Beds: Queen vs. King

YWhat I'm hoping to understand is whether it is worth the switch from queen to king? Does it help with the problem of disrupting your partner?
IMHO, disrupting your partner is greatly influenced by the mattress properties not just the size. When we last bought a new (queen) mattress - we have a platform bed with no box spring - I scoured Consumer Reports to evaluate each mattress for it isolation factor. Their overall mattress ratings are not as important as the specific ratings for items that pertain to your needs. That's how we settled on a Tuft and Needle product. It has a good isolation rating and we were not disappointed.

First 10 years of our marriage we had a queen and were fine. We'd go back to a queen if we were tight for space in the room. (Current bedroom is plenty big - but we'll be downsizing in the next few years so that may change.)

We like the cal king - but DH is a cover hog regardless of bed size. We like queen or cal king because of the length - DH is 6'4". On a regular king, or full size, his feet hang off the end. (Cal King is longer than wide.)

Always been queen beds. King would have been good when kids were young and definitely to give dog more room. If one of us is disrupting the other then we have the option to use another bedroom.

Always queen for the 52 years we've been married. First 30 or so was a waterbed, lost that when our master was upstairs. Sort of miss it, the two Basset hounds loved it. You'd think that it would disturb the other but we quite liked it. Do they even make em anymore? Seemed like every strip mall had a waterbed store in it at one time. Anyway, think we'd get lost in a King. Had them in hotels, and that was the feeling.

For some reason, people seem to equate sleeping together with "sleeping together" (sex). Believe me, a couple can enjoy plenty of sex and cuddling without sharing a bed for the entire night!
Not at all. Maybe unmarried people "equate"...

Always been queen beds. King would have been good when kids were young and definitely to give dog more room. If one of us is disrupting the other then we have the option to use another bedroom.
DW doesn't want to sleep alone, so we'd rather be comfortable. It's that simple unless you can't fit a king size in your bedroom. Not sure why you need extra room in the bedroom, we don't hang out in the bedroom, that's what the rest of the house is for. YMMV

Switched from a queen to a king. good choice.

The first time we slept on a king size bed at dh's sister's house, I said...'we gotta get one of these'. ..and we did. We'd never go back to a smaller bed.

IMHO, disrupting your partner is greatly influenced by the mattress properties not just the size. When we last bought a new (queen) mattress - we have a platform bed with no box spring - I scoured Consumer Reports to evaluate each mattress for it isolation factor. Their overall mattress ratings are not as important as the specific ratings for items that pertain to your needs. That's how we settled on a Tuft and Needle product. It has a good isolation rating and we were not disappointed.
The bed frame rigidity influences it, too. I installed some additional "legs" under the center of our bed and the amount of disturbance was significantly reduced.

We recently switched to a king. It didn't have anything to do with disturbing one another (that's more your mattress). But I have some shoulder issues and like to use a lot of pillows, and we had room for it. I've always been one to toss and turn and move a lot at night, and I prefer it now.

But it means everything will cost more. Your bed/frame, your mattress, your sheets, duvet, etc. - all quite a mark up from a queen.

Great point. I need three pillows for similar orthopedic reasons. It adds extra stuff in the bed and can bridge a connection.

Here is the contrarian view: Get two queen beds.

Sleeping in a bed with another grown human animal is way over-rated. Sleep is too precious.

Friends of our have separate bedrooms. On separate floors. They been married for 30 years so it works for them.

We have a queen but every time we stay in a hotel and get a king we love it. Our next mattress will be a king.

We should probably get two twin beds. DH says I toss and turn and do this crocodile roll and end up stealing the whole blanket...I don't think I would need anything bigger than a twin for just myself as I'm fairly small...

Cal king here also. Room dimensions favored length vs width. Works great! Even with 2 dogs. Cal king does have more limited choices of headboards and such. Kinda "non standard" size wrt to the others.

We’re good with a queen, but our mattress is such that we don’t notice the other getting up during the night. I don’t know if it’s the thick pillow top, or extra coils or whatever. It is a very heavy mattress. Platform bed, no box spring.

Last edited:
Just placed an order for our new mattress. Replacing a king with a king. Took advantage of Presidents Day sale. Old mattress was at least 10 years old, probably more like 15. Still sleeps pretty good but looking forward to the new one. Ended up getting a Saatva Classic. I think someone on this site pointed me in that direction. Good reviews and made in USA. Price seemed mid range, not cheap, but not high end, at about $2K.

When I was married upgrading to a king made sleep much better. Now alone the Maltese and I sleep in a queen.

I much prefer a queen as my wife can't get away from me. ;) Not sure what she would say.

We upgraded to a Cal King when we got a dog. DH complained that the dog was taking up too much room in our queen, and I didn’t want to kick the dog out of our bed, so we got a king. Love it. Our dog doesn’t sleep in our bed anymore but we still like our Cal King.

We've never seen the point of a King. If we do get one at a hotel we end up next to each other anyway.

We've had a queen size through 38 years of marriage. We've never had the issue of disturbing each other in the night. The only issue is sometimes the cats crowd us in and make it hot, but they'd do that no matter how big the bed was.

Gumby, completely agree and the number of years is a key factor. Married 41 years here and have slept in a queen all that time. Why on earth change at this point?! We do enjoy a king where available when on vacation though.

We started with a Full size early in marriage and it was OK for us at a young age. Moved up to queen just to upgrade.

I think the main thing pushing us to a king now is aches and pains. Orthopedic issues that require me to have 3 pillows (head, shoulder/arms, and one between knees). Both of us are side sleepers, and most side sleepers spin at points in the night.

I think the couple who spoons in sleep wouldn't want a king. This sleeping style works for a lot of people, but not everyone, even close couples.

Also, back sleepers who never move may not need the extra space.

Back
Top Bottom