Average credit scores by state

I'm thinking that in different states the penalty for writing a bad check must vary.

In one state it may be civil and in another it may be criminal. In a state where it's civil it would take the dealer for ever to get the money if ever. In a state where it's criminal the dealer has the police to help if the check is bad.

I paid with a personal check at a Toyota dealer in Minnesota. No credit check, although I had financed with them before (for my wife's car).
Finance guy gave me the whole speil about financing and extended mantainance plans too. I made it real simple. Told him if he could give me 0% financing I'd sign up. He couldn't so I didn't:)

The dealer simply holds the title transfer and registration paperwork until the check clears.

The dealer simply holds the title transfer and registration paperwork until the check clears.

In NY even if someone bounces a check for the vehicle the dealer must supply the title and registration to the buyer.

Like I said it must be different laws in different states.

Glad I don't own a dealership in NY;)

I can remember people leaving us checks for the registration and sometimes they would bounce. We would still have to send out the reg to the customer. If they were stopped and got a ticket for unregistered we would be liable.

It would cost too much to have a lawyer start a civil suit so the owner just ate it.

We have bought at least 5 new cars with personal checks - in three states and never at the same dealer - we go in knowing what they have and if they meet our price they get a sale. One place was so flustered by cash they let us leave without writing the check . I got to the door and realised I was missing that "I just spent a lot of money yucky feeling " and turned back to ask if they wanted the check.

The last dealer was a bit hesitant to take it - the manager said the # on the check was too low . I then explained it was on our Schwab brokerage account and that we only use it for large purchaes like cars. The checks were the type with copies left in the check book - and I showed him the check copy for the last car we bought . As it was Saturday and he wanted a sale he made an exception to the "policy" .....

Every vehicle I have bought was paid for my using a personal check (except 40-45 years ago when I bought cheap vehicles with cash). The last vehicle I wrote a personal check for $38K. No problem.

If I ever had a salesman who would not take my check, I will go elsewhere to purchase. It would be his loss, not mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom