Beautiful Day? Oh don't I know it.

lowflyer

Recycles dryer sheets
It's been darn hot and humid here for the past few weeks, but has finally cooled down a bit, so yesterday was great weather. Went over to visit my Mom last evening and as I was walking into her place, her neighbor happened to walk by. He's an older gentleman, probably in his late 70's. I don't really know him, but as he walked by I said hello and commented that it was a beautiful day. He threw up both of his arms, got a big huge smile on his face and let loose with "HA maybe nice for me, but not so nice for you. You gotta work!" Then he walked away. Since I haven't w*rked in several years, I just chuckled to myself and went on my way. Another small reminder of the joys of early retirement.

So true. I love being retired. Every day is a beautiful day when it's mine to enjoy. :D

That's funny! It is nice. I try to remind myself not to take it for granted. Especially when I talk to my friends that are still working and tell them how great it is.>:D

Oh yes, life is good. I've gone to couple of retirement parties lately from my old office (I quit 10 years ago) and it has reminded me how fortunate I am to no longer be tied to a desk. One really nice man, who recently nearly died because of an undiagnosed heart defect, could have retired about the same time I quit. He told me he wonders why he is still working, and then he remembers - airplane, multiple houses, nice cars, etc, etc. And he says he used to be frugal, and his wife more so.
It's those near-death experiences that wake you up. I wouldn't trade places with him. I'm hoping he sells the extra stuff and retires, but it's his decision, of course.

Yes, let's not take retirement for granted. I have several friends, ages 67 to 75, who are still not retired. They say they can't afford to retire. (BTW, most of these men are frugal but self-employed, which probably means that they just haven't made enough money to fund their retirement.)

There is also a fear factor. A lot of people, even people I used to work with who would get generous pension were afraid. Afraid of being bored, losing friends, afraid of not having enough money, just afraid of the unknown.

There is also a fear factor. A lot of people, even people I used to work with who would get generous pension were afraid. Afraid of being bored, losing friends, afraid of not having enough money, just afraid of the unknown.
Well, we all know that feeling. My DW actually came up with the idea of retiring (a little) early, and after I ran the numbers for hours upon hours for several days in a row, and after deciding to pull the trigger, fear vanished. We did the right thing. We haven't looked back.

Back
Top Bottom