Bidet?

Bidet? Have one, used one, want one or not?

• I've used one.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I'm going to get one.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I have one or more.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • OMG, gross. I'm sorry I read this.

Votes: 24 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobbieB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have 2. One for each bathroom. Not separate, built in to the existing toilets.

One is a "deluxe", electric powered, heated water, 2 self cleaning nozzles and a heated seat.

The other is an insert, a added dispenser that goes right under an ordinary seat. This is the one that I modified adding the electric water heater and again with the bio-bidet 3 with 2 nozzles. I needed the flat seat of a regular toilet as that bathroom is where I wash the dog in the bathtub sitting on the toilet seat right to the tub.

So, I have been a bit "bidet active" lately.

How about you? Anyone have a bidet? Anyone used one? Anyone want one?

I have traveled to Japan twice. My first WC visit in Narita... "the toilet seat is WARM!!!!" I admit I was there for more than a week before I indulged in the full experience. My second visit "why isn't my seat warm? I don't care if it's summer!"

and those toto's.... you knew you were really out in the boonies if you got only old school eastern toilets. I failed spectacularly at positioning myself on one of those.

Yes, if I were remodeling again I'd get at least one full Toto.

I was expecting a bidet in our hotel in Spain - but not a one. Not in several hotels in France either.

I have used the ones in hotel rooms as beer coolers.

My first husband was a plumber, he wanted to install one in our master bath. I said NO! He would have been dragging everyone thru the house to see it. This was 40 years ago.

I have enjoyed using bidets in continental Europe and in the Mediterranean. I do not have one at home, but if I ever won a gazillion dollars in a lottery and built a luxury home, it would be one of the features I would incorporate.

I've used one in Argentina. Shot myself in the face with it by accident.

I'm designing my forever home with my fiance. She at first wanted a stand-alone bidet, but (being in the plumbing industry) I tried my best to steer her towards an all-in-one toilet with all of the bells and whistles. We're still designing things, but will likely go with a fully pimped out Toto or Kohler version (or near-fully pimped out).

We got one with our new house. I'm still trying to figure it out. Made me feel very American...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have no idea about these things, although the idea does seem cleaner than wiping with paper.

I didn't fill in the poll as no sections applied for naive folks.

I do wonder about what to do after spraying, isn't it all wet everywhere ?
Don't the actual sprayers get dirty and spray stuff up ?

If it were up to me, every bathroom would have either a standalone or (my preference) a built in/addon ones similar to this like RobbieB mentioned. You wouldn't clean your dishes by just wiping them off with a paper towel, why do we clean ourselves in such a manner?

Sunset - after washing, good ones have heated air to dry you off, some you have to dry off manually however. The sprayers angle the spray, so it's not like anything is falling right on them but they do have self-cleaning capability as well. They're also retracted when not in use on the built-in models generally. The downside is the cost (good add-on ones cost hundreds of dollars) but they're worth it imo.

Last edited:
Little do I know as I always thought that bidets were standalone and for the fairer sex, while squirting toilets are just that and are unisex.

After using them in Europe, we bought a Luxe Bidet. Luxe Bidet Neo 120, White on White - Modern - Bidets - by Luxe Bidet

It is an after market, fairly inexpensive and only cold water. I thought the cold water would be terribly uncomfortable but we rent and landlord would not allow for installation in hot water line. Turns out, cold water is just fine.

All future toilets will have a bidet in our house.

I'll use one, if I can't find a bucket of sand.

Last edited:
Did not answer, because I couldn't find a suitable choice.

My parents' home where I grew up had a bidet. They had it installed in a new home. I myself never used it. And come to think of it, I never asked if anyone in the household used it either.

Never thought of installing one, or using one.

Last edited:
DW had two of those luxe bidets installed in the toilets - thankfully we still have 3 that don't have them

After using them in Europe, we bought a Luxe Bidet. Luxe Bidet Neo 120, White on White - Modern - Bidets - by Luxe Bidet

It is an after market, fairly inexpensive and only cold water. I thought the cold water would be terribly uncomfortable but we rent and landlord would not allow for installation in hot water line. Turns out, cold water is just fine.

All future toilets will have a bidet in our house.

I've just noticed that you got the same (or similar) unit from the same company. Yep, we agree.

Where DW grew up bidets are standard, and there was one in each bathroom, next to the toilet, everywhere we lived. No big deal.

Across much lf Latin America, paper products are expensive, water is also costly, water pressure is poor, and toilets clog easily. I suspect the same applies to other countries around the world were bidets are common.

I tried one in Rome- not impressed. As Sunset noted, I just felt all wet and there was a lot to dry off. I could probably go for a toilet with a built-in bidet and dryer- hey, you'd save money on toilet paper, right? ;-)

Funny story my Ex used to tell- some executives from his company went to Europe and thought the bidet was another toilet. Then they found it wouldn't flush. They left the mess for the maid to clean. :yuk: We took DS to Rome with us (he was 18 at the time) and I showed him the bidet and explained its function. I didn't want him to make the same mistake!

Last edited:
I have a bidet seat - my second (bathroom remodel meant I had to replace it.) Swash 1000 - love it. I first encountered these in Japan, as many others do. I don't use the seat warmer.

My bidet-like experience is limited to when an auto-flush toilet goes off while I'm still on it.

Ok, I thought I'd let this "sit" for a day...

Option number 4 is the reaction I get from most people when I tell them I have a bidet. They can't believe it, can't grok having a spray on their bottom.

And it's so nice - :) When you get a case of the "trots" nothing is better than not having to wipe. My deluxe model does have the warm air dryer, but I don't use it, just blot (and I really do mean blot) is all you need to dry the area. No more "itchy" butt and no more "skid marks"

You frugal types will find that toilet paper usage will go way down.

My girlfriend told me she really misses it when she goes home. She is only 50 and still has periods.

I am looking forward to the bio-bidet 3. It's a simple non powered insert with 2 self cleaning nozzles, but I have it hooked to it's own electric water heater set low, 100 degrees which is perfect. I found I don't like the cold spray. I have a "Biffy" in there now and I don't like the "swing arm" control and the 40 watt foil heater "bun warmer" failed in 1 year.

So yes, my house has 2 toilets and both have bidet "seats", I have found that bidets are like dogs, once you have one you won't want to do without.

I'd be concerned about the whole back to front trajectory of the toilet seat addons. Very bad mojo for gals.

Back
Top Bottom