Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2022 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that you are missing is the convenience of not having to transfer accounts or money around to grab the best deal... been there, done that. It was worthwhile but also a hassle, especially for IRAs.

I have a chunk of money is IRA CDs at around 1 % each, at a credit union that is only offering 3.55% (but could go up!) and I am probably going to break them all, but leave then all there, at 3.55 % since transferring them to a higher yielding institution scares me so much. Some folks have mentioned horror stories transferring IRA's (just massive headaches) some have said they had no such problems.

Some folks have mentioned horror stories transferring IRA's (just massive headaches) some have said they had no such problems.
I've done trustee to trustee xfers plenty of times... The only problem I've had is the time is takes... Some were done in a few days but most have taken a week or more... One took almost a month but they all got there.

Most were done by snail mail and when it takes weeks, you will start wondering where your money is.

Last edited:
I have a chunk of money is IRA CDs at around 1 % each, at a credit union that is only offering 3.55% (but could go up!) and I am probably going to break them all, but leave then all there, at 3.55 % since transferring them to a higher yielding institution scares me so much. Some folks have mentioned horror stories transferring IRA's (just massive headaches) some have said they had no such problems.

I am one of those IRA/IRS horror stories BUT I would have no problem transferring an IRA to a place like Fidelity. The key is do not let the transfer check come anywhere near your paws. Fidelity pulled the funds directly from the credit union without me even having to talk to the CU. Just point Fido at the CU and turn them loose.
Now I guess the real acid test will be "do I get a nastygram from the IRS in the next 3ish years"... but since it was all handled by Fido and I never saw a check, I'm OK with it.

I had a 33 mo 3.25% CD at Navy that I opened in May. Contacted them yesterday and they allowed me to close that CD without penalty and move the funds to a 36 mo 4.05% CD.

Thanks for this - I had contacted Navy a month or so ago and closing a 3% CD maturing 10/24 was going the cost a 1 year interest penalty. So I didn't. Closed our GTE CD at a cost of 6 months interest instead.

Per your post I contacted Navy today and they will allow us to close the CD with 23 months left to run with no penalty if we roll it into a 5 year CD earning 4.1%. Might just do that. OTOH, I opened an add-on CD at Navy 4 months ago and felt like a bandit because it would earn 3.3%. Now that rate is kinda meh - I'll think on it. Do I want to lock up funds for 5 years at this rate or is the rate going up even more?

One thing that you are missing is the convenience of not having to transfer accounts or money around to grab the best deal... been there, done that. It was worthwhile but also a hassle, especially for IRAs.

I'm not seeing anything for 3-year bank CDs at 4.5% around here. PenFed is currently offering 18 month or 2 year at 4.35%.

My local CU is offering either a 15 month or a 59 month CD at 4.35%. The 59 month is enticing.

Have a 2 year CD at Penfed for .45% coming due in late January 2023. Asked if we could roll it over two months early into a new 2 yr CD at their advertised 4.25% rate without a penalty. Nope. They wanted to enforce the penalty. We'll be moving the funds in January

The penalty is what... 6 months at 0.45% or 0.225%? If so, move it elsewhere now... you'll make it up in less than a month.... 4.25%/12 = .35%

I saw a 5% 5 year non callable CD on Vanguard on Friday. A rare sight! By Sat morning it was gone. Should have scored some.

Thanks for this - I had contacted Navy a month or so ago and closing a 3% CD maturing 10/24 was going the cost a 1 year interest penalty. So I didn't. Closed our GTE CD at a cost of 6 months interest instead.

Per your post I contacted Navy today and they will allow us to close the CD with 23 months left to run with no penalty if we roll it into a 5 year CD earning 4.1%. Might just do that. OTOH, I opened an add-on CD at Navy 4 months ago and felt like a bandit because it would earn 3.3%. Now that rate is kinda meh - I'll think on it. Do I want to lock up funds for 5 years at this rate or is the rate going up even more?

You're Welcome....
I notice that Navy Fed now has CD's yielding 4.25% on 3 month to 7 year terms. I have some money parked there, I'm going to call them today to verify the details on these. There's a brick & mortar Navy Fed shop nearby if I want to wave at my money as I ride into town.

Navy Fed has treated us very well over the years.

https://www.navyfederal.org/checking...tificates.html

Again, IMO even if Jay Powell raises rates .5 or .75% this week, it will positively affect shorter term (<2yr rates), it's what he says about future rates hikes that will affect longer term (>3 yr rates). If he even remotely "suggests" the end to rate hikes is coming in a ~year, I suspect the inverted yield curve will remain for at least another year and may get worse. YMMV
:horse:

Last edited:
I saw a 5% 5 year non callable CD on Vanguard on Friday. A rare sight! By Sat morning it was gone. Should have scored some.

I wish I had known about that. I definitely will buy some if I see that kind of deal pop on Vanguard. The good CD deals don't last very long.

State Bank of Texas is advertising 5% on a 12 mo, $25K CD. That is still up as of 4:38AM Pacific 12/12/22.

Nice. Hopefully we'll see more like it. The best I've gotten was 4.95% for 3 years.

The 5.0 % 5 year just popped up again at Vanguard BUT now it is callable. Still tempting. But I'm not biting yet. Waiting for a non callable.

I don't have 24/7 hour access to the Vanguard website, but I do have access to ER.org almost all the time, so I look here to find the Vanguard deals often.

Andrews FCU has a 'bump-up' CD that starts at 4.15 % 4 year term. I took a modest position in it.

Andrews FCU has a 'bump-up' CD that starts at 4.15 % 4 year term. I took a modest position in it.

Yeah, these standard share certificates have been looking interesting. 2 , 3 and 4 years offered and you have the option of requesting a rate raise every 6 months to match the Fixed Rate share certificates currently offered.

Raise Your Rate Share Certificate*

Before you open a new Share Certificate account, you must transfer your new money to a Andrews Federal checking or savings account. Learn more about important information for new members, existing members, and transfer options.

TermMinimum to OpenDividend RateAnnual Percentage Yield (APY)
24 - month$1,0003.990%4.05%
36 - Month$1,0004.038%4.10%
48 - Month$1,0004.087%4.15%

*APY = Annual Percentage Yield. Rates effective as of December 12, 2022. Raise Your Rate Share Certificate offers up to a maximum of three (3) opportunities to request the Credit Union to “raise your rate” to the rate currently being offered on our Fixed Rate Share Certificate of the same term as published on our website (certificate specials are excluded). Your Raise Your Rate share certificate must be opened for a minimum of six (6) months before you may request your first rate raise. Once raised, your dividend rate and annual percentage yield will reflect the new rate until such time as you are eligible for, and request, another rate raise. You will have an opportunity to request up to a maximum of three (3) rate raises over the term of your share certificate, as long as six (6) months have passed since your last rate raise. If you do not exercise your rate raise option(s) during the term of the certificate, you forfeit your rate raise option(s). The certificate must be opened with a minimum $1000 deposit; must maintain a minimum $1000 balance to earn the advertised APY. Dividends are compounded and credited quarterly. Penalties apply for early withdrawal. Fees may reduce earnings on the account. Offered rates are subject to change at any time. Deposits are insured up to at least $250,000.00 per individual depositor by NCUA. Visit mycreditunion.gov for more information on share insurance coverage.

https://www.andrewsfcu.org/Learn/Resources/Rates/Share-Certificate-Rates

Last edited:
The 5.0 % 5 year just popped up again at Vanguard BUT now it is callable. Still tempting. But I'm not biting yet. Waiting for a non callable.

I don't have 24/7 hour access to the Vanguard website, but I do have access to ER.org almost all the time, so I look here to find the Vanguard deals often.

Well, at least you’re not still holding out for Penfed to offer this deal. Good on you for being flexible! That is one plus for credit union CDs. At least they are all non callable AFAIK.

I'm beginning to think that the 5-year, 5% uncallable CD has sailed; we missed the boat.

^^^^
I think when Powell speaks this week, it will help answer that question. Still I would not be surprised to see 5+% for shorter term (1 and 2 yr) CD's but maybe not longer term.

Last edited:
I’m trying to move money from Vanguard to Utah First FCU to take advantage of their 5% 22 month CD but the Vanguard website says because I just added Utah First as a bank account I have to wait 7-10 days before I can transfer money to them. By then the promotion may be over. Does anyone know a way around this?

^^^
Call Utah First FCU and ask if they'll work with you "somehow"...

^^^
Call Utah First FCU and ask if they'll work with you "somehow"...

I did that two weeks ago with pelican state cu and they held the rate for me as long as I had already opened an account. while I was signing up for an account it dropped 30 basis points but they said as long as I was applying for the cd's originally they would hold that price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom