Better to get fired? Laid off? Just retire?

FWIW, In my state it is my understanding that the employers will typically require you to waive all UI claims if you accept a severance package.

Other state may have laws that prevent the waiving of UI benefits.

-gauss

Last edited:
gauss, that is my understanding too. You sign something that says you won't take unemployment if you get the severance package.

I used to run the unemployment cases for a Federal agency. The requirements vary somewhat from state to state but the general rule is that you don't qualify for unemployment if you are fired for cause. But just because your employer says they fired you doesn't mean they had cause. If you believe they are sticking it to you (e.g. firing you for not doing something like travel that you were promised would not be required as mentioned above) appeal. The employer will have to produce evidence that they are right. In some locations (DC comes to mind) the appeals process is heavily in your favor. In many cases, companies don't have an effective process to document their actions and to respond to appeals. In that case you win by default. My recollections are from 25 years ago so things may have changed but knowing government programs I doubt it. :)
The story about getting shown the door after they asked for 100% travel with no additional compensation...

I filed for unemployment, got a couple of weeks, then the company filed a form to make me pay it back! They scheduled a "hearing", just done over the phone, and I presented records showing 40% travel in all 3 week periods for several years. I won, and got to keep, what was it, about $250 or something miniscule. Only that much since I got work right away.

FWIW, In my state it is my understanding that the employers will typically require you to waive all UI claims if you accept a severance package.

Other state may have laws that prevent the waiving of UI benefits.

-gauss

In my case I was told I would get the severance package and I could apply for UI, so they were expecting it and would not challenge it.

Back
Top Bottom