Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2021 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 months! Hmmm........

I didn’t find the language on a AARP CD bonus.

Last edited:
I guess I posted some mis information but I am pretty sure I got the bonus on the NP CD that just matured. Poking around I see they now have a referral bonus of .20% for existing and new customers. I guess it’s time to sign up DW.

https://www.marcus.com/share/GAR-SXP-MEWX

For California folks -

Poppy Bank Money Market APY 1% - guaranteed for six months from date of opening. Minimum daily balance - $10k. Electronic Statements must be activated to avoid $5 paper statement fee.

Offer good only at Los Angeles/Westwood, Menlo Park, Milpitas, Orange County/Costa Mesa, Pleasanton and Roseville locations.

Not available online - account has to be opened at one of the physical locations.

Last edited:
Had an email today from Marcus offering an extra 0.10% on their online savings account if you're an AARP member. It's 0.5% so 0.6% with this deal. I like that so I opened an account just so I can move some cash over there.

https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/aarp-rate-bonus

That sounded like a good deal when I posted it last week, but I'm wondering now. I opened a Marcus account and tried to link it with another bank by having them do the usual two trial deposits. Nothing appeared at the other bank, so I called them, went through half an hour of voicemail hell, then finally got a rep. He went through the entire thing with me to start over. Got their confirming email that they would make the two trial deposits, but it has been another five days now and still nothing at the other bank.

Has anyone else had this problem with them? I always do it this way because I don't like to give my login details out. Never had a problem before with trial deposits.

That sounded like a good deal when I posted it last week, but I'm wondering now. I opened a Marcus account and tried to link it with another bank by having them do the usual two trial deposits. Nothing appeared at the other bank, so I called them, went through half an hour of voicemail hell, then finally got a rep. He went through the entire thing with me to start over. Got their confirming email that they would make the two trial deposits, but it has been another five days now and still nothing at the other bank.

Has anyone else had this problem with them? I always do it this way because I don't like to give my login details out. Never had a problem before with trial deposits.

Thanks for the heads up about the AARP bonus. I added my AARP number and the % immediately went to 0.06. My two trial deposits worked just fine and the $100 bonus posted just past the 60 day mark.

Ditto on the thanks for the link to the AARP interest bump. Sure, it's $10 a year on a $10k balance, but it all counts! I like Marcus - they keep coming up with little bonus encouragements that apply to current members - not all banks do that.

I took advantage of the AARP bonus quite awhile ago. I was with them when they were under GE. I have Marcus links to 3 outside banks. Don’t ever recall having an issue. The outbound xfers are very quick. I’d say hang in there and and maybe try linking to a different bank. I think I only have Marcus linked to one account that I can push funds from.

Marcus is also offering 9 month CD @ .65% available till 5/31

I just established a T-Mobile bank account. At 1.00%, it seems about the best anyone is offering.

Timely posts. I just had Marcus cd's coming due and plowed some of it back into the AARP bonus and some more into the promotional 9 month.

I just established a T-Mobile bank account. At 1.00%, it seems about the best anyone is offering.

This is the first I’ve heard of this one. We have cash at DiscoverBank earning .40% and I’d love to get better interest than that.

Anyone have experience with T-Mobile Money account? Do I need to unfreeze a credit report before applying? I’m always surprised when they do I credit check for opening a bank account.

This is the first I’ve heard of this one. We have cash at DiscoverBank earning .40% and I’d love to get better interest than that.

Anyone have experience with T-Mobile Money account? Do I need to unfreeze a credit report before applying? I’m always surprised when they do I credit check for opening a bank account.

No hard inquiry reported for me. Transfers can be a bit quirky. There's a $3000 limit from within T-Mobile Money but you can push more from an external account into TM. I've pushed $25k from Ally Bank into TM. Also, I was able to add USAA as an external within TM but was unable to add TM as an external account in USAA. Not that big a deal since I can transfer from USAA to Ally.

One other oddity - transfers from Ally to TM are indicate that the funds are going to "Customers Bank." This was a bit confusing at first since I also have a Customer's Bank account.

IMO the hassles are worth it to get 1% on my idle cash.

No hard inquiry reported for me. Transfers can be a bit quirky. There's a $3000 limit from within T-Mobile Money but you can push more from an external account into TM. I've pushed $25k from Ally Bank into TM. Also, I was able to add USAA as an external within TM but was unable to add TM as an external account in USAA. Not that big a deal since I can transfer from USAA to Ally.

One other oddity - transfers from Ally to TM are indicate that the funds are going to "Customers Bank." This was a bit confusing at first since I also have a Customer's Bank account.

IMO the hassles are worth it to get 1% on my idle cash.

Thanks for the info. I checked this out including this positive review by Clark Howard

https://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/banks-banking/t-mobile-money/

Then I signed up! Easy to do and I should get my home bank account connected early next week. I don't have a T Mobile phone so it will be just the 1% for me. But that's 250% of the .40% DiscoverBank is paying. Makes it look like a BIG number!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I checked this out including this positive review by Clark Howard

https://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/banks-banking/t-mobile-money/

Then I signed up! Easy to do and I should get my home bank account connected early next week. I don't have a T Mobile phone so it will be just the 1% for me. But that's 250% of the .40% DiscoverBank is paying. Makes it look like a BIG number!

We have T-Mobile bank too. The extra 4% on the first $3k (T-Mobile customers) is a PITA to be honest, since you have to make 10 debit card transactions in a month, and they all have to post before the end of the month, to keep the rate for the next month.

I do this by stopping at some local gas stations and just pumping in a gallon of gas. And no, you can't re-pump immediately at the same station, since they decline the card (probably a security measure in case the card was stolen).

I prefer using my other credit cards in general. 2% for all purchases on my Citicard, and 5% on gas with my SAM's card, so the debit card is a hassle for the extra interest rate. Not sure how long I'll bother with the gas station Tom Foolery.

Other than that, so far I don't have a problem with them. Setting up my external bank went smoothly, though I haven't tried to transfer money out yet. I should test that myself.

Happy to report that my GTE Financial add-on CD is still accepting deposits. As my other CD's mature I've been transferring them over. Nice to be still able to get 3.04% in this environment and it does not mature until August 2024.

We added a couple beneficiaries to give our NCUA insurance some breathing room back in January and added more to GTE. They are quite nice about taking additional deposits to the addon 3% CD these days, unlike when they started getting mobbed back around the end of last year.

Happy to report that my GTE Financial add-on CD is still accepting deposits. As my other CD's mature I've been transferring them over. Nice to be still able to get 3.04% in this environment and it does not mature until August 2024.

We are at our NCUA limits for our 2 GTE accounts. Wish we opened more of them.

About the T-Mobile Money account....

I opened the account a few days ago and today the test transactions were at my home bank so I was able to verify the connection with T-Mobile. I'm ready to transfer some money from that bank and T-Mobile says I have to wait for the debit card to arrive and activate it before I can do the transfer.

How long did it take before you got the debit card? I don't need the debit card, I plan on parking money at T-Mobile like a savings account. They seem to think I have to have one.

I prefer using my other credit cards in general. 2% for all purchases on my Citicard, and 5% on gas with my SAM's card, so the debit card is a hassle for the extra interest rate. Not sure how long I'll bother with the gas station Tom Foolery.

I am finding I 'earn' more money via my cash rewards cards these days than my bank savings accounts and CD's. :(;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom