What would be a good modern day "stereo system"?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So back in the day, we had a "stereo system" with a radio receiver, turn table, tape player, etc and a set of wired speakers. Over the years, got rid of everything and mostly use an iPad with a bluetooth speaker these days.

DW wants something similar to the old capability including a turntable, but with wireless speakers that can be turned on and off in different rooms, decent fidelity but not state of the art. No need for a tape player :LOL:, but CD capability would be nice.

Any directional suggestions?

i would check Don Lindich's sound advice website. he writes a weekly column about all things audio and visual. I believe he had a recent column about your question.

So back in the day, we had a "stereo system" with a radio receiver, turn table, tape player, etc and a set of wired speakers. Over the years, got rid of everything and mostly use an iPad with a bluetooth speaker these days.

DW wants something similar to the old capability including a turntable, but with wireless speakers that can be turned on and off in different rooms, decent fidelity but not state of the art. No need for a tape player :LOL:, but CD capability would be nice.

What's your budget?

I used to have all kinds of receivers/graphic equalizers, tape decks, big speakers, etc. Very cumbersome unless you like fiddling with that kind of stuff. Now I just go with a couple Bose Sound Touch 30's and a subscription to Spotify. You can use a computer wifi or just use your smart phone. Easy as can be. I can listen to just about anything that exists in the digital world. Granted my ears are not quite as discriminating after flying aircraft for 30+ years, but I find the sound quality very nice. If you have a Bose store in your local mall, stop by and take a listen.

You're limiting yourself quite a bit in sound quality by specifying bluetooth speakers. This is just not a market segment that features high quality audio. I suggest that you consider using small bluetooth receivers, which can then drive whatever conventional speakers you choose. Searching Amazon for "bluetooth amplifier" will give you lots of options, mostly $50+/-. I have this one driving my "computer speakers" but have not had reason to test the bluetooth feature: https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...qid=1634861752&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3 As an amplifier it is very satisfactory. It drives a very nice Design Acoustics (older) 3 piece speaker system and a center channel speaker on my desk here.

In speakers I have been a Klipsch guy since well before they became a consumer market company. Their older products (without the copper/silver cones) are not cheap on the used market but are probably the best buy for the dollar. I just bought a pair of KG-4s in black ash, very nice condition, for $280.

As far as quality sound is concerned, any name brand receiver and hardware will be fine. It is always the speakers that are the weak point.

I used to have all kinds of receivers/graphic equalizers, tape decks, big speakers, etc. Very cumbersome unless you like fiddling with that kind of stuff. Now I just go with a couple Bose Sound Touch 30's and a subscription to Spotify. You can use a computer wifi or just use your smart phone. Easy as can be. I can listen to just about anything that exists in the digital world. Granted my ears are not quite as discriminating after flying aircraft for 30+ years, but I find the sound quality very nice. If you have a Bose store in your local mall, stop by and take a listen.

I don't doubt that your hearing has deteriorated! :)

Ooops, I just started an audiophile war, sorry! :hide:

More seriously, I understand, for many people, 'decent' sound is all they are after. Fortunately, if you shop wisely, 'decent' sound can be had for pretty low $.

I haven't looked for this, but I imagine there must be decent wireless speakers that connect a transmitter box to a standard stereo reciever line out, that then goes over-the-air to the speakers (probably all done with Bluetooth these days).

The standard old-school stereo receiver has several "Line IN" "RCA" jacks, which work with CD, tape player, anything with a "Line Level" signal. For a turntable, you either need a receiver with a Phono input, or use a simple cheap phono Pre-amp.

And don't go buy the first turntable you see, many of the new ones with USB and/or Line Out plugs are junk. A decent turntable and cartridge and pre-amp won't cost much, and will sound far better, and treat your records better than some over-hypes modern junk.

You can probably find old receivers super cheap at a thrift store.

edit - cross posted with OldShooter, so check out some of his specific recommendations. FYI, I'm using a pair of Klipsh Heresy speakers bought new in the 80's for my music instrument 'studio'.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I grew up in Nashville, TN, and had close friends that were incredible professional musicians. In the late 1960's, my buddy was using a McIntosh tuner, McIntosh pre-amp, a 50 watt power amplifier and a pair of Thorens turntables with the cherry bases. Speakers were Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers 6' tall with huge exponential midrange speakers.

That was comparable of what the recording studios had at the time. And I've yet to hear any better sound system.

I don't doubt that your hearing has deteriorated! :) Ooops, I just started an audiophile war, sorry! :hide:
Actually our hearing deteriorates just like our eyesight does. No war necessary, it's just a fact of aging. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/high-frequency-hearing-loss) From informal tests I don't seem to be able to hear much above 8 khz.

FYI, I'm using a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers bought new in the 80's for my music instrument 'studio'.
Want to sell? :LOL: We are downsizing speakers; I just sold a set of La Scalas and a set of Fortès and am on the hunt for Heresys.

I would check Don Lindich's sound advice website. He writes a weekly column about all things audio and visual. I believe he had a recent column about your question.
So, this is interesting. He has an article tailored to my question.

DW sees amenable to this device . I assume I could also add a turn table input to this device. Not sure it would require a pre-amp.

Actually our hearing deteriorates just like our eyesight does. No war necessary, it's just a fact of aging. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/high-frequency-hearing-loss) From informal tests I don't seem to be able to hear much above 8 khz.

Want to sell? :LOL: We are downsizing speakers; I just sold a set of La Scalas and a set of Fortès and am on the hunt for Heresys.

Yes, last time I checked I was still able to detect 10kHz~12kHz (this was a quick check with some good headphones,using a good quality USB DAC on the computer). Had to use my DD as a reference, and she could hear up around 16 kHz.

No, I'm keeping the Klipsh. I don't consider them really accurate speakers, but they sound great for my keyboards.

-ERD50

So, this is interesting. He has an article tailored to my question.

DW sees amenable to this device . I assume I could also add a turn table input to this device. Not sure it would require a pre-amp.

I just skimmed, but only saw one analog in ( a 3.5mm jack), so that would be line level, you'd need a Phone Preamp (boosts signal and provides the RIAA filtering to boost bass and cut highs to reverse the process of recording, which is done to limit excursions and boost the highs above the surface noise).

I question a CD player, if you have CDs not available through streaming, rip them in lossless. So much easier than fiddling with loading a CD, they are all at your finger tips and can be searched, and you'll save all that CD player money.

-ERD50

I would suggest going entirely Bluetooth and streaming using :

Devialet phantom reactor speakers (from France. Sold online and at Beat Buy). I only use ONE speaker but the sound is amazing. With two of these for true stereo you can create your own concert hall.

Tidal streaming service- one of the only lossless quality streaming platforms that has just about every song, artist and genre you would ever want to listen to. I love Jazz and their Master recording quality albums and tracks is about the finest quality you will ever hear.

This isn’t a cheap system. The speakers start at $1,200 each and Tidal is $20/ month subscription but if you’re an audiophile it is well worth it.
#BTD

First, I would audition speakers in several high fidelity audio stores. The speakers is the most important part of the system.

I recommend you listen to Vandersteen's line up. I settled on a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's ($3300/pair now) after comparing them to Bowers & Wilkins 801's ($35,000/pair now) at 4X the price back in the '80's.

Have fun! BTD!

Last edited:
Some people may have missed this:

$10 to $1000 or more if warranted.

I'm looking for Camry performance not BMW.

But it looks like the device OP was interested pushes the $1000 mark w/o speakers for multiple rooms.

OP, do you already have speakers for those rooms? I think someone posted an example, but I'm sure there are inexpensive amplifiers with Bluetooth receivers built in, that you could use with existing speakers. Couple that with anything that transmits Bluetooth for your streaming needs.

Then you just need a Pre-Amp & Bluetooth transmitter connected to your Turntable or CD player if you really want (I suggested ripping).

I'm not sure what's all available in the Bluetooth transmitters, but you may not need a 'receiver' at all. I may search a bit later, but I have a (ugggghhhh!) plumbing job to finish... :(

-ERD50

$10 to $1000 or more if warranted.

I'm looking for Camry performance not BMW.

Wow, $10 to $1,000. I'm not sure you can even get Yugo functionality/performance at that price point. Seems like you will either need to up your price point or trim your requirements significantly.

