Baking soda for teeth

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does anyone use baking soda for teeth? It's supposed to eat away the bacteria which causes cavities. I have been using it for about a week. I just use a pea size amount and put a little water on my tongue along with the baking soda and gargle.

I remember when I was a kid my grandfather used baking soda as toothpaste.

I think that sort of thing mostly disappeared when they came out with fluoride toothpaste. I'll stick with the fluoride, thanks.

When the TSA started its no-liquids policy (before they decided to allow you a Freedom Baggie) I had to fly to Toronto on business and didn't want the bother of checking my bag. I remembered there used to be tooth brushing powder. Sure enough, Whole Foods had it; the one I got was mint- flavored, mostly baking soda. Good stuff.

Baking soda does kill bacteria, and deodorizes your mouth too. I think some toothpaste uses it as an ingredient. And is there anything to prevent fluoride to be added to the paste also?

Baking soda was added to many tooth pastes for years. It was noted on some as a major feature. I still use it every now and then.

Occasionally as a kid we had a pyrex dish with baking soda and a little salt by the sink. Moisten your brush, dip in dish,and brush. A mild abrasive that would brighten your teeth, absorb odors, and effervesce in your mouth, neutralizing some acid. Your choice to swallow or spit; rinsing with cool water is also optional, but I preferred to spit, rinse, and spit again.

As a kid, I got baking soda when the kids' toothpaste ran out and it wasn't grocery shopping day yet. I hated the taste, and thought of it as poor people's toothpaste.

Baking soda has too much sodium; also, I need a "sensitive teeth" product.

Baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) is definitely a whitener but the downside is that it is an abrasive and overuse can result in damage to the enamel of the tooth and increase susceptibility to bacteria and caries. As well, baking soda is not bactericidal so brushing with toothpaste after baking soda or using a bactericidal mouthwash afterward may be advisable.

Besides the abrasiveness of plain baking soda, there is no fluoride to strengthen the teeth.
Once in a while, if you run out of toothpaste is fine for brushing.

As a gargle, the salt content might be an issue if you have high blood pressure.

I use baking soda as a supplement not as a replacement for tooth care. I still floss and brush with fluoride and use mouthwash as well . As far as the salt content, I use just a pea size amount and add water to the baking soda. I monitor my blood pressure every day. I feel a rise in blood pressure with such small amounts of baking soda is minimal. However, if there is a rise in BP I am sure I will notice it.

Last edited:
Topical application of fluoride is really important in cavity prevention and maintaining enamel strength. A pediatric dentist told me some key factors in cavity prevention:

No carbs within half an hour of going to bed. Always brush with fluoride before going to bed. Don't rinse thoroughly so you leave a little fluoride behind.

I use a peroxide/fluoride rinse after brushing. I often use it prebrushing as the peroxide loosens stains and gets rid of plaque and makes the brushing more effective.

Another trick for really clean teeth is to get the toothpaste on the toothbrush before you shower. Take it in with you. Brush while wetting down. Hold toothbrush in mouth while washing hair and body, brushing intermittently. Just the longer time of exposure to the fluoride and the toothpaste does wonders. It saves time too.

Baking soda alkalinizes the mouth and is abrasive, so it cleans the teeth. It doesn't kill bacteria as far as I know.

Read some credible resources and make informed choices. The ADA doesn't recommend regular use of baking soda.

Topical application of fluoride is really important in cavity prevention and maintaining enamel strength. A pediatric dentist told me some key factors in cavity prevention:

No carbs within half an hour of going to bed. Always brush with fluoride before going to bed. Don't rinse thoroughly so you leave a little fluoride behind.

I use a peroxide/fluoride rinse after brushing. I often use it prebrushing as the peroxide loosens stains and gets rid of plaque and makes the brushing more effective.

Another trick for really clean teeth is to get the toothpaste on the toothbrush before you shower. Take it in with you. Brush while wetting down. Hold toothbrush in mouth while washing hair and body, brushing intermittently. Just the longer time of exposure to the fluoride and the toothpaste does wonders. It saves time too.

Baking soda alkalinizes the mouth and is abrasive, so it cleans the teeth. It doesn't kill bacteria as far as I know.

Read some credible resources and make informed choices. The ADA doesn't recommend regular use of baking soda.
That peroxide/Fluoride rinse sounds interesting. Is there a particular brand you use for that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom