BIL is 60 with nothing. I mean zero. Now what?

I think the problem is with the OP. I don't think BIL has any problem. He is living HIS life the way he wants it. It would only be a problem if OP decides to become a part of it.
The main OP problem, as far I can tell, is that BIL keeps coming around to his wife's family for handouts.

The main OP problem, as far I can tell, is that BIL keeps coming around to his wife's family for handouts.
Whereas the actual problem seems to be that his wife's family keeps giving BIL handouts...

Marriage is a partnership. I love my DW, she loves her brother. So it is my problem, like it or not.

I also get along swimmingly with all my other in-laws. And it is a large family (which is part of the problem since BIL has plenty of siblings to tap).

I'd love to stand up to this guy and talk straight, but it isn't that easy.

But I appreciate your insights.

I'll say this, at least the siblings are finally talking about it with each other. Apparently, dearest BIL was clandestinely asking for bennies from each one without others knowing. That's come crashing down. I have some faith that the siblings are finally getting real with BIL. Just yesterday they finally started formulating that tough talk I mentioned.

So with a shack and no electricity, what kind of a lifestyle does this guy lead?

So with a shack and no electricity, what kind of a lifestyle does this guy lead?
Day to day. Cash to cash. Always been this way. No insurance, no savings, no bank account. Here and now. Never seen a doctor. Suspected bone fractures and sprains were home (shack?) treated, and it shows (limping).

The no electricity thing is a recent development. Cooks on a camp stove, but has to ration out his bottles of camp stove propane. He used to have nice clothing, but now pretty much lives on old clothes that he hand washes in cold water. Apparently, the shack has a water supply of some sort. Not sure how, but he says it does. Must not be from an electric well pump.

Call it "extreme ER". In a way, he ER'd at age 25 or so. Found a few sugar mamas and lived off them or odd jobs.

From what I can tell, he'd have no problem living on SSI (something I learned about in a previous answer) when he reaches 65.

Day to day. Cash to cash. Always been this way. No insurance, no savings, no bank account. Here and now. Never seen a doctor. Suspected bone fractures and sprains were home (shack?) treated, and it shows (limping).

The no electricity thing is a recent development. Cooks on a camp stove, but has to ration out his bottles of camp stove propane. He used to have nice clothing, but now pretty much lives on old clothes that he hand washes in cold water. Apparently, the shack has a water supply of some sort. Not sure how, but he says it does. Must not be from an electric well pump.

Call it "extreme ER". In a way, he ER'd at age 25 or so. Found a few sugar mamas and lived off them or odd jobs.

From what I can tell, he'd have no problem living on SSI (something I learned about in a previous answer) when he reaches 65.

Seems to me his lifestyle is just fine except for the part of him expecting his family to help him with money. I'm probably closer to living his lifestyle than the lifestyle of some of the people on this board with $100K/yr budgets.

Don't give him any money but don't be too rude to him. He's just trying to get by.

Back
Top Bottom