Black Friday 2011...here we go again

The only black friday nonsense I will actually be potentially interested in is the ING Direct black Friday promotion. Sometimes they offer really attractive stuff.

The only black friday nonsense I will actually be potentially interested in is the ING Direct black Friday promotion. Sometimes they offer really attractive stuff.

They are gonna double my interest rate from 1%? COOL!!!!!!!!!!

They are gonna double my interest rate from 1%? COOL!!!!!!!!!!

In the past they have offered well below market mortgage deals, CD specials, cash bonuses for opening new accounts, etc. All stuff I am a lot more interested in than 50% off a new turnip twaddler.

For the States it's called Black Friday, which is before Christmas, for us it's called Boxing Day which is the day after Christmas. Let the sales begin!

DW told me yesterday that "Spenderina" SIL and her #1 daughter went out on a 9-hour shopping marathon, apparently stopping only when the car wouldn't hold any more packages. I suggested that perhaps her next purchase should be a truck.

I'd rather have surgery. Well, not quite, but almost.

So apparently some are doing their part to kickstart the economy. Of course, they'll be making payments for the next... who knows?

My wife and I have a strict no gifts policy around holidays and birthdays. We neither give nor recieve. The people we enjoy being around either appreciate or tolerate it.

We do allow for spontaneous gifts. If I see something I'd like to give someone, I buy it and give it to them, just because. Much more pleasant IMO.

pimpmyretirement said:
My wife and I have a strict no gifts policy around holidays and birthdays. We neither give nor recieve. The people we enjoy being around either appreciate or tolerate it.

We do allow for spontaneous gifts. If I see something I'd like to give someone, I buy it and give it to them, just because. Much more pleasant IMO.

Good idea! You dont have to deal with a gift you dont want or need, and in return you dont have to worry about anyone judging what you gave them. Seems like many people I know just give each other gift cards. It would be easier to keep the money yourself than to give and recieve gift cards. I personally would rather just have the get togethers, and leave the gifts for the kids.

I wonder what percentage of black Friday shoppers are buying presents for others, and what percentage are buying things for themselves.

I'm buying 100% for me if there is anything intriguing.

Right now the most intriguing item is the Nook Simple Touch Limited Edition for $79 in stores on Black Friday only.

So what I want to know is what is the difference between the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch Limited Edition.

Last edited:
I bought this infrared heater from Menards today for $120. I've been out of town so when I got home, checked my mail (postal mail) and there was this ad, the same heater, $50 off on Black Friday, from 6-11 am.

Now I gotta decide, do I try to "market time" Black Friday and do a buy at discount/return original one to save $50. Or do I just forget it and not fight the crowd and stay home?

As of now, I leaning towards the latter.

I'm going to Menard's also. I hope they're having a sale on paintable caulk. But I'm not going to like the checkout lines.

I'm going to Menard's also. I hope they're having a sale on paintable caulk. But I'm not going to like the checkout lines.
Probably not...

Attachments

• heller.jpg
    heller.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 9
How much paintable caulk do you have to buy on sale to make it worth the checkout lines?!?

It's just past 5 am here. Well, soon I'm off to Menard's to check out their Black Friday sale :)

How much paintable caulk do you have to buy on sale to make it worth the checkout lines?!?

I would have to buy about 100 tubes at half price in order to offset the frustration that I experienced last year. But I go to Menard's every Friday, so I'll just have to deal with it. I should be able to go through the 6 items or less line - maybe that will be less painful.

A few year back, I got up early and waited in line for about 30 minutes at Conns to buy our current big screen TV to save several hundred $s. That will be my last Black Friday event waiting in line. I don't even like shopping during the non-holiday times. Now using the internet, thats a different matter.

We try to avoid any type of store on black friday. Parking lots are dangerous and people get a bit crazy. I remember 5 or 6 years ago turbotax released it's tax package the day after thanksgiving and I went to buy it at Best Buy. A mistake for 2 reasons: the SW wasn't yet functional due to unsettled tax legislation and there was a line out the door of people waiting to pay for stuff.

The lines were shorter during food rationing in Venezuela. I can't imagine what is so compelling about buying stuff today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom