Barbecue Grill Tools & Utensils

That Thermapen looks nice, but NINETY bucks for a meat thermometer seems... wow!

Sign up for their email list and they'll send you discounts for discontinued colors, sales, etc. I did that and I ended up with one that is kind of U.S. Army olive drab green, but I didn't care about the color. I think it was $20 off.

According to their site and several users on the board here the advantages are very fast readout and high accuracy in temperature readings. Admittedly a much less expensive thermometer would probably work just as well but I was following the bling.

Sign up for their email list and they'll send you discounts for discontinued colors, sales, etc. I did that and I ended up with one that is kind of U.S. Army olive drab green, but I didn't care about the color. I think it was $20 off.

According to their site and several users on the board here the advantages are very fast readout and high accuracy in temperature readings. Admittedly a much less expensive thermometer would probably work just as well but I was following the bling.

+1 on discounts. I recently bought one for $69. Likely a discontued color. My previous cheapo thermometer took 5-10 seconds to get the temp, not too fun keeping your hand over a hot grill for that long.

I have found myself grilling after dark. I bought a Thermapen and it lights up when it's dark. Sweet. The Thermapop should be fine. I got one for my son.

Years ago I bought a spatula/toothed tong combo from Brookstone. I also have a pair if Ove-Glove barbecue mitts. For fish and some vegetables there are long handled holders that hold the food on both sides so you flip the whole thing. No sticking to the grill or falling in. And a wok with holes. I can grill the vegetables stir fry style but they taste grilled. Last, I've cooked rice on the grill. Add rice and water to a small loaf pan, cover in foil, and cook 15-20 minutes. I like doing the whole meal on grill. And it's 15 steps from the pool.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

....I like doing the whole meal on grill. And it's 15 steps from the pool.😃...

We have an old Coleman griddle from back in the days when we went camping regularly and cooked over a campfire. I frequently use it to cook breakfast.. bacon first, then toast, then eggs or pancakes.... and easy cleanup.

I just use a regular meat thermometer, for things I'm unsure about, it shows the temp in about 5 seconds.

Be sure you do NOT place the BBQ close to your house wall, neighbor did that and now has a new wall and wooden deck, could have had a new house. :eek:

I enjoy watching cooking shows. Many of them use a technique when grilling where you heat up the entire grill (mine is propane and has 4 burners) and then shut off some of the burners so that you have a hot zone with direct heat and a slightly cooler zone without direct heat. I've used this often.

I have a vertical chicken stand kind of like this - Jumbo Non Stick Vertical Chicken Roaster Progressive Brand | eBay and I heat the grill with all 4 burners, then shut off the middle 2 and put the chicken roaster in the middle. I makes your grill into a big oven and the chicken grease doesn't catch on fire.

I'm also a ThermoPop user! Great tool and I got it on sale.

Thanks for your input. It really was helpful for this first timer.
I bought the tongs as recommended, but because of the small additional cost of buying a set, I also have a big fork and spatula. I bought a cleaning brush too.
I really liked the idea of the Thermapen but the cost was too high for me.
When I was buying my utensil set I saw a device that looked like the Thermapen but it said Char-Broil on it and the price was about $19, so I bought that too.

Instant Read Digital BBQ Thermometer | Char-Broil®

I don't know how it compares to the gizmo that you guys recommended so strongly, but it seems to work great for me.

4567720_instant_read_thermometer_a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom