Best Cell phone plans

Quite happy with Mint in our house. Service was awesome and the reps are in California, not some other country. Pricing is excellent and it uses T-Mobile's network.

I also have Republic, and I'm looking to leave them soon.

We're paying $70 otd for 2 lines unlimited voice text data from T Mobile. Unlocked phones. I guess I will need to look into cheaper plans since I won't be using it for w*rk anymore.

We switched to Mint Mobile almost 3 months ago. Two lines, 10GB data, $105 all in every three months for everything. We’ve had no noticeable differences in cell service but I’m told it will be better(?) when we finally upgrade to 5G iPhones. Because we both do a great job connecting to public WiFi wherever we go our actual data usage is barely over 3GB/phone/month. So I’ve just changed to the 4GB plan and our cost dropped $25/3-months.

Other notes:

1. This is a pre-pay plan. Pay in advance for at least 3 months. If you prepay a whole year the cost drops a little more.

2. Your phone needs to be unlocked. If your phones came through your current plan you’ll have to check if they’re locked and if you’re current carrier will unlock them.

3. You’ll be on your own to source and set up phones. I prefer it that way as it’s far less complicated, less cost and more transparent.

Good luck!

Consumer Reports has 3 top "green" cell phone companies:
1. Ting
2. Consumer Cellular
3. Mint Mobile

Surprisingly, 2 of the bottom 3 companies are Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

Green is based on green, yellow, or red results and >=90 score.

Last edited:
Quite happy with Mint in our house. Service was awesome and the reps are in California, not some other country. Pricing is excellent and it uses T-Mobile's network.

I also have Republic, and I'm looking to leave them soon.
+1 on Mint. Very happy and only $15 + tax for 4 GB data prepaid for 1 year.

Consumer Reports has 3 top "green" cell phone companies:
1. Ting
2. Consumer Cellular
3. Mint Mobile

Surprisingly, 2 of the bottom 3 companies are Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

Green is based on green, yellow, or red results and >=90 score.

Consumer Cellular has been inching our plan costs up dollar by dollar with no notice this past year or so. I plan to switch soon.

Re Mint Mobile. If you travel a lot, especially in the western US, check the coverage map before you switch, to see if Mint Mobile has coverage where you plan on going. I've been told it is pretty good in cities, but nearly all of Nebraska, for example, has no service.

+1 Consumer Cellular. DW & I are both on 3gb of data and unlimited calls & texts. (In the case of DW - Consumer is losing money on the free texts) Very pleased with the service.

I'm using UltraMobile PayGo plan for $3/mo which includes 100 minutes of talk, 100 texts and 100MB of data. Additional minutes are 3 cents per minute and additional data is 3 cents per MB. It is T-Mobile MVNO.
I think this is the cheapest plan you can get. But there is a catch: UltraMobile auto pay allow to set $5 minimum for recharge.

Last edited:
T-Mobile prepaid plan for 15/month flat fee. Unlimited talk and text with 3gb data.

Not sure whether this question should be a new thread or not........

DW and I use our phones as mobile hot spots extensively 3+ months/yr while RV'ing. We have a plan with Verizon that gives us 2004 gigs of data, 4G LTE, always unthrottled for about $105/month for two phones.

We really like having Internet most anyplace we're camped. The 4G seems fast enough and we enjoy not worrying if we stream movies, music or whatever extensively without a concern about data usage or hitting throttle levels.

But, darn, it seems expensive since we seldom use our phones as hot spots at home where we have Internet/wifi. Verizon will not let us turn the plan on and off. Once you give it up, it's gone permanently.

Can anyone think of anything cheaper where we could have tons of unthrottled hot spot data while on the road in the camper but not pay for that while we're home?

Last edited:
First of all, it would depend on which cell phone company has the best coverage for your area.
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and glad I did. Since it connects to my home wifi, I do not have a problem with dropped calls any longer. Plus I have unlimited data AND a lower bill. AndI have been able to use the phone while in other countries without a charge (I did not call anyone while there) In addition, there is a "T-Mobile Tuesdays" app where I get special deals every Tuesday.
All this a n a LOWER bill than I had on Verizon, even with a military discount.

DW and I use our phones as mobile hot spots extensively 3+ months/yr while RV'ing. We have a plan with Verizon that gives us 2004 gigs of data, 4G LTE, always unthrottled for about $105/month for two phones.

We really like having Internet most anyplace we're camped. The 4G seems fast enough and we enjoy not worrying if we stream movies, music or whatever extensively without a concern about data usage or hitting throttle levels.

But, darn, it seems expensive since we seldom use our phones as hot spots at home where we have Internet/wifi. Verizon will not let us turn the plan on and off. Once you give it up, it's gone permanently.

Can anyone think of anything cheaper where we could have tons of unthrottled hot spot data while on the road in the camper but not pay for that while we're home?

You should look into the T-Mobile or Verizon home internet offerings. They are $50. Just take the receiver with you. Then for phones, get to of the $15 plans from T-mobile. I suspect that is plenty for you.

You should look into the T-Mobile or Verizon home internet offerings. They are $50. Just take the receiver with you. Then for phones, get to of the $15 plans from T-mobile. I suspect that is plenty for you.

I don't believe Verizon lets you move your receiver around the country but it's been a while since I checked. I'll have to go look at T-Mobile. Thanks for the ideas!

How much data do you use? More specifically, how much in the months you use a lot, and how many months/year is that?

The Ting Flex plan (which I just switched to from their old plans) has unlimited talk/text for $10 per line, and shared (always high speed) data at $5/GB (billed as you use it). So for any month with minimal data use (and picture/group texts use data), it's just $25 (plus tax/fees) per month.

$5/GB is relatively high rate, but if you save $70/month for enough months, it could all work out.

-ERD50

I don't believe Verizon lets you move your receiver around the country but it's been a while since I checked. I'll have to go look at T-Mobile. Thanks for the ideas!

When I tried T-Mobile internet a few months ago, the service was only good for one specific address so don't believe that idea would work.

When I tried T-Mobile internet a few months ago, the service was only good for one specific address so don't believe that idea would work.

Evidently this is not true anymore, at least according to this video:

https://youtu.be/tKnIcCL7R48

Also excited to say I ditched Verizon due to wanting a cost savings.
Went with Mint & couldnt be happier...
I went with a 1 year 10gb plan for $20 a month, paid $240 for the year vs almost $1k with Verizon.
Have had it for almost a month & has been seamless....
stoked!

I used to have hello mobile, $5/mo no contract for unlimited voice and text, and 500MB 5G data. It is their regular plan. They use sprint now is t-mobile.

Then I switched to tracfone / verizon when I upgraded my phone. Was thinking to go back to hello after unlocking my phone after 60 days but Verizon does have better reception in several my local area (bike path, friend's houses, etc) so probably will stay with tracfone after the New Year.

Back
Top Bottom