Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2021 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcus sent me email saying I get a .2% bonus for THREE MONTHS (yawn) from their referral promo. Only thing is I didn’t refer anyone. Anybody else get this? I’m getting the AARP bonus as well so my current rate is 0.8% for 3 months. You could refer a max of 5 friends and family. Too much work.

Well, here's what I've done. I've opened up two accounts for a $500 and $600 bonus:

Huntington 25 Checking:

• Receive a $500 sign up bonus when you make at least $15,000 in total deposits within 60 days. I deposited $25,000 to avoid the monthly account maintenance fee.

BT&T Checking and Savings:

• Step 1: Open a checking account and complete qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500 within 90 days of account opening. Also to avoid the maintenance fee on the account I'll maintain a monthly balance of $1,500. To guarantee the deposits are "clean", I'm going to route some of my paycheck from my employer to this account.
  • Step 2: Open any new BB&T savings or MMA account deposit a rang of balances within 30 days and maintain for 90 days after account opening. I opened the free eChecking account and am in the process of depositing $25,000. This correlates to the bonus range of $25,000–$49,999.99 and brings a $600 bonus after maintaining in the account 90 days....along with completing Step 1, of course.
  • SPECIAL NOTES: Have to open the two accounts on the same day and use Promotion code BCNGJ when opening the accounts.
  • SPECIAL NOTES: If you want to try this, and you don't have an address in one of the qualifying states, their sister company SunTrust has the same promotion running in other states.

Lastly, to be forward thinking, beyond 90-ish days, in a couple weeks I'll open up a HMBradley account and start adding some deposits to work towards the 3% savings rate. If no other good (low effort, high value) bonuses arise I'll park some money there for a while. Small deposits in Q1 to move from 1% savings rate to 3% savings rate. Then a Big deposit in Q2, such that even if I pull out up to 80% of the deposited amount I'll stay in the 3% savings rate tier through Q3.

Just got my bonuses for the Huntington and BT&T promotions. Have already moved the money back to Ally and closed the Huntington account. Will close the BT&T account shortly. Now need to figure out what to do next…

I decided to abandoned the HMBradley idea. I opened the account and they had no way to put beneficiaries on an account. It was something they were “working on”. Seemed like they are still getting their feet under them. It is a Fintech company after all.

So, for now things sit in Ally. Would appreciate any suggestions! Worst case I open the 1% T-Mobile account I guess.

I did the citibank checking and savings for $700 x 2. A set of accounts for DH and a set for myself. $100k(50k each), but you really have to plan on 5 months as the bonus doesn't payout until 60 days after the 90 and there are maintenance fees if you don't maintain enough of a balance. I'm not sure the deal is still active, but if it is, be really careful to follow the instructions to the letter.

Last edited:
I did the citibank checking and savings for $700 x 2. A set of accounts for DH and a set for myself. $100k(50k each), but you really have to plan on 5 months as the bonus doesn't payout until 60 days after the 90 and there are maintenance fees if you don't maintain enough of a balance. I'm not sure the deal is still active, but if it is, be really careful to follow the instructions to the letter.

That was the one I did towards the end of last year and it worked out great!

About the T-Mobile Money account....

I opened the account a few days ago and today the test transactions were at my home bank so I was able to verify the connection with T-Mobile. I'm ready to transfer some money from that bank and T-Mobile says I have to wait for the debit card to arrive and activate it before I can do the transfer.

How long did it take before you got the debit card? I don't need the debit card, I plan on parking money at T-Mobile like a savings account. They seem to think I have to have one.

Nevermind, the debit card arrived today. I verified it and initiated a transfer. While I was waiting for the debit card to come I set up transferring from DiscoverBank to T-Mobile and initiated one of those yesterday 5/21/21. So I'll get to compare if "pulling" or "pushing" is faster.

All this excitement over 1% interest!

Dominion Energy

I completed the process of starting an account at Dominion Energy (1.5% for balances over $50,000). As referenced earlier in the thread, this money is not FDIC insured.

Signup was a bit cumbersome (snail mail application) and took about a week before I knew that they had my application (external account linked) and almost another week before I received their packet to set up the online access. Should be easier to move money in and out from this point forward.

Marcus sent me email saying I get a .2% bonus for THREE MONTHS (yawn) from their referral promo. Only thing is I didn’t refer anyone. Anybody else get this? I’m getting the AARP bonus as well so my current rate is 0.8% for 3 months. You could refer a max of 5 friends and family. Too much work.

I sent you a PM earlier this month.

Used your link from earlier post on this thread.

Your welcome.

Last edited:
I sent you a PM earlier this month.

Used your link from earlier post on this thread.

Your welcome.

WOW! Thanks. I had no idea a link in the forum could qualify for a bonus and definitely not why I posted. There’s no end to the value I get from participating here. In the meantime I am still procrastinating on opening an account for DW.

AGAIN, Thanks TN Jim.

I put some cash into Toyota IncomeDriver notes (not FDIC insured) paying 1.5% based on this thread. Just noticed they lowered the rate to 1.35% on May 11. It’s a better rate than a saving account but GM and Dominion Energy demand notes are still paying 1.5%.

I spent some time (a few years) playing the "chase the interest rate" game, as well as the "bonus for opening a new account" game, which was actually the more lucrative one. But seriously, chasing .01%, or even .05% isn't worth my time and effort. The total dollar amounts are tiny. I can do nearly as well by buying the cheapest gas throughout the year. Or cutting back on eating out or shopping the grocery store sales or something.

I'll still pick the best CD rate when one comes due, but other than that I'm admitting defeat in the Fed's war on savers. I'm sure that inflation will raise rates in the future, and I'll wake up and pay attention. But until then, I'm outta here (just this thread). It's just too depressing.

. It’s a better rate than a saving account but GM and Dominion Energy demand notes are still paying 1.5%.

Probably not for long. I think you just put the jinx on ‘em. I’d expect Dominion to be the most stable.

I spent some time (a few years) playing the "chase the interest rate" game, as well as the "bonus for opening a new account" game, which was actually the more lucrative one. But seriously, chasing .01%, or even .05% isn't worth my time and effort. The total dollar amounts are tiny. I can do nearly as well by buying the cheapest gas throughout the year. Or cutting back on eating out or shopping the grocery store sales or something.

I'll still pick the best CD rate when one comes due, but other than that I'm admitting defeat in the Fed's war on savers. I'm sure that inflation will raise rates in the future, and I'll wake up and pay attention. But until then, I'm outta here (just this thread). It's just too depressing.

+1

I can make more money spending 30 minutes a month updating the wise choice of cash-back credit cards than fussing around trying to find 0.02 more percent on my formerly 2%+ CD's.

I must admit I am rather amazed that this supposedly omnipotent and vocal voting block called 'seniors' has accepted these truly awful interest rates for many years.

Chuckanut said:
I can make more money spending 30 minutes a month updating the wise choice of cash-back credit cards than fussing around trying to find 0.02 more percent on my formerly 2%+ CD's.

I suppose it depends how much cash you’re sitting on versus annual spending. In my case I have far more cash than usual so an extra 0.5-1% is helpful.

Last edited:
+.

I must admit I am rather amazed that this supposedly omnipotent and vocal voting block called 'seniors' has accepted these truly awful interest rates for many years.

I don’t get this. What choice do we have? The banks don’t need deposits. They don’t want our money. Since the reserve requirements were relaxed to zero, they can create money for loans out of thin air.

I opened several accounts just to get the bonus. I can’t believe the banks run these promos. It’s a hassle to keep up with the details required to get and keep the bonus.
I have started to nibble around the MYGA option. So far so good.

+1

Yeah, I am currently monitoring maximizing my credit rewards more so than hunting for savings rate differentials.

Early last month Synchrony Bank had dropped the rate on their high yield savings account to 0.4%.

Well recently on 5/27 they reversed and raised it back to 0.5% it had been before.

Just did the Chase new checking account for a $225 bonus, with direct deposit. We had actually been looking for another bank as we have had Wells Fargo (including all the banks that got bought out to eventually be them) for many many years, and after the recent refi with them, they really pissed me off. It all worked out in the end, but not because of their CS, ut me doggedly staying on top of them. Chase has a better international presence and finally enough branches in Richmond, so we’re giving them a shot.

My terms for same offer (end date of 4/1/21) state maintain minimum account balance for 60 days and then payout is within 90 days after that.

Just noticed that eligibility of customer can be denied if W9 is not on file with CITI. There is always something with Citi, now have 2 online meeting requests for 2 seperate maximum bonus ($1500) to discuss this W9 requirement and verify account bonus code is attached to both accounts (if not they do not pay)

My terms for same offer (end date of 4/1/21) state maintain minimum account balance for 60 days and then payout is within 90 days after that.

Just noticed that eligibility of customer can be denied if W9 is not on file with CITI. There is always something with Citi, now have 2 online meeting requests for 2 seperate maximum bonus ($1500) to discuss this W9 requirement and verify account bonus code is attached to both accounts (if not they do not pay)
RHON; Thanks for this update. I have confirmed that the bonus is attached to both sets of accounts, but this is the first I've heard about a W-9 requirement. I'm assuming that I have provided them with our TID's as part of their initial paperwork, although not a form W-9 specifically. Please update me when you've nailed that detail down, if you don't mind.

Berglust, who frequents this thread, just completed this deal and has received the bonus and closed the accounts. Perhaps he/she could chime in on this wrinkle?

Last edited:
Try this link:
https://banking.citi.com/cbol/citig...1&ProspectID=6977DC05DD354393826AB440C68AD3CF

New offer for 4/2/21-6/30/21.

The scary part is that an eligibility disclosure is in small print just under the button/link that gets you to the link I enclosed.
In detail you can see the ELIGIBILITY paragraph on pg 1 of terms/conditions.

We have gone through many CITI reps and will try 2 more on Monday.
Please message us as well if there is an easy way in this offer.

Try this link:
https://banking.citi.com/cbol/citig...1&ProspectID=6977DC05DD354393826AB440C68AD3CF

New offer for 4/2/21-6/30/21.

The scary part is that an eligibility disclosure is in small print just under the button/link that gets you to the link I enclosed.
In detail you can see the ELIGIBILITY paragraph on pg 1 of terms/conditions.

We have gone through many CITI reps and will try 2 more on Monday.
Please message us as well if there is an easy way in this offer.

We've just completed and received the cash from a Citi bonus offer this past week. They are reliable, however you must follow all of the terms, keep appropriate minimum balances, and understand they will credit the bonus some period of time after you've met the time requirement(s). In our case, this was 60 days after completion (of a 90 day maintenance period). For yours, it indicates 90 days after the balance requirement is met for the package you sign up for.

We've also done another Citi bonus offer a year or two ago. Their eligibility disclosures always look the same as the small print you reference.

For your offer, it appears the only eligibility requirement is that you haven't had a Citi account in the past 6 months. However, you must follow the steps indicated in order in the "Eligible Customers must:" section.

I would not deal with the Citi reps by calling. Simply print out the offer page, save it, and refer back to it later if they do not give you the bonus 90 days after you meet the balance requirement. Again, be sure that you follow the steps in order as they've shown them. If at any time you have questions, simply use the Chat feature within your online account - the folks there can look up any information you need, verify the account is properly associated with the bonus offer and answer any questions you have regarding the bonus offer. So, you could apply, open the account, then go to Chat within the account and ask your questions before even transferring any money in. I use the Chat after the bonus is paid, I empty the account, and tell them to close it. They take care of it and confirm immediately.

From the looks of it, the $300 bonus for $15,000 gets the best bang for the buck. Though having to open two accounts to do it is more work. For the one we just completed, it was $200 for $5000 for a single basic checking account.

Last edited:
We've just completed and received the cash from a Citi bonus offer this past week. They are reliable, however you must follow all of the terms, keep appropriate minimum balances, and understand they will credit the bonus some period of time after you've met the time requirement(s). In our case, this was 60 days after completion (of a 90 day maintenance period). For yours, it indicates 90 days after the balance requirement is met for the package you sign up for.

We've also done another Citi bonus offer a year or two ago. Their eligibility disclosures always look the same as the small print you reference.

For your offer, it appears the only eligibility requirement is that you haven't had a Citi account in the past 6 months. However, you must follow the steps indicated in order in the "Eligible Customers must:" section.

I would not deal with the Citi reps by calling. Simply print out the offer page, save it, and refer back to it later if they do not give you the bonus 90 days after you meet the balance requirement. Again, be sure that you follow the steps in order as they've shown them. If at any time you have questions, simply use the Chat feature within your online account - the folks there can look up any information you need, verify the account is properly associated with the bonus offer and answer any questions you have regarding the bonus offer. So, you could apply, open the account, then go to Chat within the account and ask your questions before even transferring any money in. I use the Chat after the bonus is paid, I empty the account, and tell them to close it. They take care of it and confirm immediately.

From the looks of it, the $300 bonus for $15,000 gets the best bang for the buck. Though having to open two accounts to do it is more work. For the one we just completed, it was $200 for $5000 for a single basic checking account.

edit - Confirmed that all is good. Please ignore

Last edited:

Rhon; I just did a live chat and they have confirmed that I have qualified and will receive the bonus by 7/26. They also verified that they have my TID. So you can do this all on line and then save the chat.

Last edited:
RHON; Thanks for this update. I have confirmed that the bonus is attached to both sets of accounts, but this is the first I've heard about a W-9 requirement. I'm assuming that I have provided them with our TID's as part of their initial paperwork, although not a form W-9 specifically. Please update me when you've nailed that detail down, if you don't mind.

Berglust, who frequents this thread, just completed this deal and has received the bonus and closed the accounts. Perhaps he/she could chime in on this wrinkle?

These terms were in my offer as well: "To be eligible for the bonus, U.S. persons must furnish Citibank with a valid IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).
Foreign individuals must furnish a valid IRS Form W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals))"

I never got a form from Citi, so I chatted with them on the website. They gave me the address to send the completed form to. I filled out the form and mailed it to them (via registered mail). Then, later confirmed via chat they received and processed the form. On the W9, the "Requester's Name and Address you need to enter is:
Citigroup Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 6201
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-6201

As a tip I keep a PDF copy of all of my offer details and my chat history with these companies...so there is not loose ends of if somebody did/didn't do something, received something, or said something. I've never had a problem, but always good to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom