South FL in April - beach town thoughts?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are thinking of a warm beach getaway to celebrate our anniversary. Our style is more of a laid back beach town vs massive high rise resorts and glitzy nightlife. Open to considering either SE or SW Florida. Priority is a beautiful beach, preferably not jam packed, in an area we could possibly rent bikes and ride around, walk, and just enjoy the beach.

We’ve stayed in West Palm and Miami Beach before. Never been to SW FL. Would appreciate recommendations for areas we should consider.

I can only speak for my county but if you can find a rental in Redington Beach, Indian Rocks beach, Indian Shores, Redington Shores, in Pinellas county, those are the more laid back residential beaches. Restaurants are a bit more spread out but a short drive or trolley ride north or south (to Clearwater or Madeira Beach) puts you in the high-rises you want to avoid and their amenities. Beaches are not so crowded but depending on the beach not as wide during high tide. I lived in Redington Beach for a year and very chill vibe.

Good Luck.

Can’t speak to an exact area, but if the beach is your main focus, you want to go on the gulf side. I’ve only been in the panhandle so April would be a bit too early for a vacation there, but the beaches on the gulf are, imho, some of the best. White sand and warm beautiful water.

We rented a house in Naples Park in February 3 years ago. From there you can bike to Vanderbilt beach or Wiggins State park. You are north of the touristy Naples, and a short drive to Bonita Springs. The house we had included bikes.

2 years ago we stayed in Cape Coral. Very laid back with lots of eateries, but the best beaches are 45 minutes away. There is a convenient small beach on the river, though

I’ve been to both the Atlantic and Gulf sides, and now live on Florida’s gulf side because I think the beaches on the gulf side are prettier.

I highly recommend Venice Beach, FL - specifically Venice Island. You can find everything on the island (it is very pedestrian and cyclist friendly): restaurants, Friday evening music in the park (bring your own lawn chair), churches, supermarkets, Venice Theatre (for live shows), Venice Beach and their jetty. It also has a fishing pier on the beach that’s perfect for sunset. The area has plenty of other beaches nearby: Casperson beach (known as Shark Tooth Capital due to large amount of shark teeth concentration on the beach), Nokomis Beach, and if you want to drive 30 mins north to Sarasota to visit Siesta Key (voted best beach in the US several times due to its sugar white sand and talcum powder soft texture) or drive 30 mins south to Engelwood and Manasota beaches.

Try to find a place on West Venice Ave so you are within walking distance to beach and downtown.

Check out Boca Grande. Golf cart community so bike friendly too. Nice farmers market with really good empanadas. The south side of the island is a beautiful beach. Take a ferry over to Cayo Costa State Park and maybe event rent a cabin and camp right by miles of unspoiled beach.

I'll shill for the Panhandle-Pensacola Beach to Panama City Beach. Later in April will be warmer.

Spring Break tourists are gone and not summer yet. Likely to be cooler than further south on the peninsula, but if you want to hang out on a beach, and walk on it safely without shoes, it's one to consider.

I've heard about Siesta Key (brother lives there), and been there. It's very nice, but I prefer the sugar sand, shell-free beaches of the Panhandle. It's makes a crunchy sound when you walk on it :). Diving is crap, though.

If interested, PM me for me specific recommendations based on how you want to spend your time.

We recently visited Dunedin and loved it. There is a trail through the town and it's small with a couple of craft coffee places and breweries.

Thank you all for the ideas! I will check them out. I grew up in the south and love the Pensacola-Panama City Beach stretch, but the water will likely be too cold for us in late April. We are wimps, so I think we need to be pretty far south in FL that time of year.

Another vote for Venice Beach

I highly recommend Anna Maria Island for the laid back beach vibe you are looking for.

It is pretty nice in Key West right now. No high rises like the bigger cities, and there are bikes everywhere. Duval street is vibrant with music coming out into the streets starting at 11AM until...well, I have not stayed up long enough to find out.
It is very different than laying on the beach all day...we kayak and bike almost every day. Lots of creatures in and around the water...you can scuba or snorkel as well.

It is pretty nice in Key West right now. No high rises like the bigger cities, and there are bikes everywhere. Duval street is vibrant with music coming out into the streets starting at 11AM until...well, I have not stayed up long enough to find out.
It is very different than laying on the beach all day...we kayak and bike almost every day. Lots of creatures in and around the water...you can scuba or snorkel as well.

+1.

I see OP is in CA, so they will be flying to get there.

You do not need a car in Key West. Actually, you probably don't want one.

We’ve been in the Keys since Thanksgiving and enjoyed Key West for the same reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, OP is looking for a beach and unfortunately, the Keys isn’t really a beach destination. However, if the weather cooperates, awesome place for Scuba diving! Unfortunately, with these northerlies, we haven’t gone diving as much as we would like

How about Siesta Key?

My brother lived on Siesta Key for several years, and nearby for many years previously. The beach is great, frequently in top ten beach lists. You're on a barrier island with limited ways to get to shopping/dining, so expect that, but it won't be as bad in April as other months.

If you go, I highly recommend the Columbia restaurant in Sarasota on Lido.

We decided to go to Hawaii instead. I was thinking late April wouldn’t be so expensive in FL, but it was pricey enough that 2 weeks in South FL was about the same as 2 weeks in Hawaii. And since we’re in CA, it’s actually easier to get to Hawaii.

We’ll be spending 6 nights on Oahu and 7 nights on Kauai. DH has never been to either island, and it’s been 30+ years for me. We usually go to the Caribbean or South Pacific instead, but got a pretty good deal so decided to go for it. Hawaii is definitely a beautiful place!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’m saving them for a future trip.

Back
Top Bottom