Best Texas Beach Towns

SPI was a nice break from winter. Great shrimp, Pretty beaches, but not a whole lot to do - Which is what we wanted.

Spent a week in SPI and agree with Gravity. But still considering a full month visit next winter. If I explored the nearby cities, did some birding, and visited a friend in Corpus Christi for a few days, I think there would be enough to keep me occupied. I loved the beach town vibe and seafood and appreciated the clubs and restaurants with live music in late afternoon or early evening. Jose's Oyster Bar was my favorite restaurant. The Winter Texans that I met were usually from the upper midwest and very friendly although about ten years older than me.

Mustang Island had more museums and attractions in the nearby area that interested me than in SPI. But not a lot of condos or hotels on the beach. And too close to Corpus Christi.

Last edited:
There is even better birding inland if you want more exploring from SPI.

Brownsville is a major city not far from SPI and has some attractions.

Plenty to do in the Rio Grande Valley.

Currently in SPI. The causeway was great, no issues. Have not been to same restaurant twice-been here 11 days so far. Beaches, amazing, even when windy and in mid 60’s. Friendly folks willing to share hidden secrets. We’re having a great time and reserved a suite for 2021 for a month. The more remote beaches offer off leash playtime for our dog. Lovely island, great food and friendly people. I’m told “get out of town by March 1.”

It’s really the 2nd week of March where SPI is overwhelmed by Spring Breakers, so depending on the calendar, the first few days in March might be OK.

SPI is awesome in April although Easter can be a bit crazy if it occurs in April. Migrating birds start to show up, but the island is pretty empty and lodging is quite cheap. That’s often when we visit.

I hope you check out the birding center and go up to the top of the building. Great views and you can walk back down around and around the building. Hopefully they still have a pretty good senior pass rate that covers a month or so.

audreyh1;2369711 I hope you check out the birding center and go up to the top of the building. Great views and you can walk back down around and around the building. Hopefully they still have a pretty good senior pass rate that covers a month or so.[/QUOTE said:
Yes! Birding center, amazing. Went to the top and took pics. Baby alligators are growing. We were worried about a diving duck (greeb) diving very close to alligator. Lots of birders offering information and bird identification.
Went to Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Reserve. 100,000+ acres and 30 miles/trails. The birds were stunning. We’ve not been bored one day. Walking the jetty tomorrow. We’ve had numerous dolphin sightings. They just show up.

Currently in SPI. The causeway was great, no issues. Have not been to same restaurant twice-been here 11 days so far. Beaches, amazing, even when windy and in mid 60’s. Friendly folks willing to share hidden secrets. We’re having a great time and reserved a suite for 2021 for a month. The more remote beaches offer off leash playtime for our dog. Lovely island, great food and friendly people. I’m told “get out of town by March 1.”

You definitely wanna get out of there before Spring Break!!

Yes! Birding center, amazing. Went to the top and took pics. Baby alligators are growing. We were worried about a diving duck (greeb) diving very close to alligator. Lots of birders offering information and bird identification.
Went to Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Reserve. 100,000+ acres and 30 miles/trails. The birds were stunning. We’ve not been bored one day. Walking the jetty tomorrow. We’ve had numerous dolphin sightings. They just show up.

That's a really rough road to Laguna Atascosa - or used to be - so some dedication going all the way out there. Glad you enjoyed it - it's a special place, and our main spot for ocelot, although almost no one gets to ever see one.

There is a nice small boat dolphin and birding cruise run by George and Scarlett - https://www.fin2feather.com - well they must have sold it. Now run by different captain and crew.

Last edited:
Early spring break

Well, looks like I will be there that first week of March. All details not ironed out yet. Very encourages by Rhiane's posts. Sure it will be fun. Have not been there since college, when we stayed at the Cameron County shelters-ah youth!

I welcome any ideas on where to stay. I have looked around some. I get a lot of places will be booked already, that's fine. Still lots of spots seem like

Spring break begins 2nd week.

Well, looks like I will be there that first week of March. All details not ironed out yet. Very encourages by Rhiane's posts. Sure it will be fun. Have not been there since college, when we stayed at the Cameron County shelters-ah youth!

I welcome any ideas on where to stay. I have looked around some. I get a lot of places will be booked already, that's fine. Still lots of spots seem like

Aka Rianne....

That sounds right - 2nd week usually. I suspect that lodging raises prices in March already.

I stayed at the quieter north end of SPI at the Hilton Garden Inn near the birding center and the turtle rescue. The oceanfront room was a little expensive but there are partial view rooms with balconies that are more reasonable (and no other building on that side of the hotel to obscure the view). Clayton's Beach Bar was almost next door but not a lot of bars and restaurants in that area. Rianne is at La Copa and someone else on this thread stayed at The Pearl further south. There are more bars and restaurants south but I liked the relative isolation of the north end.

Last edited:
I choose the Padre South, top floor. Nice views. It is an older place, kitchenette, roomy right on the beach.

And even though it is March, no spring breakers till, well, probably Thursday Eve. But it is a bit like oldster spring break now. Lots of northerners with interesting accents.

All nice!

Waiting for Isla Beach Resort prices that come out in April for 2021.

https://islagrand.com/

Just a few doors down from La Copa but offer nice 950 sq ft condos. I'm attracted to the outdoor space, tennis courts and grassy areas. We toured several rooms, really nice but no breakfast included.

Looks nice. Are you thinking for next Feb? Guess you had a nice visit.
There were cooler days in the mid 60's and awesome days in the mid 80's. I happened upon Isla walking on the beach and thought WOW missed this place. DH not a "beachy" kind of guy but he loved it. We reserved at La Copa 2021, Feb 25-March 25 but there's a 72 hour cancellation policy which is nice. Hope we can secure Isla, not sure how expensive it will be.

Back
Top Bottom