After several years of similar frustration lacking a nice fidelity system within my retirement home, I finally bite the BTD bullet in early 2020 and spent well over $10,000 on a Denon HEOS system, with 8 zones of speakers and ~1,500 ft of 12 AWG speaker throughout the house and patio area. The system is controlled off our phones and runs off almost any source, tho I mostly listen to ripped CDs and my other digital music collection.

I don't always want or need audiophile quality in every location. I would suggest something of a hybrid approach. Set up one room with a nice sound system, probably the room where you watch TV and movies. Install a nice surround sound system there to benefit both listening to music and watching movies.

Then get a portable bluetooth speaker (preferably with onboard memory to store music) that you can take to other locations as desired. Not only does this give you the flexibility to take music with you to other locations, it allows one person to listen/watch on the main sound system, while another person listens to something else on the portable system.

Personally I have a Denon AVR-S750H Receiver in our living room, connected to a 5.1 speaker system. I don't like big boxes sitting around so the main front speakers and rear surround speakers are in-wall speakers, then I have an older JBL subwoofer, and an older Polk Csi 25 center speaker. Sounds good enough to me.

I have a Zidoo network media player that I use for most TV viewing. I also have a Sony blu-ray player for movies or CD's, but can't remember the last time I played a physical disc.

For portable uses I have a Muskey Portable Bluetooth speaker that I have loaded up a microSD card with MP3 files to listen to. I really only use it during power outages.
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-Acoustic-Handsfree-Speakerphone/dp/B071GGM7KJ?th=1

When I'm working in the office I have an old Logitech speaker system connected to my computer, and use the free RadioSure software to stream online radio stations (or occasionally play Mp3 files).

Also, I put our favorite songs on a microSD card and plug it into my car stereo to listen to (though I tend to just listen to the radio in the car).

When I want to sit and listen to music, I put in/on noise canceling earbuds/headphones and relax in my easy chair. Other than that, music is basically background noise and I’m not too concerned of the quality. I have a couple of soundbars in the rooms where I have TV’s and they sound very good to me. One is a Bose and the other is a Samsung (with a wireless sub woofer) and both take Bluetooth so I just stream something from my phone.

Since I upgraded my Prime Music to unlimited (for about $7 per month) a year or so ago, I've found no reason to turn on the old stereo equipment. Amazon recently upgraded the music to HD and they have just about every song or album imaginable. I sometimes request 50-year-old albums by bands I'd never heard of, and the vast majority of those are available. I use Echo speakers paired in stereo, which are fine, although of course you could use any higher-end speakers you choose.
Old setup was a cabinet full of equipment, CDs, and albums, along with 2 floor speakers. New setup is 2 small speakers and my voice to control them.

Is the turntable an absolute necessity?

Will you be hooking the stereo system up to your TV for home theater purposes?

Is it OK if the main speakers were wired to the receiver/amp?

Is the turntable an absolute necessity?
DW wants it, though I'm skeptical she will really use it.

Will you be hooking the stereo system up to your TV for home theater purposes?
Nope.

Is it OK if the main speakers were wired to the receiver/amp?
Preference is to not have wires, especially to adjoining room(s)

Wow, $10 to $1,000. I'm not sure you can even get Yugo functionality/performance at that price point.
We all have our standards. The guy walking to work thinks a Yugo is pretty nice.

Seems like you will either need to up your price point or trim your requirements significantly.
And what are my requirements? All I asked for was something that would give me equivalent functionality to my old rack stereo from 50 years ago, but with modern electronics and connectivity.

You're not going to get it done for under $1,000. Yamaha has their wireless Music Cast system. Denon has their HEOS wireless system.

Wireless and hi fidelity probably don't go together.
But I am bias. If you change your maid and consider wire, look for a good pair of speaker to start with, then get an amplifier that can driver those speakers. I would check out Elac speakers (they hired Andrew Jones to work on the new line up).

I have both Elac bookshelf and floor-stand set - love the sound quality.

I spent like $700 something on a Yamaha RX-1800 years ago. Total overkill, but sounds great, especially with good headphones. Have a "media" PC hooked up to it to play files or Internet stuff.

Back
Top Bottom