R.I.P. Portfolio Visualizer (Free)

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big changes afoot at https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/

The UI has been completely changed. I did not recognize it.

It appears to be a paid version now, although it looks like there is a free 14 day trial. After the free trial it is $30 per month for the basic version and $55 a month for the pro version.

It was nice knowing you...

Does anybody have an alternative site (free) that does the same sort of analysis? I'm particularly interested in the Backtest portfolio feature.

Last edited:
It appears the free 14 day trial includes data only going back to 2015 and includes only 15 assets.

I rarely used it when it was free and didn't get much out of it for my purposes. I can't imagine paying anything to use it, but perhaps enough people will to make it worthwhile to the owner to charge now.

Looks like they have added AI to the toolbox, so that could justify the cost. I doubt if many here will want it.

When I tried doing a Monte Carlo simulation I was able to do it and wasnt asked to pay or sign up for anything

Rob Berger did a youtube video on this and suggested using testfol.io, a free (for now?) tool.

See the June issue of Kiplinger Personal Finance. See the article 'Five Great Tools for DIY Investors" Portfolio Visualizer was one. EquityStat is another (equitystat.com). I haven't looked at it but the articles describes similar features.

Portfolio Visualizer has been a great tool but free version always had some limitations. I will explore how difficult is to implement something similar in Google Sheets.

Portfolio Visualizer has been a great tool but free version always had some limitations. I will explore how difficult is to implement something similar in Google Sheets.

Wow, you can do that? If so, that would be awesome.

The Simba backtesting spreadsheet has a wealth of data as at least a partial alternative to portfoliovisualizer. It is fully maintained by bogleheads member, Siamond, with help from others. It contains many of the common and popular index funds. For advanced users, it has a lot of index data in the "raw data" tab. It can't do all of the analysis that PV does (no factor regressions for example) and the returns series are all annual returns and not monthly. But it can do quite a bit.

Start here: Simba's backtesting spreadsheet - Bogleheads

Cheers.

damn..realizing I use Portfolio Visualizer more than I thought. Looks like THE free version for backtesting only goes back to 2015.......does anyone know of any free sites I can backtest a portfolio going back to the 1990s? thx

Back
Top Bottom