Background music on the back porch.

sparky08

Recycles dryer sheets
Our back yard is only about 50 feet away from the tee box on a golf course. So, there's always voices/cussing :) and other noise.

I'd like a system that plays low volume background music, but don't know where to start. The porch is covered and we have a couple electrical outlets. The weather is nice enough that we often have the doors to the porch open.

Any suggestions for speakers? I can mount them up on the wall, if necessary.

Should we use one of those internet radios? Or something else?

Source of music. A Spotify subscription:confused: Or something else?

Thanks for any suggestions. If you have a similar setup, what do you like/dislike about it.

You could just put a portable, plug in radio back there and set it to your favorite channel.

Otherwise, I often use the spotify app, same idea for the free version except it has a lot fewer ads than regular radio. Would require an internet radio or a speaker with an input to plug in a wifi capable chromecast device (google stopped making them), you can buy a speaker with it built in.

Lastly a radio device that takes a USB stick and load it up with your favorite songs (or opera) and just let it continually play songs randomly.

We have really enjoyed amazon echo dot's combined with spotify. You would need an internet connection and about $30 for a used echo dot to get started.

-gauss

If you want a low cost option, a portable Bluetooth speaker and cell phone are one option. Something like this Sony rechargeable speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B43Y8GHZ/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAlU3&th=1

61wLLPUu+4L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

There are no-fee options to stream music. Pandora has an ad-based option, and there will also be OTA FM stations.

We have really enjoyed amazon echo dot's combined with spotify. You would need an internet connection and about $30 for a used echo dot to get started.

-gauss

Excellent idea, I've never used the echo dot, so didn't know it would do this.

I always recommend a Wifi solution , because a bluetooth solution ties up a cell phone and dies when the cell phone dies.

I'm going to get an echo dot, as for a small price, I'd like one on the back porch for BBQ'ing (they used to give them away free at times). :flowers:

Excellent idea, I've never used the echo dot, so didn't know it would do this.

I always recommend a Wifi solution , because a bluetooth solution ties up a cell phone and dies when the cell phone dies.

I'm going to get an echo dot, as for a small price, I'd like one on the back porch for BBQ'ing (they used to give them away free at times). :flowers:

It was unexpected game changer for us. We are now up to (5) echo dots throughout the house. With spotify and most other audio services we are able to play the same stream to all devices simultaneously. We can also play "tune-in" (ie radio stations) one one unit while playing spotify on a 2nd unit.

My biggest concern is that Amazon is going to shut all this down since they aren't making money on it with the current business model. Hopefully they would allow it to continue for those willing to have a paid subscription if necessary.

Have fun!

-gauss

p.s. I have 3rd generation echo dots.

I got a Brightmax at costco. Nice little unit, loud enough to drown out other annoyances if I crank it, and has a light.

Thing is, I don't particularly want music on most of the time myself.

I have a sub to Sirius, and I pretty much always use the Spa channel outdoors. I don't want to hear vocals or be stirred by anything rousing when I'm trying to drown out the neighbors kids/dogs/power-tools/80's-music/etc. I just want to chill, and Spa channel is like the background music when you get a massage.

I use an Echo. I have Echo dots too, but the quality of the music, especially bass, is much better with the full sized Echo, which, I think, has 9 speakers inside it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKF5RM3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use the battery base so I can tote it around with me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FGS3PZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have Amazon Music to play my tunes as well.

I have other Alexa devices along with the Echo and Echo dots. Like the Show 5 and Show 15 that is in the kitchen. All I need do is be near any of them and say:
Alexa, play Cat Stevens (Elvis, Jazz, etc.) for me everywhere. and it will play all the devices at once. I can now walk around the house and listen to music no matter where I'm at.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have a Google Home in the kitchen, and my wife uses it to play her favorite stations.

So, I added a Google (Nest) speaker in the porch, and now we can say "Play XYZ on the patio speaker".

I was probably making it harder than I needed to.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have a Google Home in the kitchen, and my wife uses it to play her favorite stations.

So, I added a Google (Nest) speaker in the porch, and now we can say "Play XYZ on the patio speaker".

I was probably making it harder than I needed to.

Tell it to blast those golfers with Metallica and Motorhead when they make too much noise. Or some other tunes of your choice. :D

If you want a low cost option, a portable Bluetooth speaker and cell phone are one option. Something like this Sony rechargeable speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B43Y8GHZ/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAlU3&th=1

61wLLPUu+4L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

There are no-fee options to stream music. Pandora has an ad-based option, and there will also be OTA FM stations.

We use free Pandora-free for our background music. Ads are rare but do happen but are hardly a nuisance. We use a roku for delivery but there are many options.

Last edited:
Not a hardware suggestion but Greatful Dead is good background music that just keeps on going and going with endless jams. They did have something like 160 albums, include all bootleg stuff and who knows how many hours you end up with:)

A little tounge and cheek but I do enjoy them from time to time.

Grateful Dead made good stuff. Way better than muzak for background.
Plus they had fun art work. Cover and otherwise. :cool:

Attachments

• Steal Your Face Logo.jpg
    Steal Your Face Logo.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 10
WE have a SiriusXM subscription on my truck, and I've downloaded the app on my phone, and bought bluetooth antennas for my stereos in my house and garage. So I can bluetooth anything from my phone to my stereos, my deck speakers, my patio speakers or the other 2 cars.

Back
Top Bottom