Battery Powered Tools - Which Brand?

I'm almost all into the 20V brushless Dewalts. Only have 3 batteries, but really have never been without enough power. The big surprise for me was they outperformed the corded types.

Especially:
Weed trimmer
Jigsaw
Hedge trimmer (all my old extension cords have repairs from operating errors of the &*&^% corded version)
Hardwood floor stapler
Nail guns (18 and 16 gauge)
Skill saw

Jury still out over the gyroscopic controlled screwdriver.

There are really only two manufacturers who make a fairly complete line of battery powered tools. Milwaukee and DeWalt. The others make the more common tools, but if you do want things like a Pex-A expander, it is coming from one of those two.

When I started using battery operated tools about 20 years ago, I started with Craftsman from Sears but back then battery tech just wasn't so great and I was living in the 12v to 14v area which were not so powerful. Moved to DeWalt briefly for drills but lacked power as it was still 14v.

About 5 years ago, I made the determination to quit being so cheap and invested in Makita cordless tools in the 18v LXT line. These proved to be real tools and my two original 2.0A batteries are still providing long run times at 5 years old next month. I just bought a Makita 1/2 inch impact wrench last week as I was working on the brakes for my 22 year old Silverado and thought I would injure myself trying to loosen the rear brake Caliper Brackets as Chevy loves to use generous amounts of thread locker on them. My air impact gun proved useless on the rear.

Just did the front brakes yesterday and used the new Makita which removed those brackets pretty much effortlessly. What a difference a quality tool makes.

Two years ago I also decided to give up my traditional lawn equipment in favor of EGO branded tools. I now own an EGO lawn mower, edger, string trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer. I had often put off using my corded tools as it was such a hassle to drag out 100 foot power cords. Now I can often complete a job in less time than it previously took just to set up my older tools.

I think this is part of my version of Blow the Dough as I have found that buying quality tools makes the job so much easier in the long run.

And I did forget to mention that both Lowes and Home Depot are having extensive sales right now on most of their cordless tools including Milwaukee, RYOBI, Makita, Kobalt, Craftsman and a few others. Worth checking out.

Milwaukee

I am a DIY homeowner. We bought current 1951 built house in Fall 2014 and I had to do some extensive cosmetic work throughout the house. I decided to go with Milwaukee and have been extremely happy with their 18V line. I have a decent collection of their stuff by now and have no complaints. At Christmas they had a fantastic sale which included some of their high capacity batteries. As others have said there will be many potential sales upcoming including Memorial Day weekend and Father's Day. Their range of products is exceptional. Good luck!

Hard to beat Ryobi for sheer value and breadth of tools. Craftsman is on a similar level in terms of quality. The next level above that are Kobalt and Ridgid...little better, stronger tools. After that you have the "pro" brands: Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee are the big 3 in the U.S. Bosch and Metabo would also be on that list, but typically have less selection locally. Flex is a pro-level brand, but pretty new.
I settled on Dewalt. They have a good selection of tools, are available locally at BOTH Home Depot and Lowes, and they are typically a bit cheaper than Milwaukee or Makita. Each brand will have some winner and loser tools in their line-up. Most pros pick a single brand just because of the battery eco-system...especially when they have a crew of guys they want to keep fed.
As an aside, most of the brands are owned by big tool conglomerates. The exception is Makita...still owned by, um, Makita after all these years.

A couple people talked about the Ryobi batteries losing their charge over time.

Same here. Ryobi is a lighter-duty, homeowner, brand.

If you want to go professional-grade and buy a first class tool, go with Milwaukee, DeWalt or Makita.

I am a semi retired industrial contractor. My tools take a beating everyday. We run DeWalt in 18 and 20 volt. Mostly impact wrenches, drills and grease guns. Have not been disappointed and the abuse they have been through is beyond description. I can't speak to other brands.

There is another issue that happens sometimes. I was traumatized as a child by my father forcing me to work with the cheapest tools he could find.:) They don't work well, don't last, and it's frequently just an exercise in frustration to use them.

So I resolved at an early age (about 14 I think) to only buy the best tools that I could afford. ......I've yet to regret any of those choices.

+1
My parents had such cheap tools, the socket wrench would deform on nuts that were stuck.
The hammer was chrome plated with a black rubber handle and probably weighed 3/4 lb :facepalm:

Makita is a reliable Brand

I like Makita. They make most batteries for other manuf. and have a high quality

Ryobi guy here -- started the collection years ago (when they were blue not green) and have stayed with the brand since because of the battery compatibility. Heavy home owner DYI use for me and very few problems. The 40V brushless blower only lasts about 15 minutes on a charge, but that's my only complaint. I probably have nearly a dozen tools.

If by chance you live near a Direct Tools outlet store, it's a great place to buy Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee -- all owned by the same company.

I live near Ryobi HQ now and we get a very good selection at Direct Tools as well as the various flea markets in the area.

Rigid & Ryobi

I have 2 sets of the Rigid hand tools with drills, impact, angle, cutter, small circular grinder/cutter, both over 8 years old - one at house and one on sailboat - smaller size great for tight spaces, always enough power and LIFETIME battery replacements from HD, provided you always remember to register new/replacement batteries easily online...have Ryobi40v for mower and yard tools??

Thanks. This thread got me to thinking about my tool collection which is microscopic in comparison to people in this thread. I only have 7 cordless tools. May get a few more, based on your comments. I mainly have Stihl. Next time one of the gas powered non-starting creatures needs to be replaced, I will buy cordless.

EGO Lawn Mowers

I love my battery powered hand tools (DeWalt) and have to admit I was pretty late to the party in terms of switching from corded tools to battery powered tools.

But before every jumps on the battery powered lawn mower band wagon and goes head over heels about EGO, let me share my experience. I was one of the first people in our neighborhood to get a battery powered lawn mower.

I bought an EGO battery powered lawn mower at Home Depot on June 30, 2019. I liked it. I didn't love it. But I liked it. I figured out what it could do and could do. It was fine for regular mowing. Don’t try to mow long or wet grass with it though (not a problem for me because I don't ignore my lawn like that.) The initial cuts left a lot to be desired so I bought one of the extra high lift blades. The stock blade the EGO mower comes with isn't very good. Also, an EGO mower isn't my first choice of tool for mowing or vacuuming up leaves in the Fall. But for weekly mowing, the EGO mower was fine and it was great to be able to mow without wearing heavy ear protection. You can't to wear a sun hat when you have big 3M ear protection (the ones that look like headphones) over your ears.

The EGO mower lasted 13-2/3 months, until August 19, 2020. (I know that because I keep a spreadsheet so I can keep track of when I have mowed the lawn.) The 13-2/3 month lifetime included winter when the mower was idle and just being stored. I used the mower 14 times in 2019 and 18 times in 2020 for a total of 32 uses of about an hour each time. On August 19, 2020, the EGO mower would not turn on. I searched online for information and tips but there was very little information available regarding servicing and repairs. When I was first considering a battery powered mower, I had a suspicion it would come to this one day. That is why I bought the mower with one battery instead of two. I wasn't willing to spend the extra $250 to get the second battery.

I called my local Home Depot but our Home Depot does not answer the telephone. I know, other Home Depots do answer the phone and your Home Depot probably does. But mine does not. It is fairly well known around here that (1) our Home Depot does not answer the phone, (2) the store manager can never be reached and (3) the WiFi exists but only has an internet connection half the time. Even the store employees acknowledge #3. Now if I need to call a store, I call Home Depots which are 70-90 miles away.

So I called EGO itself. No answer. I finally decided to read the writing on the wall and I just threw the damn thing away. Trashed it and moved on

About 6 months ago I was speaking with a department manager at our Home Depot about another question and I told him about my crappy EGO experience. He was quick to tell me that Home Depot no longer carried EGO (I guess HD actually dropped EGO several years ago; I was just the last to know.). He said one of the reasons for dropping EGO was the number of customer complaints HD received about poor customer service at EGO.

After I did some reading online about HD's dropping EGO, my impression was that HD dropped EGO less because of customer service issues and more because HD wanted to focus on and promote it's own brand of battery powered lawn mower instead of promoting EGO's line. And for all I know, EGO maybe dropped HD instead of HD dropping EGO. I didn't think to ask the department manager about where a customer was supposed to get service for the battery powered lawn mowers that HD now sells. He did mention a local business that he understood serviced battery powered lawn mowers. But when I checked that business's website (it was an automotive repair business) there was nothing on the website that suggested that they serviced anything other than cars and trucks. I would think that if a business did service battery powered lawn mowers it would mention it on it's website. Otherwise, why bother servicing that type of equipment?

So my word to the wise is before you spend $500 (I am sure the cost is more now) on a battery powered lawn mower, think through your purchase and product selection very carefully. Find out where you are going to be able to get service someday when you need service. Don't pretend that your battery powered lawn mower is never, ever, not ever (tip of the hat to Clark Howard) going to need service. (I'm not talking about just getting the blade sharpened.) Don’t just rely on the word of someone working at Home Depot or some other big box store. The big box store where you bought the equipment isn't going to service anything you might purchase there and many private equipment repair businesses in my area seem to want to avoid working on any equipment that wasn't purchased from them. Most people on this forum would probably know more about the battery powered lawn mower than any sales person at a big box store. Is EGO going to start answering their telephones when you call and possibly help you? How long will it take to get the item repaired and what will you have to do to facilitate the repairs. Are you going to have to box up the mower (did you even save the box?), ship it off to some repair center, and wait 6 months or more for it to be repaired and returned to you? How are you going to mow your lawn in the meantime ("meantime" probably being the rest of the year)?

Buying a fancy and deluxe battery powered flashlight for $30 and finding out after several weeks that it is a piece of crap is one thing. But losing $500 on a battery powered lawn mower is another matter. The older I get and the more lawn mowers I own the more I think the advice of a friend of my wife's is correct. This lady is pretty savvy with cars. She told me she buys the least expensive lawn mower she can find. I'm not sure she cares if it is new or used. Then she runs it until it dies and just starts over with another one. But she has a pretty flat yard. Those of us with some hills or slopes might need a mower with a self-propelled feature.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I think battery powered lawn mowers are the wave of the future. We can debate how far off that future is or whether it is even right now. I am just saying that you need to have your eyes wide open and do some research before you decide to buy a battery powered lawn mower. For all of you who have had a battery powered lawn mower for many years and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever, congratulations! I am extremely jealous. My experience with an EGO mower was the complete opposite of your experience. Every product is going to have its problems at times. Maybe a few of them will be complete lemons. But if the manufacturer won't stand behind their products, I'll spend my money on something else.

It might be the lawn mower line is problematic, but the EGO chain saw has been a life saver for us over the past five years and it is still going strong.

Tranquility B, that is a terrible experience. That would have shot my blood pressure through the roof.

I checked HD's website and for sure they do NOT sell them anymore. But Lowe's does. Any company can have an individual item not work well. The failure is that they had no customer service. Looks like they have a normal customer service portal, now. Looks like you can call or set up an account and request service. I think I will hold off on electric lawn mowers as my gas mower is newish and works great.

If by chance you live near a Direct Tools outlet store, it's a great place to buy Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee -- all owned by the same company.

Thanks, this is useful! They have a location about an hour from me in a place I'm near pretty regularly. I'll stop by with my Ryobi shopping list.

I guess I qm the only Porter Cable user. I bought a tool set over 10 years ago with two batteries. Built my house with them. They are still going strong.
I also bought the same Porter Cable 2 drill/driver 20v set for cheap near 8 years ago. It's the set i keep in motorhome, but have used them quite a bit on my house projects and now on my snowbird place. Batteries still hold great charge. Will sink 4 inch construction screws with ease.

Most of my other stuff is Dewalt 20v. Have B&D 20v trimmer that wife uses.

Last edited:
I love my battery powered hand tools (DeWalt) and have to admit I was pretty late to the party in terms of switching from corded tools to battery powered tools.

But before every jumps on the battery powered lawn mower band wagon and goes head over heels about EGO, let me share my experience. I was one of the first people in our neighborhood to get a battery powered lawn mower.

I bought an EGO battery powered lawn mower at Home Depot on June 30, 2019. I liked it. I didn't love it. But I liked it. I figured out what it could do and could do. It was fine for regular mowing. Don’t try to mow long or wet grass with it though (not a problem for me because I don't ignore my lawn like that.) The initial cuts left a lot to be desired so I bought one of the extra high lift blades. The stock blade the EGO mower comes with isn't very good. Also, an EGO mower isn't my first choice of tool for mowing or vacuuming up leaves in the Fall. But for weekly mowing, the EGO mower was fine and it was great to be able to mow without wearing heavy ear protection. You can't to wear a sun hat when you have big 3M ear protection (the ones that look like headphones) over your ears.

Great sharing, Calibri.

I want to say that consumer grade battery mowers are generally notorious for having poor vacuum and wet performance. I hope improvements continue to get past this.

The mower subject can easily become like the automobile EV subject. There are plusses and minuses to battery and ICE technologies. Sometimes we get blinded by the positives and forget the negatives.

This is the case with my Snapper battery mower (going on 6 years!). There are so many positives, I tend to forget the poor vacuum performance. Basically, it can't suck up a leaf that has any moisture. That sucks!

Been a Ryobi guy forever, but started dipping into Dewalt for the past couple years. Yesterday picked up a hammer drill / multi tool combo with 2 20v batteries & charger for $149 (HD clearance rack)...been looking for a multi tool deal for a while as I've been cording it for years. Time to ditch the cord...

Been a Ryobi guy forever, but started dipping into Dewalt for the past couple years. Yesterday picked up a hammer drill / multi tool combo with 2 20v batteries & charger for $149 (HD clearance rack)...been looking for a multi tool deal for a while as I've been cording it for years. Time to ditch the cord...

My deepest run into the battery ecosystem is Milwaukee, and I'm generally happy. This was mostly because the products were "free" (actually, I have to pay income tax on the value, like winning the lottery). I also liked Milwaukee because my dad was a huge fan.

The problem is Milwaukee 2023 is not the same as Milwaukee 1985. The products are now all made overseas, and there are some duds. They will honor their warranty, but be warned, you have to take it to a shop and pay shipping charges. I had a portable hand saw that was out of kilter and had to pay $25 for warranty service. Still worth it.

I also have a few DeWalts, and if I were paying full price for it, I think I'd lean to DeWalt. I've also had Makita years ago. After experience these brands (Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi, Makita), in the end, I would land on DeWalt.

Leaning to DeWalt's favor: It also helps that there is a local B&D/DeWalt service shop nearby. Milwaukee doesn't have such a thing, as far as I know.

To me, the summary is:

Ryobi: incredible value for the homeowner.
Milwaukee and DeWalt: much more expensive, both have wide range of tools and batteries. Kind of a toss up, but check on warranty service.

Last edited:
To me, the summary is:

Ryobi: incredible value for the homeowner.
Milwaukee and DeWalt: much more expensive, both have wide range of tools and batteries. Kind of a toss up, but check on warranty service.

I think Milwaukee and DeWalt are better than Ryobi, but unless you're a contractor that uses tools for a living (several hours a day) you probably won't notice the difference.

I went with Ryobi because I got a deal on a multi-tool combo unit, plus I already had a Ryobi trimmer so every tool has the same brand of battery and charger. I just bought an impact wrench to add to the collection. It had no problem removing rusted lug nuts from my parents old pickup truck.

You had to pay shipping for your Milwaukee? A year and half ago when we had to get our battery nailer repaired, Milwaukee just gave us a RMA tag and Fed-Ex label and had us drop it off at the nearest Fed-ex store, which was a Safeway. No charge at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom