bizarre "facts" in conversation

We have a situation on another site where a lady, for who knows what reason,created a whole Romanian family.
The father, who is a millionaire, does not exist, they own a fishing boat that does not exist, the daughter's picture is a younger version of the author.
On another site, the author claims to be a pilot flying organs for Angel Flight. Angel Flight flies patients, not organs, and there is no Angel Flight organization in the state she lives in.

I know someone like this that fabricates her life into an unbelievable fairy tale . It was amusing for awhile but now we tend to ignore her .

I don't get on Facebook very often, but whenever I do, I see the same nonsense, just in a different format. I just have to remind myself that intelligence is on a bell curve, and for every one of us on one side of it, there is someone else on the other side.
If it is on the internet, it must be right!
I guess the word to put on her is superstitious, but where that comes from I don't know.
I have sometimes raised the topic when I see the person and they have no recollection of doing it!

Now I just reply politely to please remove me from your mailing list. That seems to work quite well. If I get another one, I send a second notice marked as such.

I know someone like this that fabricates her life into an unbelievable fairy tale . It was amusing for awhile but now we tend to ignore her .

Is it someone on this site? I haven't noticed anyone like that. But perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited:
Like most of us (I assume), I've had several old friends who got into the habit of sending random ridiculous claims by email to everyone in their contact lists.

For most, I used to always reply with appropriate debunking references (frequently that would simply be a snopes link). In some cases, that worked well, and they were trained to not be quite so gullible.

The fun ones were those who were so clueless that they sent their nonsense to a long list of people with all the email addresses in the clear instead of using bcc. In those cases, I would sometimes reply to all with the corrections.

This is something I feel very strongly about, and would nip in the bud, not only with an email reply, but often with a personal phone call to the sender, and demanding (yes - demanding!) they contact everyone on that list and warn them to not forward it either. I figured replying to all just might get that email forwarded too! :facepalm:.

And it wasn't so much about correcting the false info (though I would do that to demonstrate the problem), but because some (most? many?) of these email chains were originated by spammers who were trying to harvest active email addresses.

Back in the day when the kids were young, and we all shared a single family email address on dial up, our old email got so full of horrid spam, that I couldn't let the kids check email w/o me going in first and deleting the garbage. I suspect some of this came from those email lists, but I didn't want to take a chance.

My otherwise intelligent SIL sent me one "I don't usually forward these, but..." and it went on about how forwarding the email would raise money for some orphan of the 9/11 attacks, or asking for donations or some such. A quick search showed it to be a scam, the boy did not exist, the original email address was shut down years ago, etc.

If it so important to share, send it to me separately, w/o sharing my email address with half the world. I don't trust them to use the Bcc properly, they might slip, forget, or have some other excuse - better to make them go through an extra 2 seconds of 'effort' before they forward it.

BTW - it worked. I don't get these crazy emails from anyone.

-ERD50

Actually, the part about Tylenol may be true. They came out with some studies in the past week or so that show a correlation.

Taking common pain reliever Tylenol may reduce empathy, study says - CBS News

Well I just don't care. LOL!

I guess if opioids and steroid pain relievers change a personality that acetaminophen pain relievers may also have affects on ones personality.

Here's where the hard part comes in. You found that on a mainstream site, he found it on what I consider a conspiracy theorist site. Same place he read HIV isn't real. It's the over abundance of info, not the lack of it that's the problem.

I am sorry, but the vision of a flying organ just caused me to blow coffee through my nose. And that was just the first vision, which was of my late Dad's old Hammond electric organ that used to take up half our living room.

Did that flying organ have a leslie with it?

Did that flying organ have a leslie with it?

Well, those rotating horns almost do make them look like they could take off!

For those unfamiliar with Don Leslie's invention to make the Hammond organ sound more 'live', and also emulate the 'tremulant' effect of a theater organ:

http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/leslie-speaker_9878691.jpg

BTW, Laurens Hammond hated the addition of a Leslie speaker to his invention, and tried to block the sale of them.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom