Baseball 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict with 100% certainty that a Texas team will be in the world series this year.

th

Now who do I root for?

Last edited:
Well that was a very close game and I wasn't sure until the final out. :)

Diamondbacks hit 4 HR in the same inning tonight, a new post season record.

Incredibly, one of the HRs was reviewed and called a foul ball, but no problem, as batter Gabriel Moreno hit a HR on the very next pitch.

Well, at least us Dodger fans have a well used battle cry available, if needed. Wait 'til next year!

I don’t see how the D Backs are beating the Dodgers . Braves better win tomorrow.

It might have something to do with the multiple instances of "Betts and Freeman have struck out".

It might have something to do with the multiple instances of "Betts and Freeman have struck out".
^ This ^
D-Backs pitching has totally shut down two of the games best hitters.

I don't see a good outcome for the Twins. The Astros hitters are too good. Starter Joe Ryan will likely be done after an inning or two as Baldelli goes into bullpen mode.

Well, that was predictable.

Baldelli Bullpen Game 101123.jpg

I see that the Braves got bounced by the Phillies. So much for top records and home field.

I enjoyed the Phillies Braves series. We're Mets fans, so it's easy to get into a game where you know the players. No rooting interest either way, just enjoyed the baseball.

Just hit me this morning that a 2022 WS rematch is possible. That would be fun.

I think it's worth mentioning that prior to MLB changing the playoff format, a team had to win 8 games to be World Champions--4 games in the League Championship Series and 4 games in the World Series.

Nowadays a wild card team and the lowest seed divisional winning team needs to win 13 games. A top seeded division winner needs to win 11 games.

I really don't know who those best of out 5 games playoffs favor. There's so much pressure for the "home field advantage" team to go up 2-0. Otherwise back is against the wall.

Five playoff teams had more than 90 regular season wins, all are gone.

IMHO the new playoff rules are a real mistake. We certainly don't need another Wild Card team, and having the best team have to take an extended "break" while the lesser teams play out just puts the better teams at a massive disadvantage, home field advantage or not. If they don't reverse these playoff changes, I doubt you'll be seeing the best record teams meeting each other in the LCS or WS anymore. Or at least, very rarely. I don't think this is going to be good for baseball.

IMHO the new playoff rules are a real mistake. We certainly don't need another Wild Card team, and having the best team have to take an extended "break" while the lesser teams play out just puts the better teams at a massive disadvantage, home field advantage or not. If they don't reverse these playoff changes, I doubt you'll be seeing the best record teams meeting each other in the LCS or WS anymore. Or at least, very rarely. I don't think this is going to be good for baseball.

They need the added TV revenue to pay the huge salaries today. Phillies gave both Harper and Turner around 300 million. Before he blew up his elbow again, Ohtani was expected to get $500 million as a free agent. It’s gotta come from somewhere.

IMHO the new playoff rules are a real mistake. We certainly don't need another Wild Card team

Is there talk of adding another Wild Card team? I haven't heard.

and having the best team have to take an extended "break" while the lesser teams play out just puts the better teams at a massive disadvantage

Why?

They added a 6th team to the playoffs in 2022.

As far as why, when a team is perking along, kicking everyone's butt, and then is forced to take an extended break (longer than the All Star break), it ruins the momentum they've built up. Even at my personal college-level sports experience, an extended break from competition was a momentum changer. You've got the other team that's all hyped up from winning a 3-5 game series going up against a team that's been doing nothing but taking batting practice. It's not a good way to run a playoff series in my opinion. And I suspect that that opinion will be validated over the next few years as the best teams will be eliminated before the Series. We'll see.

I’m not buying the argument that a layoff is a disadvantage. It’s an excuse for losing.

The NFL, NBA, and NHL, give better record teams a layoff. Never has this argument been made. Nor has it yielded consistently surprising results.

I hate the Astros, so I hurts me to say to this. But the layoff didn’t seem to bother them.

A better record team wasn’t THAT much better. A wild card team with 90 wins versus a division champ with 100 wins doesn’t imply a huge imbalance given the length of a season and all the intangibles that influence records over that time.

I would agree that consideration be given to a best of 7 division series. But probably unlikely. Baseball seems hell bent on shortening everything.

Go Rangers!! Especially over the cheating arrogant Astros. Astros are clearly good. But they ugly.

I disagree... the extra days should give them an advantage to get some people healthy.. from what I read the 100+ win teams were hurt..

Also, the teams should not be just sitting around IF it hurts them... they can play games or do other stuff that keeps them at their top form..

IIRC the Astros had the best record last year and won it all.. (someone can look it up)...

Well, I'll agree to disagree. I'll check back in 10 years or so and see how it's worked out.

Just like all the others (NBA, NHL, College Football), the increase in playoff teams undervalues the regular season.

It used to mean that 162 games meant something. The winner of the division moved on.

Heck, now you just have to win 84 games, finish second in your division, and get hot at the right time.

I know it's all about the money, but I liked the pre wild card days of the MLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom