Beds: Queen vs. King

Even sleeping without another human, I still need a king. I like to read in bed. I have room for my body pillow and several other pillows, several books, a plate of cookies, a couple of remote controls, my laptop, and my big fat Maine coon. The truth is, I wish they made a king and a half. What would that be? An emperor? A khan? A tsar? This reminds me of olive sizes.

Even sleeping without another human, I still need a king. I like to read in bed. I have room for my body pillow and several other pillows, several books, a plate of cookies, a couple of remote controls, my laptop, and my big fat Maine coon. The truth is, I wish they made a king and a half. What would that be? An emperor? A khan? A tsar? This reminds me of olive sizes.
Every major city has a custom mattress company. Just order a wall to wall mattress for your bedroom.

Has anyone in a hot climate found a "cooling" mattress that makes any noticeable difference? I'm ready to buy a new mattress and am always uncomfortable at night. Electricity rates around here are way too high to turn the central AC way down below 75-77 to chill an entire house for one room all night, every night. Can't install a window AC - no window. :(

Has anyone in a hot climate found a "cooling" mattress that makes any noticeable difference? I'm ready to buy a new mattress and am always uncomfortable at night.

If you have a serious need for a cool sleeping surface, this looks like it might fit the bill. At only 80 watts, it appears to be inexpensive to operate. Disclosure: I know nothing of how effective, reliable or noisy it might be.

ChiliSleep Cube Sleep System

Has anyone in a hot climate found a "cooling" mattress that makes any noticeable difference? I'm ready to buy a new mattress and am always uncomfortable at night. Electricity rates around here are way too high to turn the central AC way down below 75-77 to chill an entire house for one room all night, every night. Can't install a window AC - no window. :(

There are different types of mattress fans that might be of help to you. I have no direct knowledge of how effective they are, but that might be a solution for you. Here's one example: https://bedfans-usa.com/

Yes, there are size differences and these are well documented and findable via my handy search engine.

What I'm hoping to understand is whether it is worth the switch from queen to king? Does it help with the problem of disrupting your partner?

DW doesn't want to change because the bed is so big and would take up room in our modest home bedroom. I want to upgrade to King because I think we are disrupting each other a lot every night.

When we are vacation, we get king bed rooms. I sleep much better. Maybe it is just the mattress firmness. Or maybe the relaxation of vacation. But I think it is the larger size allowing more buffer zone.

You answered your own question in this initial post. Why do you care what other people think, they are not you.
Common sense will tell you more space is less disruptive if the mattress quality is the same.

Friends of our have separate bedrooms. On separate floors. They been married for 30 years so it works for them.

We have a queen but every time we stay in a hotel and get a king we love it. Our next mattress will be a king.

My GF of over 15 years moved in with me a couple years ago. We have been on too many vacations to even try. She thinks I snore, and I think she wakes me up too much to tell me. So, we both have separate bed rooms with king size beds.
We have both enjoyed sleeping alone way too long to change now.

You call it "expensive." :LOL:

We had an independent mattress builder (not name brand) back on the mainland. They would build any size and shape you wanted - but, of course, it COST to do so. Even our King was half again as expensive as a "good" commercially available mattress. It's one of the things I love about going back "home." I know I'll have many good nights of sleep compared to my "home made" king. I've often thought about asking them to build us a "shorty" King and ship it to us. SWAG is that, with shipping, we'd be looking at $4K or maybe even $5K. That's RobbieB BTD territory! YMMV

You answered your own question in this initial post. Why do you care what other people think, they are not you.
Common sense will tell you more space is less disruptive if the mattress quality is the same.

Wow. If we didn't care about anyone else, we'd all just close our mouths, put away our keyboards, and look into ourselves.

I asked because I enjoy hearing different perspectives. I've gained a lot from what has been shared here. Most threads go beyond the initial subject of the post, and that has happened here too. (Platforms, sleep numbers, water beds, latex, foam, etc.)

Last time I was at a bed store, I saw Temperpedic had two mattresses that had different levels of cooling.
One claimed to be 8 degrees cooler, if I recall. Doesn't;t sound like much, but I think that would feel like a big difference. I laid on it fully clothed and with a jacket and I could tell it felt cooler than our regular temperpedic at home.

A king for us, before taking magnesium for my jimmy leg, Ms G would complained a bit, but did I ever complain about her snoring.

Last time I was at a bed store, I saw Temperpedic had two mattresses that had different levels of cooling.
One claimed to be 8 degrees cooler, if I recall. Doesn't;t sound like much, but I think that would feel like a big difference. I laid on it fully clothed and with a jacket and I could tell it felt cooler than our regular temperpedic at home.

Thanks for posting. Will check into this. Kinda dread the whole mattress shopping process...it's been so long since I shopped for one, have no clue what I'll like, not like, etc. so I know I'm in for a world of trial and error.

Go King, you'll never go back.......

VW

Only time that may not be true is if your BR is the size of a walk-in closet. As mentioned above, we ditched the regular King and "built" a short King from two twins. MUCH easier to get around the BR with this arrangement. Each of us is "average" hight, so it works out - for most things. YMMV

We love having a king, especially with a small dog and 4 cats often on the bed with us.

Get the biggest one that doesn't "overfill" the room - :)

Get the biggest one that doesn't "overfill" the room - :)

^This. A King is definitely better but if you don't have the space a queen is totally fine.

My last condo was small and we had a full size bed for two of us. It was fine for us. We could have squished a King in that bedroom but it would have looked like 20 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag.

When we moved into the new townhouse, the master bedroom was large - that full sized bed would have looked ridiculously tiny in that room. We went with a King and enjoy it very much, as do our furbabies.

Back
Top Bottom