Better late or incomplete?

BobMW

Dryer sheet aficionado
Asking for a friend. Well honestly it's the boy wonders, and he's missing one of three W2s. Thanks

Asking for a friend. Well honestly it's the boy wonders, and he's missing one of three W2s. Thanks

He should pay what he estimates it would be if complete, and file an extension.

If he had direct deposit for that job, he could look at the bank statements for 2022.

He should pay what he estimates it would be if complete, and file an extension.

If he’s certain that he’ll get a refund, he can just file late. No penalty for late filing if you don’t owe money.

Maybe your state's Department of Labor would have payroll records that employers are required to submit to them.

No idea at all about approx gross or net pay? If any consolation, you can fill out taxes except the missing W2; then have tomorrow to chase it down.

Agree if getting a refund, no penalty for late filing. Just delay receiving the refund.

Turns out he's due refunds, first time in several years, so we'll file an extension. Thanks all!

As Jeer1 pointed out' if he is due a refund you can just wait. If he might owe some $ you file for extension and enclose a check.

I assume there is a problem with the employer, or he would already have his W2.

But I can't personally imagine getting to mid-April, still having no W2, and not having figured out a reasonable estimate, paystubs, whatnot.

That said, if he's sure he's due a refund, he must be sure of some numbers, despite not having refunds in the recent past?

But I can't personally imagine getting to mid-April, still having no W2, and not having figured out a reasonable estimate, paystubs, whatnot.

That said, if he's sure he's due a refund, he must be sure of some numbers, despite not having refunds in the recent past?

There is a large animal with a trunk wandering around this thread. :LOL:

I assume there is a problem with the employer, or he would already have his W2.

I didn’t get a W2 from my part time gig last year. Turns out they sent it to a wrong address and it was never forwarded, but they had a copy they emailed me when I reached out to them. So that is why I suggested contacting the employer. It was never mentioned in the thread why the W2 was missing or lost or if the company disappeared.

I didn’t get a W2 from my part time gig last year. Turns out they sent it to a wrong address and it was never forwarded, but they had a copy they emailed me when I reached out to them. So that is why I suggested contacting the employer. It was never mentioned in the thread why the W2 was missing or lost or if the company disappeared.

True enough. That's why we are always cautioned about making assumptions, a lesson I apparently never fully learned.

You have to make your best effort to contact the employer first.

If that doesn't work, then you file form 4852 as a substitute W-2 with your tax return and include an explanation on line 9 about how you calculated the amounts you entered for wages and withholding and an explanation on line 10 about what actions you took to obtain a real W-2.

If you know the employer's EIN from prior years' W-2s or 1099s, then you can e-file the return. If you don't know the employer's EIN, then you have to file on paper.

Back
Top Bottom