small baby. They never did, until he was a teenager and became self-conscious about looking different. He was circumcised then at his request; he said it was very traumatic. When DS was born, I was open to the idea of leaving it alone; an aunt and uncle had chosen not to circumcise their sons for the reasons meadbh cited. I left the final decision to my husband, who felt that it was more important that DS look like the majority of guys in the locker room. DS has two daughters but they want more kids and I will express a preference that any sons not be circumcised but then step back and support whatever they do.

I've had only two non-circumcised partners in my life; both were born outside of the USA. It made no difference from my side, although it would have if they hadn't been scrupulous about cleanliness.

I don't agree. My husband is circumcised, as is my son and grandson - not for religious reasons. It is much easier to keep the male's genitals clean and I understand that statistically it is healthier for their wife. I believe sexual satisfaction is the result of technique and emotional connection, not foreskin.

This procedure should be done by a health care professional. It does not impact the length of the penis.

For the woman perhaps, but for the male, nope..
The men in your life really don't know what they are missing.

My parents didn't ask for my permission. DW is a pediatrician and she said that our boys didn't need a potentially dangerous medical procedure. I wasn't about to argue, I have never been able to get a talk that one of the pediatric urologists gave when I was a fellow out of my mind.

I was snipped at about 5years after an infection set in. I used to say that was a memory I could’ve done without (I was under for only the most grisly part). I’m pretty sure DB remains uncut.

However, I’ve since changed my mind. Elective minor surgery on infants is very difficult to justify, even for preemptive reasons. We don’t remove appendices or tonsils from babies. And I’ve known parents who pierced their baby girl’s ears, which struck me as bizarre. Leave the body whole unless there’s a clear medical reason to do otherwise, I say.

I’m guessing in a generation or so, circumcision will widely be considered mutiliation.

Google “baby loses penis after circumcision” if you dare. I witnessed just such a case in the 1980s.

This is a public service announcement

How to place a thread on ignore: Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics

Many thanks. :LOL:

These were great to read.....makes me glad i was (just barely) pervy enough to click on the thread....

I've been providing this service at parents' request off and on since 1988, depending on the hospital I was working in. I've probably performed between 5,000 and 10,000 of the procedures, taught and supervised colleagues and residents. I used local anesthesia and in my hands the babies rarely if ever cried, after I perfected my technique.

It's easy to say "there is no evidence of medical benefit" But truthfully, to those who say such a statement, have you ever bothered to research the literature? There is evidence for medical benefit.

It reduces UTIs in infant males 9-fold. Here is one published study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10742321

That is a large study, there are others, and this has been my experience as well.

It can also reduce the transmission of HIV. This is especially important in Africa.

WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1127372/

I'll put these resources up against any unreferenced opinion pieces anyone wants to post. (Softpedia). And if you google "baby loses penis after circumcision" you get reports of complications of circumcisions done outside of the newborn period, often not properly performed--people using lasers, electric cautery devices, etc.

I googled "baby loses penis after circumcision" and got a couple of cases of older infants and adult men, usually in India or the Middle East. The only US case I ran across was a newborn, and it was performed by a rabbi who is also a mohel.

I think it is for most, a religious and traditional decision. It is also the oldest surgery in the world. There are 13,000 year old cave paintings depicting circumcision. So whether or not you are circumcised, you have a lot of company.

What did you and your wife decide to do, Trek?

Was clipped here as I was also born in the 70's in the US when it was all the rage, but I do think the decision should be left up to individual when he can make an informed choice for himself.

This thread was started almost 9 years ago. And the poster you are asking about has not visited for over 4 years:

Last Activity: 07-16-2013 04:23 PM

And hasn't posted in over 7 years. Don't hold your breath (or foreskin, or ummm, place where your foreskin formerly resided) waiting for an answer.

It's still an interesting thread, but I will now unsubscribe.

-ERD50

I've been providing this service at parents' request off and on since 1988, depending on the hospital I was working in. I've probably performed between 5,000 and 10,000 of the procedures, taught and supervised colleagues and residents. I used local anesthesia and in my hands the babies rarely if ever cried, after I perfected my technique.

It's easy to say "there is no evidence of medical benefit" But truthfully, to those who say such a statement, have you ever bothered to research the literature? There is evidence for medical benefit.

It reduces UTIs in infant males 9-fold. Here is one published study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10742321

That is a large study, there are others, and this has been my experience as well.

It can also reduce the transmission of HIV. This is especially important in Africa.

WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1127372/

I'll put these resources up against any unreferenced opinion pieces anyone wants to post. (Softpedia). And if you google "baby loses penis after circumcision" you get reports of complications of circumcisions done outside of the newborn period, often not properly performed--people using lasers, electric cautery devices, etc.

I googled "baby loses penis after circumcision" and got a couple of cases of older infants and adult men, usually in India or the Middle East. The only US case I ran across was a newborn, and it was performed by a rabbi who is also a mohel.

I think it is for most, a religious and traditional decision. It is also the oldest surgery in the world. There are 13,000 year old cave paintings depicting circumcision. So whether or not you are circumcised, you have a lot of company.

Begging to differ and present another view. There is no such thing as a perfect surgery and complications are inevitable. The minor complication rate is estimated at 1-3% while the major complication rate is low but has been estimated at 1 in 500. To suggest that a baby would not feel pain due to circumcision after local freezing wears off is not realistic or consistent with clinical experience in other areas. A 9-fold reduction in the risk of UTIs? In males? If we were trying educate more fully wouldn't we be discussing the absolute risk reduction and the number needed to treat or number needed to harm? And wouldn't we be talking about the generalizability of studies. Children in my neighborhood tend to grow up in North America not in countries that have the challenges of sub-Saharan Africa with it's HIV rates of up to 40% and predominantly heterosexual transmission. The talk given by the pediatric urologist I was referring to in an earlier post was given when I was a fellow at Brown University at the Women's and Infant's Hospital of Rhode Island in Providence. I was so impressed (horrified) by the talk that I asked if I could copy his slides. To this day I still have the slides. Part of his practice was reconstructive surgery of botched circumcisions, needless to say he had very strong feelings on the subject and obviously presented a compelling and convincing argument against routine newborn circumcision.

The references you provided are reasonable and there are others that are supportive of circumcision but there are many others that are not. The AAP Guideline itself states ' [FONT=&quot]Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns, the benefits of circumcision are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns.' This statement seems to suggest that the recommendation is not based on medical grounds. Guidelines from pediatric associations of all other Western countries do not endorse routine circumcision.

Obviously this is a controversial topic. Experts (even in the US) seem to agree though that routine circumcision is not medically warranted and that well informed consent is mandatory. Some feel quite strongly regarding the principle of 'first do no harm' and until there is good evidence of benefit that outweighs the potential harm they will continue to voice concern about the procedure. [/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom