Best pillow for side sleeper?

We just traded ours for Serta side sleepers Reasonably priced and are comfortable. Plenty of sales on these, too.

Looking for pillows that don't go flat, prefer firm pillows.

Thx.
Right now I have a medium firmness pillow. When I sleep on my side I scoot the pillow so that my nose overhangs the edge. That seems to be the best position for me and the coolest too.

It does mean that when I switch sides I'll have to push the pillow around a bit but it becomes a habit and doesn't affect my sleep.

At least one Amazon link looked a bit suspicious for the Serta side sleeper. I might try looking into this at Macys after Xmas. I guess there are several makers of memory foam products like this.

Right now I have a medium firmness pillow. When I sleep on my side I scoot the pillow so that my nose overhangs the edge. That seems to be the best position for me and the coolest too.

It does mean that when I switch sides I'll have to push the pillow around a bit but it becomes a habit and doesn't affect my sleep.

At least one Amazon link looked a bit suspicious for the Serta side sleeper. I might try looking into this at Macys after Xmas. I guess there are several makers of memory foam products like this.

The two that we picked up were around $40 for the pair. We didn't shop around but did go to a store that always has 30/40/50/60 % off so that we 'save' more than we spent. :D

The two that we picked up were around $40 for the pair. We didn't shop around but did go to a store that always has 30/40/50/60 % off so that we 'save' more than we spent. :D
Spending less and replacing more often is probably a good way to go.

I don't know who runs the Sleep Council but this is from a Google search:
The poll of nearly 2,200 men and women found that 82 per cent of people do not know how often they should replace their pillows and duvet. According to the Sleep Council, pillows should be replaced every two years and duvets should be thrown away after five years.

I am hardly ever able to sleep in bed except on my side. Just find something with enough firmness to keep your neck straight with your spine. That is the key for me.

I love the bamboo pillows with ground up memory foam inside. They're heavy and structurally sound.

DW bought one for me a few months ago. I found it awful. Had more comfortable sleep out in the open with my head on a rock.

Did cut it open. They figured out how to sell scraps. No bamboo was found.:mad:

As a kid at my grandparents farm I slept on straw bed and pillow. Splendid it was.

I have been a side sleeper since birth.

What seems to be working for me now is this (now, bear with me! :LOL:). I bought 4 of the cheapest pillows WalMart had. Yes, they are not thick and they are kind of slimpsy and soft. One would be awful.

But with four, I can sort of mold them into whatever shape and thickness I want, and this seems to work for me. Usually I roll one up and wrap another one around it, or whatever. Then I add to that base with the other pillows to make more of a triangular shape. Pounding my pillows around like this adds some creativity to the otherwise boring activity of sleeping.

However, I admit that I am reading this thread breathlessly, hoping to discover a really good pillow for me. Somehow I just don't think it would be the same as beating my present pillows to death. :cool:

What seems to be working for me now is this (now, bear with me! :LOL:). I bought 4 of the cheapest pillows WalMart had. Yes, they are not thick and they are kind of slimpsy and soft. One would be awful.
I do something similar. I have two feather pillows in a single pillow case. It gives me the right height and softness with no bounciness.

Reactions: W2R
I'm a side sleeper. The best pillow I have found so far is a memory foam with a special gel covering to keep it cool. It is a gusseted design that is thick enough to support my head properly. I can't recall the brand, but it may have been Sensorgel. The only tag on it says "Softex" which appears to be the manufacturer. I bought it at Macy's, but I see one just like it on Amazon. "Sensorgel Advanced Icool Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow Bedding" It is expensive, but my chronic neck pain went away immediately when I switched to this pillow, so it was worth the price.

Last edited:
Spending less and replacing more often is probably a good way to go.

I don't know who runs the Sleep Council but this is from a Google search:

The poll of nearly 2,200 men and women found that 82 per cent of people do not know how often they should replace their pillows and duvet. According to the Sleep Council, pillows should be replaced every two years and duvets should be thrown away after five years.

I'm always suspicious of claims like these - I wonder if the Sleep Council is really the Pillow Manufacturing Council. Kind of like mattress discount stores saying you should replace your mattress every seven years or the car dealership saying you should change your oil every 3,000 miles.

Possibly true, but I discount these based on the source.

Back
Top Bottom