Baseball 2022

I had to look it up- the Yankees have one the WS twice this century.
Astros twice this century
Giants three times this century - just saying.
The New York Yankees won the World Series in 1996. Then they made the playoffs every year from 1997 through 2012. Of those years they went to the American League championship Series nine times. In those years they went to the World Series six times and won it four times, including three years in a row, 1998-2000.

THAT is a dynasty.

(I'm not a Yankees fan.)

Game 6 was a little boring to me until the 6th inning... NO runs... Then when the Phillies scored in the top of the 6th, I thought, well that's all it takes. Then Astros answered with 4 runs in the bottom of the 6th and really won the game with the HR (by Yordan) that drove in two more with him and that clinched the game. To me, that seemed to break the Phillies spirit.

Regardless, both played well most of the series. Honestly, I felt a "little" :) sorry for Altuve. He struggled offensively the entire post season until the last couple of games when he finally started to come around. Defensively he played his usual outstanding in all games.
As a neutral observer, other than the Phillies come back in Game 1 and the combined no-hitter by the Astros in Game 4, this was a fairly unexciting World Series. There were far too many strikeouts. Both teams relied heavily on home runs to score runs. For example, in the six games there may have been a half dozen stolen base attempts and I think I saw two or three hit and run attempts. If I recall correctly this was mostly Houston trying to manufacture runs. Of course it's hard to score runs when you're fanning the air like the Phillies batters did for most of the World Series.

I've got to comment on the idiocy that is Kyle Schwarber attempting a bunt with two strikes in a situation where his team has only four outs left to give or go home losers. WTH was he thinking?

As a neutral observer, other than the Phillies come back in Game 1 and the combined no-hitter by the Astros in Game 4, this was a fairly unexciting World Series. There were far too many strikeouts. Both teams relied heavily on home runs to score runs. For example, in the six games there may have been a half dozen stolen base attempts and I think I saw two or three hit and run attempts. If I recall correctly this was mostly Houston trying to manufacture runs. Of course it's hard to score runs when you're fanning the air like the Phillies batters did for most of the World Series.

I've got to comment on the idiocy that is Kyle Schwarber attempting a bunt with two strikes in a situation where his team has only four outs left to give or go home losers. WTH was he thinking?

I think a key moment of the series was game 5, Phillies has runners on 1st and 3rd, trailing by a run, with 1 out but could not and in today's baseball, didn't even attempt to manufacture a run.

The game with lots of home runs for the Phillies help do them in. After that game seems like they had long swings rest of the series.

I agree about the series not as exciting as in the past. Less strategy involved in today's baseball.

But some things don't change. Great pitching beats great hitting. Also, good defense helps too.

As discussed earlier, here's a guy that has 75 million reasons to be happy the Astros won. Not sure how many folks are getting free furniture because of the win or what he'll make after taxes but I don't think he really cares... I think he does it more for the free advertising and "fun of it" not to mention, giving something back to the community.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb...series-bet-explained/tsk6wxhs3zovdc6gy1z2flir

Last edited:
Most Houston area schools/colleges are closed today and city bus rides are free to the downtown area so local fans can see the Astros WS victory parade. (starts at noon local time) They are estimating a million+ fans will be in the downtown area along the almost 2 mile long parade route.

Last night my DW mentioned something about going to see it in person... :eek: (~2 hour drive each way for us) I pretended like I did hear her and I guess she took that as a "I'd rather not" since she didn't mention it again. :) So we're watching it on TV and having a few beers in the comfort of our living room.:)

What a mob!

Last edited:
Well now. Willson Contreras goes from the Cubs to the Cardinals. My old Chicago friends tell me that’s not a popular move up there. Gee, I wonder why?

Well now. Willson Contreras goes from the Cubs to the Cardinals. My old Chicago friends tell me that’s not a popular move up there. Gee, I wonder why?

Cards had a big hole to fill and Contreras will help them from missing Yadi too much. We still need a couple starting pitchers to be a deep playoff threat. The Cubs need to fill more everyday player roles to contend, but their pitching is pretty decent.

Here’s another one I just noticed: Dexter Fowler hangs it up. I liked him a lot as a Cub (to put it mildly). The writeup is pretty nice reading.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dexter-fowler-retires

He was my favorite player because he played the game right.

Cubs haven't had a true center fielder and lead off hitter since his departure.

Along with his lead off home run in the World Series Game 7, I remember his ground ball that looked like an RBI hit top of 9th but somehow Lindor make a rob. At that point, I thought the Cubs were doomed.

Fun to look back but 2016 was a long long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom