Auto Repair Question - OEM vs non-OEM Parts

schenbew

Recycles dryer sheets
My DD's 2016 Corolla was inspected the other day at the dealer. Technician found a slight leak around the water pump. Dealer quoted a $740 repair to replace the water pump. Car is paid off, low mileage and in great condition, so definitely worth repairing.

Got a second quote for repair at a local Firestone for $620 using a non-OEM water pump.

What say the auto experts here on the value of OEM vs non-OEM parts in this case?

Thanks!

not a lot of difference in price. I would check and see if either one would warranty the part and labor and for how long. I have a prius and do my own work, but use oem fluids and parts when within reason.

For that difference I'd go with the dealer price.

I'm not an expert but I've done a lot of car work/repairs in the past 50+ years. When I was younger and couldn't afford it, I'd buy at a junk yard, recondition or non OEM parts to save a few bucks. Sometimes with good results and sometimes, well, not so much. It depends.... These days I tend to buy new/OEM parts although, if it's a relatively new vehicle, I may still visit a junk yard and pull a used OEM part depending on availability and cost.

The prices you quoted seem like a lot for a water pump and install but I'm a DIY'er so maybe it's not out of line.

Last edited:
Just my preference, but I would find a local mechanic (not a dealer, not a chain) and have him install an OEM part. Water pumps on a corolla are not complex- Repair Pal estimates between $360 and $429

If it were me I would go with a non-OEM water pump. Through the years with off market parts on vehicles and equipment that I have installed I have had no issues and have not had to replace those parts again. Just my 2¢.

I just had a water pump replaced on my ranch pickup. We have a guy here that works out of his truck and does machinic work like that. I paid him 200$ for coming to my home and change the pump on a Sunday. I used a non-OEM pump I bought for 42$.

I would have done the job myself, but the bolts should be torqued to spec, and I didn't have any sealant to apply around the gasket so was well worth the 200$ for me a weekend to get fixed.

Good luck in your decision.

Get the OEM pump from Rock Auto or Amazon, then take it to an independent mechanic. Ask your friends for a recommendation if you need to. Firestone and especially the dealer are to be avoided.

I worked delivering auto parts 1977. Most auto parts are made in the same factory with different labels attached. We were a distributor for Walker mufflers and pipes. Walker also made the same pipes for NAPA, Sears, Kmart, Montgomery Ward....... I remember having to peel those labels off before we sold them.

Often an "non-OEM" item came off the same production line as the branded alternative. I would not worry a bit. I do suggest that you look on the internet for better pricing though. There are often dealerships offering OEM at a discount and there are third parties like Rock Auto that have attractive prices. +1 on using an independent shop.

Surprised they didn't try to upsell you on a timing belt/chain replacement. That's a fairly typical upsell when they replace the water pump. "As long as we have the front part of the engine taken apart you should probably replace your timing belt," said every Honda dealership service area ever.

I realize you have a Toyota and I am not sure how many miles are on your vehicle, or even if your vehicle has a timing belt (instead of a timing chain.)

Agree with the idea of going to a local, independent shop and a non-OEM water pump would be fine to use.

As above you should consider changing the timing belt at the same time. It may save you a great deal of money in the future.

Depending on the mileage, and when you last had the timing belt replaced, I would be surprise if any reputable and knowledgeable service folk would not mention this to you.

I would never consider a Firestone shop for anything.....except perhaps adding air in the tires.

Last edited:
That car will have a timing chain so unlikely to need replacement. I'd get a price from an independent Toyota mechanic. The part cost is about $100 for Toyota part less than half that for after market water pump. See what the independent guy charges to use a Toyota part. If it's not much different than dealer charges, I'd just go with the dealer.

First, make sure it's the water pump that's leaking. First verify it's coolant that's leaking. Usually the Corolla water pumps of this vintage fail due to the bushing failing and causing a rattling sound, not leaking. OP said "technician found a slight leak around the water pump." First, make sure it's not a hose or something else that's causing the leak instead of the water pump itself. Two of the bolts require sealant, so make sure one of the bolts isn't weeping coolant. If it is the pump that failed, always go with OEM parts, especially on Toyota. Get it from an online discount Toyota Parts dealer. Let a good independent mechanic install it. Not a hard job. By all means stay away from Firestone, Goodyear, etc. A friend owns a few auto repair franchises (name withheld for obvious reasons) and stopped drug testing employees years ago since he could hardly get anyone to work there as a mechanic that can pass a drug test.

Last edited:
First, make sure it's the water pump that's leaking. First verify it's coolant that's leaking. Usually the Corolla water pumps of this vintage fail due to the bushing failing and causing a rattling sound, not leaking. OP said "technician found a slight leak around the water pump." First, make sure it's not a hose or something else that's causing the leak instead of the water pump itself. Two of the bolts require sealant, so make sure one of the bolts isn't weeping coolant. If it is the pump that failed, always go with OEM parts, especially on Toyota. Get it from an online discount Toyota Parts dealer. Let a good independent mechanic install it. Not a hard job. By all means stay away from Firestone, Goodyear, etc. A friend owns a few auto repair franchises (name withheld for obvious reasons) and stopped drug testing employees years ago since he could hardly get anyone to work there as a mechanic that can pass a drug test.

The attached photos are from the inspection - second one is of the oil pan where I was told the coolant that leaked had collected and dried. The first is supposed to be of the water pump itself, leaking where the bolt and seal are.

Was told the radiator was about a quart low, confirmation it is leaking and needing to be replaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 13.32.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 13.32.15.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 13.30.56.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 13.30.56.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 19
Appreciate all the replies - very helpful.

We're going to go for an independent repair shop option, skipping the chain stores.

Those pictures don't show where the leak is coming from, but yes that does look like coolant may have gotten on the flange near those bolts and left some residue behind. The leak could be from anywhere. Turn the car on, and take a look under the hood with a flashlight. It might not be the pump.

My DD's 2016 Corolla was inspected the other day at the dealer. Technician found a slight leak around the water pump. Dealer quoted a $740 repair to replace the water pump. Car is paid off, low mileage and in great condition, so definitely worth repairing.

Got a second quote for repair at a local Firestone for $620 using a non-OEM water pump.

What say the auto experts here on the value of OEM vs non-OEM parts in this case?

Thanks!
I would take it to an independent shop.

"Slight leak" may not be a big issue if pump seems solid still. And you likely will get a better price.

Just my preference, but I would find a local mechanic (not a dealer, not a chain) and have him install an OEM part. Water pumps on a corolla are not complex- Repair Pal estimates between $360 and $429

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a quality aftermarket water pump.
You saved me the trouble of checking Repair Pal. In my area they usually have a long list of reputable shops that will honor their quote. It would be really interesting to know the breakdown for parts & labor for these quotes. The pump is $24-$65 plus shipping at Rock Auto.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a quality aftermarket water pump.
You saved me the trouble of checking Repair Pal. In my area they usually have a long list of reputable shops that will honor their quote. It would be really interesting to know the breakdown for parts & labor for these quotes. The pump is $24-$65 plus shipping at Rock Auto.

I agree that water pumps are a low risk part, so a non-oem would probably be OK. To find a mechanic, I check reddit for references in my area, and I avoid shops with significant overhead or advertising. The worst places are "sweat shops", where an order-writer is paid on commission, based on how much business he books, and their mechanics are paid as little as possible and given a tight schedule for each repair. And the shop owner makes all the money. Good mechanics will be busy, so might take some time to get on their schedule. Call a couple and ask for a quote, and how soon they can install it. You can find cheaper parts online (most mechanics add a markup to their parts cost), but if you bring your own part, they might not guarantee the work. A good mechanic will know which parts suppliers are reputable. FWIW.

I'd say determine what type of customer you are for service. Namely, one who prefers the dealer or non dealer.

My opinion is dealer services are over priced so I go the non dealer route.

Only stuff I had done from dealers are recalls.

In my experience, it depends on the part. OEM is almost always better, specifically with Toyota

We do beat our vehicles offroading. My daughter in her 4runner split a boot on a CV axle in Moab. All we could get locally was a Carquest CV axle replacement. It broke the next day. In parallel I had ordered a CV axle rebuild kit and rebuilt the OEM and it worked fine for many years later.

For hoses, etc non OEM are better

But in my opinion, OEM is better for Toyota mechanical parts

You can buy the OEM water pump for a 2016 Corolla online for $113

I would ask Firestone if you buy and provide an OEM part how much they would charge to replace it. I would also look around for other shops that specialize In Toyota and other vehicles and talk to them. I don't take my vehicle to the dealer when it is something I don't want to do. I take it to a local shop who works on Toyotas (and Lexus and BMW)

Last edited:
I do all my own maintenance and usually buy OEM because they're are almost always better quality. I'll use non-OEM sometimes if the part is non-safety critical and it won't be a terrible job to replace it again if the replacement part fails. I also use non-OEM on my son's beater car that doesn't have much life left in it. For my daily drivers, which have been mostly Toyota for the past 20 years, I use OEM parts. I figure if the OEM part lasted 100K+ miles and I get another 100K+ miles out of the replacement then the price premium is inconsequencial.

Back
Top Bottom